Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pub Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just added a review of the bull and castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭usemyillusion12

Ceaders pub in raheny, dublin

5 minute walk from raheny library. The people are freindly, bar staff great and then the best part , the drink :

This is the best pub i have ever set foot in, not because of the atmosphere, which is great, but the drink , any pint you order will be one of the best you will ever drink , possibly only topped by the next one you will have there. The guinness is amazing , i cannot get enough of it, I believe the irish times gave this pub 4 stars out of 5.Drink prices around the 4.50e mark per pint.

if you are ever in the area, check it out, you will not regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Anseo, Camden Street
    Without question the nicest pint of Heineken I ever had in dublin, and Ive had many. Bar staff are as sound as they come, even saw them fetching a bar stool for a lady waiting at the bar. Music is out there at times, brilliant at others, but always bearable. Clientele mid 20's up and good crowd, didnt notice any scummers anyway. Jacks are a bit of a mess, but thats all the rage in the trendy spots these days.

The Dice Bar, Smithfield

Absolutely electric when it gets going, this is undoubtedly caused by the music, it will make u want to get up on the stool and go beserk, It could be literally anything, for example they had Tom Jones Its not unusual mixing into Daft Punk Around the World the night i was there and it was awesome. Logic says they dont go together. Crowd good. Pints good. Toilets (see anseo)

Bernard Shaw, Sth Richmond Street

Younger studenty types, friendly crowd though, monthly specials and good selection of beers on tap. Peroni 3.50 when i was there, yum yum. Music every night of some carnation, usually bearable, more of the dance variety though. Crowd good. Pints good. Toilets make the above two look like the Ritz Carlton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Grand Canal Dock area/D4

The Ferryman
    It has good drink of the usual types(Diageo/Heineken owned) but very pricy.(5.20 for your Guinness). A traditional Irish pub but lately its drawback is that it getting a bit touristy, low level music in the background for a quiet pint which is good and it also a jukebox there :)

Ocean Bar
    Attracts a youngish 'wannabe trend setting D4 type' crowd(;)) but not the hob-nob types. It's a good place for having a pint by the dockside. Drink is ok, nothing special, it really depends on what type of drink you get to know if its good quality or not as Erdinger is good and the last time i was there Guinness was nothing special. Staff are friendly, has good food also. It ain't a Cafe En Seine, it just attracts the apt dwellers down by the docks. Can get packed. Never stayed late so wouldnt comment on the music available.

Ely HQ (hanover quay)
    Same as above, attracts all types but more relaxing with seating outside. Pricing as of writing is a fiver a drink but by god the quality is top notch. Had my best pints of Heineken/Erdinger there ever. Food is pricy though as its more of a restaurant for a meal out as well as a pub. Good selection of drink available with a tendency away from Diageo orientated drinks but still good guinness!

Slatterys
    Its that type of pub which can blast out sports events and has good music, a bit on the pricy side though. Again, attracts all the D4 types as a above but mostly rugby supporting ones, never had a bad drink there. Good seating outside, gets packed.

Beggars Bush
    This place is on Haddington Rd. Has huge area outside for seating. Delicious pints of Guinness on tap here. Never liked the Heineken though. And its the cheapest place for a pint in D4 land. It does not have noisy tv's or loud music as its more of a traditional place for a quiet relaxing pint.

Area 51
    Again, on Haddington Rd, it attracts all types. Has limited seating outside but has lots of seating inside. Guinness is delicious here and they at time of writing are doing specials on German beer(bottled) and cocktails.

Gasworks
    Attached to the McEniff Hotel on Grand Canal st, its a tourist type pub. Drink is ok as well as the food but a little pricy. Has had numerous relaunches, its not a bad place for a quiet drink daytime but has a nightclub at weekends, never stayed out late here so can't comment.

Mssrs Maguire (D2)
    Also, no-one mentioned this, great place for their selection of beers(homebrew) at good prices just like Porterhouse. It gets packed at weekends but a hint here, if you want a relaxing evening out but enjoy the atmosphere without getting crushed, stay on the top floor!

Flowing Tide (Abbey st D1)
    Nice spot for your quiet drink after a days shopping. Always had excellent pints here.

Gingerman (Fenian st D2)
    Good place for a night out. Rebel Red and Wiesse on tap is served here along with the usual suspects. Students from the local Trinity college(medical section) drop in here, interesting conversations :) Upstairs is the lively part!

gurramok wrote: »
    Mssrs Maguire (D2)
    Also, no-one mentioned this, great place for their selection of beers(homebrew) at good prices just like Porterhouse. It gets packed at weekends but a hint here, if you want a relaxing evening out but enjoy the atmosphere without getting crushed, stay on the top floor!

Homebrew is not the right term, microbrew would be better. Homebrew is what I do (25 litre batches, so 40 odd pints). Micro brew is brewing on a smaller scale than commercial mega breweries but still in the hundreds of litres per batch.

