Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vehicle

• 05-12-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Everyone will need the ability to get around, for supplies or escape.

I think diggers will be an essential mode of transport and defense. Larger one's that have catapiller tracks will make defending your fort from zombies easy pesy. Smaller JCBs in the tractor form would make great medium range vehicles. They can go literally anywhere and can climb obstacles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zn4eVaRhGM&feature=related

Unfortunately due the recession there nowhere near as abundant as they where but I still know where I can get both kinds and have my eye on them should I see any upidy corpses.

I also think traveling to the JCB at all costs would be worth the risk as it's such an indispensable tool.

Their also incredibly easy to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Volvo A40d ftw.

Volvo-A40D.jpg

They will go anywhere. Also very easy to drive and the skip would provide mobile living quarters/firing platform for weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well, if we're talking any vehicle, I'd go for:
    this. More info. It's armed, can go where zombies can't and can fit your mates.
    Or this.

If we're talking realistic, I'd take my car to a harbour, and get on my ass on one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

With the exception of the Yacht, were are you gonna get petrol/deisel for those mobile monsters? Plus they would cause way to much noise and aren't much use around small streets or cities. I opt for the humble push bike, pump and a puncture repair kit. Its light weight, makes no noise can be brought anywhere (over walls, up stairs, etc.), easy to maintain, how many of you would know how to fix something wrong with a car, not to mention a digger or JCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

With the exception of the Yacht, were are you gonna get petrol/deisel for those mobile monsters? Plus they would cause way to much noise and aren't much use around small streets or cities. I opt for the humble push bike, pump and a puncture repair kit. Its light weight, makes no noise can be brought anywhere (over walls, up stairs, etc.), easy to maintain, how many of you would know how to fix something wrong with a car, not to mention a digger or JCB.

Not much protection on a bike!

Good old 4x4 with bull-bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

junglecutter.jpg
    The perfect vehicle and ya dont gotta worry bout the zombies cause they getting cut up:D
    That or some variety of tree felling vehicle similar to that.
    To answer your question about where the petrol is going to come from well think about it fuel stations are in abundance everywhere in this country that will last for a good while and then well hopefully it will be long enough to take out a serious amount of zombies so then all you have to do is defend from smaller groups that will make their way from other parts of the country.

• Advertisement

With the exception of the Yacht, were are you gonna get petrol/deisel for those mobile monsters?
    Moving from pump to pump should do it, but then thats not the point. Clearly getting my hands on them in the first place would be the problem.
    Plus they would cause way to much noise and aren't much use around small streets or cities.
    Screw the noise. The armor and connons would sort that out.
    I opt for the humble push bike, pump and a puncture repair kit. Its light weight, makes no noise can be brought anywhere (over walls, up stairs, etc.), easy to maintain,
    true, but you'd get tired and it offers no protection. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

To answer your question about where the petrol is going to come from well think about it fuel stations are in abundance everywhere in this country that will last for a good while

Not if everyone, in the blind panic, drains the tanks to fill their cars to escape.....there will be no refills so petrol tanks will be drained quite quickly. And the 4*4s and other vehicles mentioned here are gas guzzlers.

What if you ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in a noisy vehicle that has just alerted every ghoul in the area to your presence? Chances are you'd end up as little more than canned food.

Bicycle ftw.

Pish posh, set up your base by the petrol stocks at the docks.
    These will be protected by the military first and fore most, so you can be assured weapons and support.

The first hill you cycle to the top of will be the death of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

where the petrol is going to come from well think about it fuel stations are in abundance everywhere in this country that will last for a good while

I think you'll find that after about 3/4 days, many of those abundant petrol stations you speak of will run dry, burnt up, have a lot of zacks around, or have some sort of gang around.

Not saying I wouldn't have a car myself, I'd go for a bus, strip out a lot of the seats but not all, and reinforce it. "Mobile Command Centre" Excellent.

I would also try and commandeer any Landy Defenders I come across, next best thing to a Sherman Tank!

It would mean having to take possesion of any petrol/diesel I came aross, by force if necessary, but hey, I'm not adverse to the idea. (Mad Max you have a lot to answer for!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Damn right. Thinking you'll actually be able to get one of these JCB's let alone maintain it for any length of time is delusional. However if you had a mechanic with you and some tools and petrol pump in your garden then great. I vote for a bicycle also, simple, stealthy and all terrain. The risk with any vehicle, bicycles included, is that you'll probably have to abandon it at some stage or another.

• Advertisement

• As mentioned in a previous thread, I saw an anti-riot armoured car on Top Gear a few days ago.

It had toilets, gun hatches, a grenade launcher, and loads of other extras. Plus the Hamster ploughed through a mobile home in it, so I'd imagine it'd be alright for running down the undead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

With the exception of the Yacht, were are you gonna get petrol/deisel for those mobile monsters?
    Plus they would cause way to much noise and aren't much use around small streets or cities... how many of you would know how to fix something wrong with a car, not to mention a digger or JCB.
    I know mechanics, several and their all on my kidnap list. Large desiel machines like this are very basic. There's little in the line of complicated electronics in them so very easy to maintain.

