Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ixoy's reading log

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished "Luminous", a short story collection by Greg Egan.

Like "Axiomatic", this collection is full of wonderful insights, pushing the boundaries of science fiction (emphasis often on the science here). If there's a theme here, it's of genetics and biology. Egan once more asks the big "What ifs" if we could fine tune aspects of ourselves. Questions as to whether consciousness is pure biology or not, crop up for example and whether we could control emotions through logic.
    Only one of the stories disappointed ("Our Lady of Chernonbyl" wasn't as insight as others). One other then just confused me - "The Planck Drive" seems to require a working knowledge of theoretical physics (I've never felt so dumb reading a story). The rest though all have worthy elements and can address a spectrum of topics about humanity. Sure Egan's characters are pretty flat, and use introspection to address Egan's viewpoint (the stories are all, bar one, in the first person). When the ideas being explored are so interesting though it's easily forgiven.

Finished "The Judging Eye" by R. Scott Bakker, the first book in his Aspect-Emperor trilogy which is itself a sequel to his Prince of Nothing trilogy, set twenty years after the event.

Straight out - I enjoyed this a lot more than the mildly disappointing conclusion to the previous trilogy in "A Thousandfold Thought". Here we see the pay off to those events and Bakker skilfully creates the world where Kellhus has risen to a supreme power. We have a number of other returning characters, as well as some interesting new ones.
    Like the previous novels, there's a lot of introspection with characters. There's not as much philosophy now (thankfully) but at times the prose does get a little bogged down as characters focus on the significance of any- and everything. Fortunately these characters are interesting, as are most of their musing, but it does mean that you can't get through it at the same pace as you would typically for a book this size.

There are some great moments in here (the last chapter, in particular, stands out for some vivid scenes and descriptions) and Bakker does a good job of keeping the pace in the various story lines by cleanly separating. Never bored, always interested, I definitely felt it was a return to the form of the first two books in the "Prince of Nothing" trilogy and I'll look forward to the sequel.

Finally crawled to the end of "Fatal Revenant", the second book in the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

I struggled with this. There's not enough plot and too much turgid prose here. Donaldson's writing style means employing fifty words when one could do. However, many of these words you won't know nor will your concise dictionary. He'll have plucked them from a thesaurus or some archaic location. It wasn't just me - all the reviews mention it and there's even a website dedicated to this. It'd be okay if it added something to the book but instead it drags the pace down and makes dialogue seem pompous and stilted. I mean why say "nameless" when you can say "innominate" (Firefox dictionary doesn't like that word), or "limitless" when "illimiatable" will do, "omitted" when you can use "elided".

The dialogue would be okay if it was delivered by interesting, rounded characters. It isn't. The story and world are only ever told through Linden Avery's view and are barely fleshed out. The many faces blend into one another. Linden herself is well drawn but not likeable. She's too self absorbed and actually quite selfish. If these qualities got redeemed in the book, it would be forgiveable but we suffer the puissance of her whining throughout.

The plot too is anaemic. It could be summed up in a handful of sentences and most of it seems almost pointless by the end. Sure, there's a handful of decent scenes - and the ending is suitably climatic - but you feel you're wading through so much morass beforehand.

It's a shame because I really enjoyed the first two chronicles many years ago and loved the Gap series. This novel seemed self indulgent and almost pointless until the denouement. I'll finish the series because I've started it but it won't be any time soon.

Finished "The Born Queen" by Greg Keyes, the fourth and final book in his Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series.

I'm not sure what to make of this. The first half continued on with the same characters that I had grown to enjoy. After an initial feeling of displacement (some months had passed in the character's lives from the last book) I got into the grip of it and was enjoying it.
    And then, in the second half, it changed. A lot. Characters personalities started changing wildly. It felt as if the characters were being forced to serve the plot too much. It wasn't that there was a deus ex machina here - Keyes generally had established reasons for these shifts - but it was unsatisfying from a reader's perspective as it made it harder to care. Only Cazio came out unscathed and others, whom I liked, were given short thrift.

It's a shame that the ending was a let down because the previous three books were enjoyable and indeed a lot of this is too. It's just a poor farewell - the series deserved better.

Finished "The Company" by K.J. Parker.

This is the story of a group of famous war veterans who seek to retire to an island for a quiet life. Unfortunately their past, and present, conspire against this...

