Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How difficult is it to get into Oxford?

• 01-12-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭

I am looking at applying for a Masters in Management at Oxford Brookes University.

Just wondering, is Oxford really that impossible to get into? I have got a high 2.1 throughout my degree with 1.1s in several modules, and hope to get a 1.1 overall this year. In addition to that, I will have what I imagine would be as good work experience as anybody else applying, with an excellent employer's reference.

Am I wasting my time given that I haven't got top marks throughout university?

Secondly, is there anywhere online where you can view successful / sample Oxbridge personal statements?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Oxford Brookes isn't the same university as Oxford, nor is it part of the Oxbridge family. It's an ex-polytechnic that just happens to be in Oxford :)

Is it Brookes or Oxbridge you're planning to apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Haha that was a stupid mistake, i'd plan to apply to actual Oxford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No worries :P I don't know if many people here will be able to help you, try the Oxbridge forum on www.thestudentroom.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

If you get a 1.1 you should be okay, your application will need to be pretty good though. If you're going for a business/management masters you might want to think about applying to the London School of Economics as well. I think it's the highest ranking business uni in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

On the online postgraduate prospectus they list the number of applicants and the number of places offered for all the courses offered in Management Studies.
    They list 1820 as the number of applicants and 295 (full-time), 156 (part-time) places are offered. These figues indicate how competitive entry to this programme is but as they include MBAs etc take them with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement