Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remote Heating (Nest/Salus/internet thermostats)

Options
  • 24-07-2014 10:11pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of buying an apartment at the moment and would like to get something like a nest.

My thoughts were that I'd the heating would be 3 zone (i.e. the bedrooms, the living/kitchen and water).

The nest seems to be something I would like and the fact that it's been acquired by Google means that it will probably be continuously developed.

The heating system as the moment is a gas boiler (approx 15 years old) it's not condensing. There's no zone at the moment.

What would I need to do to get zones setup and would the nest work for me?

Would appreciate any recommendations you might have in relation to installers etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying an apartment at the moment and would like to get something like a nest.

My thoughts were that I'd the heating would be 3 zone (i.e. the bedrooms, the living/kitchen and water).

The nest seems to be something I would like and the fact that it's been acquired by Google means that it will probably be continuously developed.

The heating system as the moment is a gas boiler (approx 15 years old) it's not condensing. There's no zone at the moment.

What would I need to do to get zones setup and would the nest work for me?

Would appreciate any recommendations you might have in relation to installers etc...

First off id replace the boiler . Then when it comes to zoning , a repipe may be required if your not already set up to have zones . It's not a case of install stat and happy out , unfortunately, but asides from that I personally think nest is gimmicky and expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Egass13 wrote: »
    First off id replace the boiler . Then when it comes to zoning , a repipe may be required if your not already set up to have zones . It's not a case of install stat and happy out , unfortunately, but asides from that I personally think nest is gimmicky and expensive.

It's not particularly expensive - it's €250 if you get years use out of it then it's pretty inexpensive.

What type of boiler would you be going for?

Any recommendations on decent companies in the D.14 area?

Thanking you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Shane732 wrote: »
    It's not particularly expensive - it's €250 if you get years use out of it then it's pretty inexpensive.

What type of boiler would you be going for?

Any recommendations on decent companies in the D.14 area?

Thanking you kindly.

Bosch, viessmann or Ariston . Pm johnniek on here , I think he covers that area .

Advertisement