Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nesting Swallows!

• 11-08-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have nesting swallows that have caused a big mess around the house, between droppings, mud to make the nests and so on! I hear there is some kind of spray that can prevent their mud attaching to the wall - does anyone know what it is called and where it can be got? I don't mind travelling to Letterkenny or Strabane if it is not available in Donegal Town.

I want to remove the nests when the hatchlings have flown and power hose the area and prevent them nesting next year, they - all five nests hatched three broods of chicks, so that was a lot of mess!

There seems to be a lot of bird around this year compared to other years - has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

muffler wrote: »
    Don't think it would work though! I would probably be the one leaving home rather than the birds, ha, ha, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry bs, I couldnt resist.

Apparently a plastic bag will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I had them last year, I left the nest as it was but they never came back this year... But a fresh nest was started in my next door neighbours....:confused:

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry bs, I couldnt resist.

Apparently a plastic bag will do the trick.
    Heard about using plastic bags but they don't look very well hanging up there! I was told there is a spray that can be used after the nestling are gone that will prevent the swallows from attaching the mud to the house when they begin building next year again! Just was wondering if anyone has heard of it or where it can be purchased and what the product is called!

I have had them nesting for the last 6 or 7 years now and am getting sick of the mess they leave behind, at the same time I wouldn't like to pull them down while there are little ones in the nest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

You could try stringing some old cd's (or the crap free one's from newspapers) together, I've tried this to keep pigeons and gulls away - its seems to work most of the time(something to do with the reflection from them I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

A LEAVE THEM ALONE.. They are only birds... and those plastic bags hanging from the wall look stupid..
    I have them too and just power wash the wall when they go..
    I have nesting swallows that have caused a big mess around the house, between droppings, mud to make the nests and so on! I hear there is some kind of spray that can prevent their mud attaching to the wall - does anyone know what it is called and where it can be got? I don't mind travelling to Letterkenny or Strabane if it is not available in Donegal Town.

I want to remove the nests when the hatchlings have flown and power hose the area and prevent them nesting next year, they - all five nests hatched three broods of chicks, so that was a lot of mess!

There seems to be a lot of bird around this year compared to other years - has anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Do you always get rid of the nests when they go off every year??

Perhaps you are just clearing up for them to renest. As mentioned in my earlier post.. They didnt renest in my nest this year.. Hence no sh!t splatters all over the front windows:eek:!!

Quality wrote: »
    Do you always get rid of the nests when they go off every year??

Perhaps you are just clearing up for them to renest. As mentioned in my earlier post.. They didnt renest in my nest this year.. Hence no sh!t splatters all over the front windows:eek:!!
    Yes I do pull them down every year and they come back again....would love to hear if anyone has heard of or used the spray that is supposed to stop their mud from sticking to the walls? What it is called and where to get it from, must try to meet up with the person who mentioned it to me and see if he has found out what the stuff is called!

Agree with Donegalboy about leaving them alone while nesting but wish I could prevent them from doing so, seemingly there can be a lot of bugs in their nests that can then get into the house - YUK!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gairdin nua

I am demolishing an old outhouse on the place I have bought and replacing it with a garage. There are five swallow nests and oh goodness what a mess they create doing their toilet on everything beneath. Would like to continue to be a hospitable owner of new garage but the suggested options are keep them out or be prepared to suffer the clean up, been reading about putting a sheet/ board or some such debris catching device beneath the nest to save my car's paintwork.
    Q. Has anybody come with with anything more ingenious, maybe a false ceiling or something innovative?
    BW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Whacker paddy

If you put a mirror or a piece of Perspex where they nest they will not build next year. Reflection from the mirror will frighten them away or the Perspex will not hold the mud used to build the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

i know this sounds strange but paint rapeseed oil on the areas they built. the yellow colour will fade after a week. we chanced it after hearing about it and trying black plastic bags etc, it really works.
    obviously i doubt it will work if they are building on a joist like i assume they are for Gairdin Nua, but the corner of a house your sorted. put some on as soon as they try to start

Advertisement