I don't think Ireland will suffer a major rush for fuel. We're an Island and these people have nowhere to run to. A full tank will get you from coast to coast in Ireland. Most petrol stations in the country have green diesel pumps that will be ignored by most people. There's thousands of petrol stations across the country along with thousands of private stores on farms and depots. Over in America oil runs allot of stuff and people will horde it but in Ireland people will probably be more inclined to try and get out of the country which you can't do in a car.

They will operate in tight spaces and narrow streets as witnessed up and down the country during the building boom. There's also plenty of skilled machine drivers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

The top of my z-day list:
    287247731_3d1201d61b.jpg
    dukw1.JPG

DO WANT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Undoubtedly the Unimog. A truly unstoppable beast and more versatile than any other vehicle. Its a better tractor than any purpose built John Deere, Fendt, etc and it is capable of 90kph+ depending on the gearing and tyres.

mercedes-unimog-global-x-vehicle.jpg
    2059692798_e29dff9a88.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvy1GIrQXg&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Get one of these and you can guarantee that not only will it smash through anything but it can be turned into a tank using just about anything that happens to be lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

http://www.weaponsblog.org/entry/armoured-talon-riot-control-vehicle-for-sale-on-ebay/

Here ya go lads, just keep watching e-bay and you never know, we mite be able to get our hands one, we could have a collection, it seats about 10 or something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A handcar obviously

wrrwhca.jpg

Ok, if you had the choice between a bicycle and a normal average car, what would you choose?

I have always thought a bike to be one of the best things to have around in case of outbreak.

The problem with vehicles is that they can break down at the worst moments. With a bike, you are not depending on fuel so even if you get tired it's still a lot more safe because you can still choose when and where to stop.

Cars are road-dependant, so in a car you are relying on the roads to be clear when in reality there will be a lot of pile ups, crashes, burnt out cars and so on. At least in a bike you can weave in and out of the car wrecks, or even climb over a pile up with the bike over your shoulder if needs be.

For flexibility, stealth and efficiency I think I'd prefer a bike over an average car. You are obviously way more vulnerable, but with your wits about you it should be easy enough to avoid being pounced upon. A car means you attract attention, and should you break down you are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Dirt bike with saddle tanks.

also, to your 'talon armoured car bank van', i give you this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

all i have at my disposal is a mitsubish colt, an A4,A6 and a transit van so i driving to lough gill and jumping on my dads boat and heading for an island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ZondaChai

A helicoptor with infinite fuel cheat on, also hydrogen bombs attached to the underside if we decide to undertake a scorched earth policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Oldsmobile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sell26.2

petrol shouldn't be a problem at all. think of all the unused cars lying about. just syphon the petrol out of unused cars. there would be unlimited supplies of petrol all over the place. you could drive around with a 50 ton tank and never worry about fuel problems. plus a daily fuel search and retrieval would break up the general monotony of day to day living under the invasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Don't think I'd choose a bike if I was in a city, all you'd need is a narrow street and multiple zombies and you'd be screwed. At least with a car you can knock a few lads out of the way, plus many modern cars of a certain size are nearly silent when running.
    It's just way way way too easy to get caught on a bike, plus it prevents you from scavenging anything larger then your backpack.
    If I was out in the country I'd be up for a bike though... less chance of dense zombie clusters and better visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

you can get huge earthmovers like that volvo only a lot bigger ie 40 ft high tyres ,trying to find link now

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

just tried to find it but got something even better instead:Dhttp://americatopten.blogspot.com/2006/11/largest-earth-mover-in-world.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

apc05.jpg

or

batmobile_Tumbler.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

The biggest disadvantage that you'd hav with a bike is that you'd expend so much energy cycling the bloody thing.....and food would probbers be in short supply so you couldn't afford to waste it.

Id choose inspector gadgets coat, james bonds jet pack and bob the builders tool kit. sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A lot would depend on whether the Zs are sprinters or shufflers. Would not fancy being on a bike with the fast gits from the Dawn Of The Dead remake.

Also what a lot of people are not taken into account with regards to petrol stations around the country, is that they need power to work, and with a level four outbreak, there is nobody maintaining power supplies etc, so I reckon basic leccy services etc would be gone faster than most think.

Short term I think I would try for something like a securicor van or a rigid truck, basically vehicles that are readily available to the average person.

Long term and against shufflers, I would be thinking along the lines of a bike for daylight hours, and staying inside my stronghold at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The ordinary bicycle - fulfils all immediate needs

Sustainable: No fuel excluding your own input, automatically eliminating the need for dangerous stops at highly flammable locations prone to accidental ignition from stray ammunition

Healthy: Essential exercise to keep your strength up during serious outbreaks

Quiet: With a simple bat or light metal object, the bicycle allows you to move whilst drawing little attention, and make a quick getaway

Reliable: Assuming lubricant and repair kits are carried, you do not run the risk of stalling, underestimating fuel supply, or being incapacitated from a puncture

Light and mobile: Whilst the zombies cant climb the stairs, you can certainly bring your bicycle - also can be lifted over obstacles or carried short distances on foot at reasonable speed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

Sorry but i think you guys are fairly glorifying the bikes here.....what about punctures?? will ya really have time to get out a basin of water to find where the little buggar of a hole is, all while you search for tape to patch it up?? remember the widespread mayhem would result in lots of broken glass scattered about that would leave you the wheels vulnerable!!!!

Advertisement