I really enjoyed this book. It had K.J. Parker's crisp, dry writing style that makes the whole world seem so very believable. It helps that the traditional elements of fantasy (magic, etc.) are stripped away. The characters that he/she creates here are quite good, although two of the company of five are a little thinly sketched.

Yes the plot wasn't as clever as the Engineer trilogy and the ending wasn't as rewarding as the Scavenger trilogy but the prose get me gripped and the way it dealt with the effects of war. I'm glad I read this one.

• Advertisement

Finished "The Engineer [Reconditioned]" a short story collection by Neal Asher (that I was reading in parallel to other books).

There's ten short stories in here and all, bar two, are drawn from two sources (and one of these is from his "Cowl" standalone world). The primary is Asher's Polity universe. We see the first Spatterjay story here and meet two of that story's cast in some of the other stories. Many of these again demonstrate his great ability to create alien life forms. Two of the Polity stories show how religion can grow up around xeno-biology.
    The second set of stories (3 in total) are part of his Owner series. What makes them interesting is that Asher's next body of work is a trilogy in the Owner series. I like what I've seen here and my appetite is whetted.
    Some of the stories are a little rough around the edges and do come across as early works.

There's one big problem with the book - and it's not really a fault of Asher. The editing is woeful. It's so bad that I started a thread on it. The contents list five stories (there's actually ten). Seven of these have clear cut introductions but three others begin in the next paragraph after the conclusion of an existing story. It's very confusing and very unprofessional (and there is of course numerous typos, etc). It's a shame that it's so very unpolished because there's some rough gems in here. I imagine his "Gabbleduck" collection is more polished but anyone who reads Asher should have a look here and just grit their teeth at the book's layout.

Finished "Rides a Dread Legion", the first book in Raymond E. Feist's Demonwar Saga and the 1346th instalment in the Midkemia series.

This takes place ten years after the previous Darkwar series and, like those, it introduces a bunch of new characters as well as some re-occurring favourites.

The plot concerns demons that are appearing. Now at this point Feist is telling us that the previous 25 books are all part of some Master Plan, continuing here. I'm not convinced and reckon there's some retconning going on but he does a pretty good job of upping the ante here. The plot, as ever, moves along briskly and there's always enough to keep you interested.
    The finale builds up well and definitely whets the appetite for more, with yet more game-changing moments.

The new characters are quite decent, although none ever really seem to match up to the earlier Riftwar Saga or Serpentwar Saga (IMO). Pug appears (naturally) and I've still got a lot of fondness for the character, probably one of my favourites in the many fantasy series I read. He works well and he plays a strong part here.

One thing bugged me again: typos. Seriously, Feist is one of the biggest names in the fantasy world yet his latest releases have been plagued with irritating typos, such as mixing up "two" and "too". It's easy to catch so why weren't these proof read? Surely Harper Collins can afford some decent editors for a guy who brings in millions!

Typos aside, I very much enjoyed this book and would eagerly await the next one if I hadn't seen so many poor reviews. Nonetheless I'll be happy to continue to the end (only 4 more books!).

Finished "Morgawyr", Terry Brooks' third and final instalment in his "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" series.

Good stuff: Characters were quite good and believable. They weren't omnipotent as you find in some fantasy, but quite frail at times yet had time to grow.
    The pace was generally consistent and Brooks' writing style is generally crisp enough.

Bad stuff: It's all a trifle dull. It's not quite boring, but it's never exciting either. The world of Shannara just isn't that interesting compared to where authors like Abercrombie or Miéville are exploring today. It also doesn't have the interesting mix of high-tech and magic that the previous book had, making it just plain fantasy.

It is, in all, an inoffensive series that's just a little bit too forgettable.

Finished "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. It's set in a world similar to Ireland where all the intellectuals (avouts) are in concents (sort of like monastries). In there they debate philosophy and science, holding the knowledge for the world. Indeed they debate the philosophy of science and where they interact and the book has discussion of mathematical concepts as well as quantum physics.
    It's also peppered with new words (detailed in the glossary but more fun to derive from context) that are used to flesh out the world and it works quite well, making the world more real and less like a clone of ours.

The book is told in the first person from a young avout and begins quite slowly until events begin to take interesting turns. I went in with no knowledge of the plot and that worked very well (I'd advise against reading the blurb on the back). The mixture of philosophy, quantum physics and maths was presented very well (Stephenson is great at bringing across ideas) and, although detailed at times, the book never suffered the lethargy that I found in the Baroque Cycle. It's far closer to "Cryptonomicon" in many ways - and that's a very good thing.

