Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

admin password

Options
  • 10-07-2014 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

a guy at works comp xp is frazzled.
    dont know admin password to repair and avoid 7 yrs loss of work

is ophcrack reliable?

i am an admin user on my comp but we have a server and a network of several computers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

is ophcrack reliable

Yes, and worth a shot in my opinion.

You could try resetting the password using a linux live cd too (ubuntu).

Link.

If you wanted to boot a live cd you still have access to the c drive and could copy files to an external usb drive too. So they're not 'lost'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

what do u mean a live cd?
    i put in the xp install cd and it requires admin password for repair
    or no password for erase and install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

what do u mean a live cd?
    i put in the xp install cd and it requires admin password for repair
    or no password for erase and install

Did you try just pressing enter (ie no password) at the Admin password prompt? Some machines don't have one. Just to be sure.

A live cd is one in which you can boot an operating system on.

Linux and some anti virus programs would supply them. EG OphCrack is a "live CD".

EG Download the .iso file of Ubuntu here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/

Burn it to a cd/dvd.

Put it in the disk drive of the borked machine. Power it up and if you get a "press any key to boot from cd" prompt, press any key.

What it'll do is boot in to the operating system of Ubuntu, but from the CD, not from the C drive.

The C drive of the machine is viewable as an external drive (or could call it "internal storage"...can't remember).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Password crackers may not work if a complex password was used for the admin account. You should check with the companies IT first before trying to do this yourself. There are password reset tools but I'm not sure if they work that well for domain joined machines, don't think there would be an issue though.
    If its a work machine let the IT guys handle it!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yoyo wrote: »
    Password crackers may not work if a complex password was used for the admin account. You should check with the companies IT first before trying to do this yourself. There are password reset tools but I'm not sure if they work that well for domain joined machines, don't think there would be an issue though.
    If its a work machine let the IT guys handle it!

Nick

you dont have to crack the password. you just edit the sam file to a known password.

i user hyrens cd,, has an application called off-line password cracker, which works without fail. Only problem that could occur is if the drive is encrypted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I would use a CentOS or Ubuntu Live CD and boot onto that. Then copy files over before you go changing any passwords or files.

There is also the sticky key option, but I would backup everything through a Live CD before you touch it just in case.

I agree with Nick here, if there is a Help Desk at work get them to do it. If something happens, you can blame them.

you dont have to crack the password. you just edit the sam file to a known password.

i user hyrens cd,, has an application called off-line password cracker, which works without fail. Only problem that could occur is if the drive is encrypted.

That's what I meant. I have used a reset tool to do it before, think it was called NT Passwd. OP should be careful though as if it is a work computer, his colleague may get in trouble for interfering with the systems security. There are security reasons for companies locking down computers to begin with..

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

absolutely

im not comfortable running passwords cracking software on a system that i am not in charge of. thats not right to do that ...deleting it now.... also dont have the time for it...

Question:
    As i am an admin user why cant my admin password allow me to repair the xp machine down stairs

easy solution please?? thats quick

yoyo wrote: »
    That's what I meant. I have used a reset tool to do it before, think it was called NT Passwd. OP should be careful though as if it is a work computer, his colleague may get in trouble for interfering with the systems security. There are security reasons for companies locking down computers to begin with..

Nick

absolutely

if i wanted i could get the password but im not going to break the rules in getting it..

i thought i could just set up an admin user on my machine than access the machine down stairs to repair the xp operating system.

im not comfortable running passwords cracking software on a system that i am not in charge of. thats not right to do that ...deleteing it now.... also dont have the time to do that

The best option you could try is a live Linux cd as suggested above to pull down the files onto a USB key or drive. This is a non-destructive way of doing what you want. In saying that if any encryption or security settings exist on the computer this could be a failure, potentially cause further issues (although unlikely). Worth getting the work IT to sort this one out in my opinion..

Nick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your admin setting sounds like it's done on a per PC basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

As mentioned already, to copy off the files just boot up using a linux usb/cd and copy to an external drive.
    To regain access use something like ERD commander (or whatever the modern equivalent is) to wipe the password on the account you want into.
    Another option is to take out the HDD and connect it as an external drive to another PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Boot using any windows CD or USB, instead of doing an install, Repair computer, in the cmd line rename the onscreen keyboard to the cmd prompt. Reboot, and choose ease of access bottom left on the password prompt page. Now choose ON-Screen-Keyboard you should be presented with the command prompt. Il leave it there PM me if you need more info.

STEINBERG wrote: »
    Boot using any windows CD or USB, instead of doing an install, Repair computer, in the cmd line rename the onscreen keyboard to the cmd prompt. Reboot, and choose ease of access bottom left on the password prompt page. Now choose ON-Screen-Keyboard you should be presented with the command prompt. Il leave it there PM me if you need more info.

Probably not ideal to mess with a work machine by doing workarounds such as this. Think OP is best off bringing it to IT dept. to sort out.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

absolutely

im not comfortable running passwords cracking software on a system that i am not in charge of. thats not right to do that ...deleting it now.... also dont have the time for it...

Question:
    As i am an admin user why cant my admin password allow me to repair the xp machine down stairs

easy solution please?? thats quick

1. Who owns the PC , ie your family or Work.

2 What OS win XP , win 7 or Win 8, as there is a "default" windows admin password on XP and win 7

3 Have you tried goolgle try some like "windows default admin password windows xp" ;-)

I assume that the computer is not connect to a Domain controller , that why you admin password wont work ,they are the same as two stand alone PCs ,

mach1982 wrote: »
    1. Who owns the PC , ie your family or Work.

2 What OS win XP , win 7 or Win 8, as there is a "default" windows admin password on XP and win 7

3 Have you tried goolgle try some like "windows default admin password windows xp" ;-)

I assume that the computer is not connect to a Domain controller , that why you admin password wont work ,they are the same as two stand alone PCs ,
    It's XP as apparent from initial post, likely domain joined and running under corporate policy rules. OP is best getting the works IT dept to look into it. I'm sure most corporate XP or 7 installs will have a local admin password specified, leave this one to the IT guys imo..

Nick

Advertisement