Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Gaming Accessories Atrocities

Options
  • 24-07-2014 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Lets be honest for all gaming greatness from controllers to videogames there has been alot of ****e that have been thrown in the Abyss , forgotten until now. Its easy to laugh at some of things big publishers and investors invested in that they thought would be big bucks for there pockets but ended up becoming memes and abominations. Should be fun to listen to any of these things people came across as kids.

Wonderbook:

Anyone remember this for sony ?? the only thing I remember of this was going into xtravision and right beside the door was boxes of these that were pilled up that no one bought. Even watching E3 I sat there shell shocked just how stupid this looked.

All this Bull**** right here:

Balance boards to speed board

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

ASCII Grip one handed pad for Playstation One, remember a few nutjobs telling me it would come in handy for Tomb Raider. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank god those accessories don't really exist today. Before, the market was flooded with them, and companies selling them knew they were selling absolute cr*p, but because information channels were few and far between, we bought things like that based on pure marketing spin. I don't think any 3rd party accessories claimed to be what they said they were. In fact, you could probably plot the relationship on a graph between the fantasticalness of the claim and the eventual sh*tness of the product and come out with a straight 45 degree line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I basically never buy accessories tbh. I have a 360 controller for my PC which doesn't really count, have a Sony Pulse Elite headset which again doesn't really count, and that's it. I just don't think they're worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

you talk like its a thing of the past!

41wGz0PIiIL._SX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wii-Sports-Resort-White-Nintendo/dp/B002MQLPJ0

while theres consoles, theres gonna be plastic tat peddled alongside

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

powerglove.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Back in the day when you'd go to a friends house and you'd be handed a MadCatz controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Madcatz? Luxury! back in my day we used t'use a stick and some cat guts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I had a MadCatz controller for the Dreamcast. It wore out very fast compared to the official controller. Used it alot for Capcom Vs Marvel 2 and SNK King of Fighters and eventually the rubber on the grips and the analog stick just wore out to the point couldn't use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Wossack wrote: »
    you talk like its a thing of the past!

41wGz0PIiIL._SX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wii-Sports-Resort-White-Nintendo/dp/B002MQLPJ0

while theres consoles, theres gonna be plastic tat peddled alongside

Shouldnt this have a NSFW warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

some very questionable ones there alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Years and years ago, Arnotts had one of these things sitting in their "games" section in the Electronics department. I don't think it ever sold...

SpaceOrb.jpg

DSCF1087.JPG

According to the internets they also licence the tech for a Playstation controller.

DSCF1080.JPG

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gizmo wrote: »
    DSCF1080.JPG

Bop it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

17xkhe1w8uulnjpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

It was disappointing the pocketstation never got released.
    220px-Sony-PocketStation.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bought one of these for the original xbox and had one night of hilarious fun over xmas playing some snowboarding game..and er..that was it..

XB-Freestyler-Board.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

^ wasn't there a terrible Tony Hawks peripheral with last gen consoles that was like this.... but more terrible and cost like €120 with the (by all accounts) **** game

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    17xkhe1w8uulnjpg.jpg

:eek: And there was me thinking kids were working in sweat shops not poor old NES consoles, wonder was there a Famicom edition? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

I love how this is the advert on the touch site

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

gizmo wrote: »
    SpaceOrb.jpg

DSCF1087.JPG

According to the internets they also licence the tech for a Playstation controller.

DSCF1080.JPG

Nope.

I don't think the PS one was ever going to be of use but the other one, for the PC, was actually purpose designed for manipulating objects in 3d space, but you're right, didn't sell.

The Pocketstation has still got roots remaining here, even though it never arrived.
    The Pal edition of Ridge Racer type IV for the PS has a Pocketstation function that works.
    Shienmiru on the PS, available via PSN, has a Pocketstation mode in its extras section.

I love good weird accessories, the Gametrak is actually really really effective but awkward to use, a couple of decent golf games on it though.
    The NeGcon is brilliant on the PS as well, allowing real analogue racing control without a wheel, used it with great results on Wipeout and it's sequel, as well known lots of racers on the system, before the Analogue/Dual Shock controllers took over.

Final Fantasy VIII had a Chocobo mini game for Pocketstation, remember paying £35 in London in a dingy import shop in 2001 for my secondhand Pocketstation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must pick one up, the VMU for the Dreamcast was a more sophisticated device, and was certainly officially supported, forming an important part of the DC setup.
    Pity the battery life was so bloody awful!

Advertisement