The ending is a little bit abrupt (even after 930 pages!), characterisation a little thin at times, but this was a very satisfying read and restored faith in me that Stephenson can be long winded but still deliver interesting and original ideas (and I will be vague because it's more fun to discover it as a reader).

Finished "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. It's a techno-thriller set in the author's imagined evolution of the Internet where reality itself can be blanketed in a range of digital overlays. People view events through a worldwide distributed network and the whole concept of knowledge has been altered...
    And it's a premise that, although interesting in a high brow sense, never really felt believable to me. Yes Vinge has an interesting idea but I didn't find it credible (e.g. how a system could be put in place and run in an economic sense, how it could be immersive if it was limited to two senses, etc). That made it hard for me to interact with the world - not a good thing.

The plot had some interesting ideas in there as well, including the ultimate mind control weapon. The book doesn't really deliver on them though and the different plot strands don't mesh well. The first two thirds focus primarily on character building, but that's ditched for a final third with the "thrill" moments. The espionage element would be good but it got side tracked by the introduction of new protaganists who were poorly written.

The characters in the book were done quite well I thought as we see definite character progression. What I didn't like was how, again in the final third, this was pushed aside and we barely returned to some of the characters we had been following. There was no sense of finality or closure in the characters and indeed in some of the major plot points.

It's not a bad book - it's just very flawed. Lots of ideas, but I just don't think they were well realised. It won a Hugo for some reason (even though it was up against Charles Stross' "Glasshouse" which was far better, even though Vinge is a major influence on Stross). His short story collection was better... this hasn't really left me wanting any more.

• Advertisement

Finished "Blaze" by "Richard Bachman" (a pseudonym for Stephen King). It's the story of a borderline-retarded criminal, conspicuous because of his huge size, who tries to kidnap a baby for ransom.

It's more of a novella than a novel, but it's a very enjoyable read. The character of Blaze is very sympathetic - King has always had a great knack with the "gentle giant". The time line jumps between Blaze's present predicament and back to various episodes in his life. The writing is tighter than some of his other works (such as "Lisey's Story") and the pace is very good, although the ending very obvious.

Overall, it's well worth a read - although do skip the weak "Memory" short story attached to it.

Finished reading "The Family Trade", the first book in Charles Stross' "Merchant Princes" series.

I really enjoyed this one. It's an interesting take on parallel worlds, allowing certain people to flit back and forth and use this to execute trade deals. Stross lays down some foundations for a much larger story to evolve from this with lots of hinted potential. The book definitely feels like the first instalment in a series - it is not a standalone.

It's quite different to other works I've read by him - there's no real focus on science. Instead the lead protagonist applies logical thinking to their situation - thinking about what a parallel world trade could do, etc.

Very enjoyable so far - which is a good thing as there's five books to go.

Finished Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book", my first full book by him (although this is closer to a novella than a novel).

The story resolves around "Bod", a boy who is brought up by the ghostly inhabitants of a graveyard after his family are murdered. The book is divided into a number of chapters with each chapter being quite episodic, detailing the event in a particular year of Bod's life. There's not too much connecting these - instead it's about seeing Bod grow up slowly. The final chapter itself ties some strands together and does so quite well.

The writing has a touch of gothic to it - the language is simple (in the sense that it's accessible to all ages), but there's more than a touch of darkness to it. It reminded me a little of Clive Barker's young adult book "The Thief of Always".
    The characterisation is done well - it's often melancholic with the ghosts unable to move on and Bod their focus. The mysterious Silas, Bod's guardian, is interesting and I appreciated how who, or what, he was is purposely vague.

The book went up against "Anathem", which I recently read, for many awards and, although this is good, it's a little too slight for me and I personally favour Stephenson's piece. Nonetheless it's quite a beautiful little book and recommended.

Finished "Stoneweilder" by Ian C. Esslemont, the second book in his Malazan Empire sequence.

This book continues on with characters established in "Return of the Crimson Guard". Like the previous book, it explores areas that are previously only been hinted at in Erikson's companion series "The Malazan Books of the Fallen". In this case it's Koleri, which has the awesome Stonewall that's featured briefly in character's pasts.