Do they still do their own? It was always a brewer (can't think of his name, Thebeernut will know if he reads this) that had an agreement with them and they were never keen to sell his beer and more interested in selling Heineken. He has since set up his own microbrewery in Tipp (white gypsy). So I am not sure if he still brews for them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Saruman wrote: »
    Homebrew is not the right term
    Yet that's what it says on the scrap of paper behind the bar: All homebrews €4 :rolleyes:
    Do they still do their own?
    Yes. Cuilan had planned to move Rusty production to Templemore, but he'll still be making the others at MM, he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I call it homebrew because the pubs call it that! Saying 'going for a microbrew' drink doesn't sound right, its makes little of the drink :)

Edit option not available for my post above, just to add....Ocean Bar, they blast out the music here on a Saturday evening club style. Its situated at the bottom of an apt building, wouldn't like to live there ;)

You know I had never actually been to Messrs but I went on Friday and noticed that they do in fact call it homebrew so I can see why you called it that. If it were me I would say "All house beers €4"

I guess it is subjective as to me homebrew is what I do but what Cuilan at Messrs does is on a much larger scale.

That said, I tried their bock (half) and found it was a decent enough beer. I will have to try the rest some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Messrs appeals as I am an ale drinker - whilst this is not strictly real ale - it i kept and served under CO2 blanket, it tastes superb (especially the rusty) and is as clsoe as you will get in Dublin. The price is exceptionally low, the service is great (hell they even found me my own TV to wtach the Ashes recently :-), the food is OK if a little overpriced, and the ambience is that oif a city pub. If you can get them, great old chairs can be had on second floor overlooking the Liffey. Weekends gets busy at night and by day, they will show football and rugby, with GAA on the back TV.

Mix of clientele from tourists to locals wanting to wathe some sport to transient types at the weekends (i.e. pub crawlers !!)

Bogs kept well, never seen a hint of trouble, clean, looks like the staff give a ****. Overall, one of best pubs in town.

Now where's that Rusty....

thegeezer wrote: »
    and is as clsoe as you will get in Dublin.
    It certainly is not. The Porterhouse have a cask bitter -- TSB -- permanently in the Dublin branches. They're also doing their Plain Porter on gravity cask at the moment. The Bull & Castle also has a rotating cask beer.

Though if you'd like Rusty on cask, Finn's Bar in Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipperary sell it, badged as "St Cuilan's Ale".

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    It certainly is not. The Porterhouse have a cask bitter -- TSB -- permanently in the Dublin branches. They're also doing their Plain Porter on gravity cask at the moment. The Bull & Castle also has a rotating cask beer.

Though if you'd like Rusty on cask, Finn's Bar in Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipperary sell it, badged as "St Cuilan's Ale".

Hi BeerNut

Any time I have tried the TSB (from the handpump) it tastes to me as if it is too gassy - sure sign that a small amount of CO2 is being used. This is common practice in the UK and can lead to over-gassiness of the ale. I could be wrong, but this is how the TSB tastes in both of the Porterhouses I have been to.
    I have been hearing great things about the Bull and Castle and may have to revisit.

BTW - the Aussie bar - the Sheepshagger I think :-) sells bottles of Coopers ale, some other Aussie, Kiwi and Suth African beers, and the wonderful Boston ale - and you can watch the Brits wopping the Aussies in the Ashes there !!!

sure sign that a small amount of CO2 is being used.
    They probably use a breather, yes. But it's still a hell of a lot closer to "real ale" than nitrokeg Rusty.

They probably use a breather, yes. But it's still a hell of a lot closer to "real ale" than nitrokeg Rusty.

Conceded - but do love the taste of Rusty and beats the crap out of Smithwicks.

So any other ales you would suggest (now knowing my palate :-)

By the way, curious as to what you think of the English beers available - Fullers London Pride and Spitfire as I will always go for these if available (even though bottled and not strictly real ale) ?

Pride bores the arse off me, both on cask and bottled. Spitfire is also really dull, and suffers from being sold in clear glass.

Though I quite like bottled Bishop's Finger, 1698, Hobgoblin, Fuller's ESB and Black Sheep -- they have a bit more oomph to them.
    So any other ales you would suggest (now knowing my palate :-)
    O'Hara's Red, bottled, at cellar temperature, is about the best of the Irish reds out there, IMO. Franciscan Well's Rebel Red (aka Rebel Red in the Bull & Castle and Writer's Red in the Gingerman) isn't a bad drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

It's official, the best pub in Dublin for Guinness is a tie between Long Hall and Mulligans

post 50 on below thread gives the final results of our boards.ie quest. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669879

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

bore me again with guinness.

but tell me what is the name of the pub in clifden, by the corner facing the road that goes off to the quays. the place was filthy, the bartender probably slovakian, and guinness like frosty chocolate.....

and yankees in skryne. where else would they let you wander up the hill with your pint of guinness and overlook the truly majestic panaromic sight of the hill of the kings, take that ancestral sip and actually remember to bring the pint glass back.. all hail yankees in skryne. come on there must have been a reason why they put the institution on the guiness christmas ads. but please do not ask mrs. o for another cube of ice... she may go crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 .seven.

