Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[SC] Amanda Berry is dead according to TV Psychic

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The 'psychic' was Sylvia Browne, which says it all for me. The woman has been continually debunked.

http://www.stopsylvia.com/articles/ac360_brownesbestevidence.shtml

What is sad, is the mother has since died. But yeah she is horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh but Sylvia Browne is one of the fake psychics; my psychic, that I like, is totally legit and doesn't use cold reading/warm reading/Barnum statements/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Good for you Dave!

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh but Sylvia Browne is one of the fake psychics; my psychic, that I like, is totally legit and doesn't use cold reading/warm reading/Barnum statements/etc.

Well she was the Go to psychic for skeptics, in the "all psychics are fake" argument.

On a side note, i am looking for a cold reader in Ireland if anybody knows any, cant seem to find one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

What is sad, is the mother has since died. But yeah she is horrible

My God, that is absolutely awful, I didn't know that.

I've heard people say that psychics are 'no harm', even if they do turn out to be dishonest. Well cases like this blow that out of the water. A mother goes to her grave thinking her daughter is dead, all because of this ***** trying to spin herself a money web.

Well she was the Go to psychic for skeptics, in the "all psychics are fake" argument.

On a side note, i am looking for a cold reader in Ireland if anybody knows any, cant seem to find one :rolleyes:
    Anyone listed here should be what you're after

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1076

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Mark Klaas who was inundated with offers from psychics after his daughter went missing (and was eventually found murdered) describes Browne and her ilk as follows:
    Psychic Detectives are the vanguard of a second wave of predators that also includes tabloid journalists, cheesy defense lawyers and photo-op politicians. They use tabloid newspapers and talk shows to boast about their accomplishments and predict success. They materialize whenever children are kidnapped and circle the cases like vultures on a fresh carcass.

My heart goes out to anyone who is desperate and vulnerable enough to use these people. At best they provide false hope and cold comfort through cold reading, at worst they actually distrupt and hamper investigations. I wish they could be stopped.

P.S. The likes of Montel Williams who doesn't believe in psychics and give her a platform are just as bad as the frauds themselves.
    She’s great, she’s a funny character, she’s funny, she’s hysterical!

Laugh it up Montel. :mad:

LittleBook wrote: »
    My heart goes out to anyone who is desperate and vulnerable enough to use these people. At best they provide false hope and cold comfort through cold reading, at worst they actually distrupt and hamper investigations. I wish they could be stopped.

I wouldnt say they use cold reading, that was a theory put forward by Derren Brown who studies it for years in a top college. Yet some old woman on a farm on her own can do it ?
    If cold reading was that easy people would be doing it to people to get credit card numbers and pin numbers etc. But we are not seeing that.

Also there is a question mark over the number of Vulnerable people using psychics. I mostly see hen partys and such do it for a laugh.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say they use cold reading, that was a theory put forward by Derren Brown who studies it for years in a top college. Yet some old woman on a farm on her own can do it ?

It's not some scientific thing that requires years of study... I'm not sure Derren Brown "studied it for years in a top college" either, Wikipedia says he studied Law and German! :confused: "Cold reading" is the fancy term given for it, but I'd say it's more akin to being a salesman than being a scientist; if you can bullsh*t your way out of looking like an idiot, and you have a neck like a jockey's bollix, then you'll probably be a good cold reader.
    If cold reading was that easy people would be doing it to people to get credit card numbers and pin numbers etc. But we are not seeing that.

I'm not sure how you think cold reading could get that information :confused: Can you expand on that? All I can think of is that the cold reading makes the person being read think that the medium has special powers, and so the medium can manipulate the person. I'd say that would be pretty rare, and probably unnecessarily risky, because if the person buys it hook, line and sinker, then they'll probably keep coming back to the medium and keep paying them. No need to start doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also there is a question mark over the number of Vulnerable people using psychics. I mostly see hen partys and such do it for a laugh.

You seem to have a fundamental misconception over what cold reading is and what it can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

was a different amanda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

You don't need a degree in it and it's not about getting stuff like pin numbers.
    It's about picking up and extracting information without the victim realising it, then using it to an advantage. We all attempt it at one time or another, buying a used car or whatever.

Lots of people are naturally good at it. Some have the neck, or self-delusion, to pass it off as a Gift. So the psychic uses cold reading to feed back information as if it came from her in the first place and the victim, if they're gullible/vulnerable enough, thinks "Wait, there's no way she could have known that, wow..".

I couldn't care less about those who "do it for a laugh", obviously I'm talking about people like Amanda Berry's mother and the many others that have been willfully deceived.

LittleBook wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about those who "do it for a laugh", obviously I'm talking about people like Amanda Berry's mother and the many others that have been willfully deceived.

How many people have been willfully deceived by psychics? and why do psychics top your wanted list of deceiver's. I mean they are in every walks of profession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 PercyBlakeney

Maybe the problem is that anyone can call themselves a psychic on the one hand, while on the other hand none of them have yet been able to demonstrate and credible evidence of what they claim are their psychic abilities.

The fact that many of those who have claimed to be psychic were in fact liars and fraudsters, coupled that none that I am aware of can demonstrate any credible psychic abilities, should be some sore of indication as to the likely probability of the predictions of these people.

Advertisement