The plot is quite intricate and should only be read by those who have read the previous combined 12 books. Certain plot lines are advanced, there's some interesting revelations, and a future arc is set up.
    There's some very good action scenes in this - large epic scale battles. The finale is a tad disappointing as we don't really get a good feel for the grandness of the event. It's a little muted. There's also some mean cliff hangers that will almost leave you frustrated.

The characters are quite good in this - those from the previous book have matured. There's also some interesting new ones and we're introduced to one of the best comic characters in the franchise in terms of Manask, a scene stealer. Some other long term faces re-appear as well but it's too spoiler heavy to mention who!

Esslemont's writing has definitely improved with this one. The pacing is better, although perhaps the time spent between characters is a little unbalanced. He sometimes loses focuses on character stories and they fizzle out a little. I was never bored at any point and read through the book swiftly.

If you're a fan of the Malazan world, then this is a must. There's too many revelations and developments to ignore. It's a very enjoyable experience and, some criticisms aside on the ending and some plot lines, I definitely recommend it.

Finished "The Evolutionary Void" by Peter F. Hamilton, the third book in his Void trilogy.

Thought this was very good. Hamilton had a lot of plot threads to manage and, in general, he does it quite well. Some characters are left a little underused (perhaps just one too many) but most of the arcs are closed well. This includes arcs first started out in the original Commonwealth duology (which is a must if you're to get the most out of this trilogy).
    Action scenes are, as ever, suitably spectacular space opera. Hamilton also shows though that his ability to write fantasy, in the dreams of Edeard, are strong. The merging of these two story lines is definitely satisfying.

The ending is, in a way, a little rushed. There is a bit of a deus ex machina again here, but it's more than acceptable within the context of the story. I would have liked to have seen more time spent wrapping up some character arcs but that could be just having spent near 5k pages with some of them.

Anther recommended series from Mr. Hamilton.

Finished "Schild's Ladder" by Greg Egan.

The story is about an experiment, gone very wrong, that goes the seed of a new universe to appear and start growing outwards in our own, consuming the galaxy as it moves. Two scientific factions are studying it: one trying to halt it and the others wanting to understand and learn from it.

I like my science fiction with a good degree of realism, verging towards the hard end of the spectrum with its use of science. This is diamond and granite. There are reams of theoretical and speculative physics here, an overwhelming about. It is without a doubt the "hardest" science fiction novel I've ever read (and quite probably one of the hardest in existence). The author even consulted with the guy who theorised quantum loop gravity to ensure his facts were right.
    All this meant that I had trouble following some of the concepts here. Egan did try and have his characters use metaphors where possible but I still felt I was losing out on something and was disconnected. I was overly ambitious to feel I could tackle all of the science here.

Is there more to it than the science? Yes, there's some interesting ideas here that I'd have liked to have seen explored. There's thoughts on identity and gender for example that I'd have liked to have seen more of. I wouldn't have minded the characters being fleshed out a little either - a bit too often they feel like they're delivering a quantum physics lecture on behalf of Mr. Egan. It's not to say that the pacing is poor - it moves along at a decent pace - but there's not much in the way of action, more speculation.

It's not a bad novel, just a really tough one. I prefer his short story form where he's more about the ideas rather spending many pages studiously detailing it. I've definitely not been put off him, just think he's a bit too daunting at times.

Finished "Mister B. Goode" by Clive Barker.

The premise is of a demon who is trapped within the book, who wants to be freed from its pages and pleads with the reader to free him, offering up the tale of his life in return. It's an interesting idea but.... It gets tiresome. Pages and pages are spent with the demon pleading, threatening the reader to destroy the book (so much so that you actually want to at times).

Now if the tale he had to tell, between these exhortations, was really interesting it could be forgiven. And parts of it are, as well as being darkly amusing. Barker's quite creative in demonstrating the demonic cruelties the titular B. Goode wreaked. At times they're so horrific, that it almost verges on comedic. The story line itself is quite simple and it never fully involves either - there's only one main plot line and it feel stretched, despite the book's short length. The characterisation isn't much to talk of - B. Goode might've been more interesting if he wasn't pleading/arguing so much with the reader so often.

I can see what Barker was hoping to achieve here but he didn't do it for me, which is a shame as I'm a fan of his. There's enough material here for a short story but it's stretched and over-done even in this novella form. Disappointing.

Finished "Prador Moon" by Neal Asher.