Does anyone know what sinn é(in Dublin) is like?... A friend of mines dad owns it.

Porterhouse:
    Really nice pub.Sometimes has live music.Great variety of beers.It is a little pricey and everytime I have been there it has always been very difficult to get a seat.

Captain Americas:
    It is on Grafton street in Dublin.I think it is more of a restaurant.It does have a really nice bar,often has great atmosphere.It is very good for students.3 euro pints and 4 euro cocktails on mon,tues and wed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LamStock

wow, surprised my old boards.ie log in still worked (4 posts... wow i really had nothing to say back then)

Eagles House, Glasthule. Heading there tonight. Open mic with some amazing regulars and bottled beer promos. €2.50 Coronas, €3 for the rest (330 ml bottles) Which is always welcome. Best thing is the 9 screens so you can always watch what you went there to watch. 2 of the screens are in the smoking area, i don't even smoke but thats so cosy it's a pleasure to spend time in.

I'll take some photo's and edit this post when I get back later.

i'm visiting a pub every day of 2010 and making a video about it, yesterdays pub is An Club, Harcourt St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c59-API-sVU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

I was in Dakota just after the budget. The pints had not been reduced it was €5.30 Carlsberg. When I asked why not I was told that they couldn't make the change to the computer tills until next Monday.

I was in there again on Saturday 02/01/10 . The pints still have not been reduced. I asked why not I was told that they were not been reduced.

The owner Paul Keating had no plans too.

The Barman was not happy with my questions but f**k them .... as this is a joke. The government might aswell slap the excise back on and get the money off these bast&&d publicans.

.seven. wrote: »
    Does anyone know what sinn é(in Dublin) is like?... A friend of mines dad owns it.

Never had the chance to go myself but it is a favourite among the craft beer community because they have their own beer. Not brewed by themselves, mostly it is from the Franciscan Well brewery in cork but no matter where the beer comes from, it is not normal Irish range of beer, mass produced muck beer line up consisting of nothing that is owned by an Irish company (including Guinness).

davem75 wrote: »
    I was in Dakota just after the budget. The pints had not been reduced it was €5.30 Carlsberg. When I asked why not I was told that they couldn't make the change to the computer tills until next Monday.

I was in there again on Saturday 02/01/10 . The pints still have not been reduced. I asked why not I was told that they were not been reduced.

The Barman was not happy with my questions but f**k them .... as this is a joke. The government might aswell slap the excise back on and get the money off these bast&&d publicans.

that is ridiculous... i was in the Eagles House, Glasthule recently and the pint in the bar was €3.90 (€3.00 on mondays)

i'm making videos of the bars I visit on my blog, the Eagles House is the latest uploaded. http://slaintetv.wordpress.com/

i'll count the Dakota as one i WON'T be visiting

O' Donoghues of Suffolk St

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEy9DoDrNE8

LamStock wrote: »
    ...poured by experienced barman...
    :D Takes a lot of skill to switch an electric tap on, and then all the way off again.

:D Takes a lot of skill to switch an electric tap on, and then all the way off again.

i never mentioned an electric tap? please don't belittle the job i've being doing for 12+ years. there is a lot of skill to a perfect pint. thanks

please don't belittle the job i've being doing for 12+ years.
    Sorry. I've done it too. It's hard work and I wouldn't belittle it for a second.
    there is a lot of skill to a perfect pint.
    No there isn't. Diageo would like us all to believe there is, but it's just filling a glass. Ever blind-tasted a pint of Guinness poured into a glass tilted at 45° and left to settle for 119.5 seconds against one that was just hoofed off in one at any old angle? Ever picked -- blind again -- the difference between draught Guinness in a pub and draught Guinness from a can? If not, try it.

Guinness is a homogenised, mechanised, mass-produced product made by cutting corners in the most cost-effective way possible (which, for a gigantic multinational corporation is very cost-effective indeed). There is very little you can do to that stabilised, preserved, pasteurised liquid at the point of dispense to mess it up. That's just good business sense on Diageo's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

davem75 wrote: »

Really don't like this place. Was a regular customer for a good while untill I was treated very rudely from staff 2/3 times in a row. I'll buy my beer else where thank you. A little goes a long way. Pity because the place has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

+1 For The Long Hall gem of a place. Traditional pub in modern Dublin!

+1 For Duffys in Malahide. Amazing pint, great place to grab a stool and relax with a few of the lads. Decent owl trad session to. Very old Dublin establishment (I reckon some of the barmen new James Connoly as a nipper!). Perfect place for this weather grab the paper and sit by the fire with a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Never had the chance to go myself but it is a favourite among the craft beer community because they have their own beer. Not brewed by themselves, mostly it is from the Franciscan Well brewery in cork
    The also stock Galway Hooker :)

Advertisement