If you've read some of Asher's other Polity works, you'll probably know what's going to happen in this novel. The question then is: is the journey worth it? Mostly. As is his wont, Asher doesn't create deep characters but they're enjoyable - particularly the Prador in this. If you interested in the crab-like maurauders (as featured in his Spatterjay sequence), you'll definitely enjoy their presence here.
    The rest of the plot is in some ways thin, and in other ways rushed. This is more a novella than a novel, and it means that at times Asher skims over events that could be fleshed out. There's a somewhat abrupt shift in time frame for some of it too, that I found disjointing.
    Those sequences he does focus on are well done and feature Asher's usual attention to gritty action sequences.

Fans of the series will enjoy it but I don't it's his best work and I think "Gridlinked" is a better entry point and return to "Prador Moon" when you're more familiar. A light read - could have been more, but satisfying nonetheless.

Finished "The Painted Man" by Peter V. Brett, the first book in his Demon trilogy.

Great premise to this one: In this world, every night demons rise up from the ground and tear apart anyone they catch. The only protection are wards drawn around you, which they flail against. Into this world are three young people and the novel follows their early lives as they come to discover how they can change the status quo of their world.

The pacing in this book is very good - it really is quite a page turner. Brett's no Miéville with the written word, but he easily succeeds in keeping you entertained. It helps that he creates likeable characters. Sure there's a fair number of tropes in there, but it's a case that he uses them effectively. It's not a debut on the par of "The Name of the Wind" or "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" but it is a very enjoyable book and I'll definitely pick up the sequel.

Finished George Orwell's "1984" (surprisingly having never read it until now).

It being a classic, there's not too much to say. It's very intelligent, chilling, political, philosophical, and insightful. At times it seems almost to stretch credulity, but Orwell's arguments and rationalisation for this future dystopia - where every thing is regulated, including thought - are well argued ("doublethink" being a particularly interesting, albeit terrifying, concept.). It's interesting to see the origin of so many concepts and words that have entered into our own language too - Big Brother, Room 101, "2+2=5", Orwellian, doublethink, etc. (all of which, incidentally, are recognised by the spell checker).

Definitely worth a read - regardless of what genres you typically would go because its central themes are applicable to us all, even now.

• Advertisement

Finished "The Gathering Storm" by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan, being the 13th and penultimate book in the gargantuan "Wheel of Time" series.

I've a more thorough opinion on my thoughts on the plot here. The book overall though is good, and it's up there with "The Gathering Storm" (and thus better than Books 7-11).
    Sanderson has a good handle on the characters and there's some nice development in this volume. I did feel more could be done moving some plot lines along though and I'm curious as to how much will be wrapped up by the end of the finale.

Finished "Stone" by Adam Roberts. Set in a distant future, where crime is almost non-existent, one murderer is freed from his imprisonment, to commit a crime of almost unspeakable proportions.

The plot in this is quite simple (and the reveal not particularly original). What is done well is how it is unveiled. The protagonist has only a vague set of instructions in his head, and as the story goes on he begins to doubt their existence and his own sanity.
    The lead - Ae - is quite well fleshed. In this far future, people are almost interchangeable as, wanting for nothing, they find little to distinguish themselves. Ae is almost isolated as a result. Roberts does a good job of making the character sympathetic despite also showing him plainly as a murderer.
    The setting is a bit reminiscent of Bank's Culture or one of Greg Egan's far-flung future. It's grand but not interesting (perhaps due to the blandness of the people, which is on purpose of course to contrast against Ae). It doesn't matter too much as the novel is short and moves along at a fine pace.

I enjoyed this novel although I'm not quite sure if it's a "Future Classic" (of which it's a part). Worth reading for unusually decent characterisation (for sci-fi) but not perhaps for its plot.

Finished "The Hidden Family" by Charles Stross, the second book in his Merchant Princes series.

The story broadens the scope of the first one, as Miriam begins plans to revolutionise the economy of three parallel worlds. The scope of her ambition really drives the story along and Stross is great at detailing her planning. Some of this intricate detail echoes K.J. Parker's meticulous approach and it's no bad thing. The characters are a bit softer and believable, although they're not the strength of the series.

The books are episodic in many ways, so there's no real conclusion to any story arcs, making it hard to judge independently. Despite (or in spite) of that, the world and breadth of ideas really drove the story along and I'm looking forward to reading the next four books.

Finished "The Night Sessions" by Ken MacLeod.

The novel is set some years in our future, after the Faith Wars (a series of world wide battles based on religious ideology). Now there is a "Second Enlightenment" with a complete separation of church and state/society on all levels. Into this acts of terrorism begin against church members and the novel's protagonists begin to investigate.

... And I never really cared. There's three tales in this and I never felt MacLeod balanced them well. We'd spend a large time focused on one character and then dip briefly into another. Their stories do interweave but never in a really satisfying manner for me and I never felt he dove into the psyche of the characters.
    I also didn't much care for the world he created. I thought the idea of a post-jihad world was interesting but the novel never fleshed it out or even the strictures of the new secular society. The odd mixture of AI and almost modern-day tech didn't feel believable (although it was very important to the novel).

Maybe I just didn't like MacLeod's style. Maybe it's impatience waiting to get my hand on "The Crippled God". Whatever it was, I never got into this novel and can't see myself rushing to read anything more by Ken when there's so many authors out there I know that I do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Wow. You get through some amount of books!! Good Log.

Finished "The Crippled God" by Steven Erikson, the tenth and final book in his Malazan "Book of the Fallen" series.

Really can't say much here without spoiling. Suffice to say it was a very good conclusion to the series. It wasn't perfect - at times some elements seemed conveniently, but to be fair Erikson had clearly put all the pieces in place in previous books. Nothing happened suddenly that had not been foreshadowed in some form or another before.
    The prose is a bit tighter in this novel - there are still the philosophical ramblings but they don't drown the book. There's plenty of time for some superb action sequences, battles on a truly epic scale that do a lot of justice to the series as a whole.
    Most of the characters are honoured too - some very well, some not getting as much time as I would like. It's part of the problem when you're doing such an epic story but, for the most, I was satisfied.
    Is everything wrapped up? No, nor would I expect it to be (and we were told it wouldn't be anyway). But the core elements are and, though I'm left wanting more, I'm happy with how most of the threads here ended.

One of the most audacious, but rewarding, fantasy series there's ever been and a very hard act to follow. 100% recommended - but only if you've read the previous 9 books and 3 Esslemont books :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's next on my list to read, glad that it seems to be somewhat of a satisfying ending, although I wish the series never ended.

Finished "Terminal World" by Alastair Reynolds.

Found this one very disappointing. The premise was initially interesting but Reynolds ditches it quite early in favour of a very humdrum steam punk adventure. The world we spend most of our time isn't interesting and is quite clichéd. One of the principal foes is so poorly drawn that it's almost embarrassing.
    The dialogue also seemed very wooden. The lead character is quite bland, harmless enough.

I wonder if this was some earlier novel Reynolds had lying around as it has none of the polish I saw in the previous, and excellent, "House of Suns". It's a mis-fire for me and I hope his upcoming trilogy shows it's a one off.

Finished "A Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss, the second book in his Kingkiller Chronicles.

Damn this guy is good. I've never found a 1000 page book so easy to read, so enjoyable nearly throughout (bar one sequence which was, at its worst, only decent). Kvothe is an excellent lead - highly intelligent, tempermental, insightful and many more. He's a great flawed person and Rothfuss does a fine job of immersing us in his world and his viewpoints (and, as it is being narrated, we get to see it through the eyes of his older self).
    The pacing could be considered a little slow - although it picks up a lot for the second half. At no point was I ever close to being bored though because Rothfuss could probably write a whole chapter about Kvothe watching paint dry and make it interesting.

The only real downside to this book is the long wait until the next one. A great read.

• Advertisement

Finished "Best Served Cold" by Joe Abercrombie. It's a solo novel set in the world of his "First Law" series and featuring some of its supporting cast. It's also really good.

It's a tale of vengeance - brutal vengeance wrought by someone who is often more tainted than those she's hunting. She's joined in her quest by a motley crew indeed - many of them with much blood and dark pasts as hers. The characters are nearly all interesting, deeply flawed individuals who, over the course of the story, are moulded by the blood and murder around them.
    And oh what quantities of violence are wreaked - Abercrombie excels in delivering gut churning visceral descriptions. He really makes the reader feel the pain mettled out, the sheer bleakness and depression they feel too.

This is a bleak novel, questioning the depths people are willing to go but it's not relentlessly depressing either - there's wonderful veins of dark and skewed humour. It can be as funny as anything Pratchett ever put out.

For fans of his First Law series, this is a must. For those who haven't read him - read the First Law and then this too will be a must.

Advertisement