Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm hoping to go to UL next year, if I can get the points for my course that is :p Anyhows I was looking at accomodation and that online and was wondering if I'd be better off in a student village (Plassey) or elsewhere? It should only be for the first year and I'll be pretty poor, using a grant to pay for accomodation, is Plassey the cheapest place to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi Rozabeez

You should find this link useful http://www.ul.ie/campuslife/fees.htm I'm living off campus and I'm paying €220/month in rent with bills on top of that. Plassey is the cheapest of the student villages but it's also the oldest but supposed to be good for 1st years. I've found it relatively cheap living off campus aside from certain bad habits like Apache Pizza, cigarettes and alcohold :)

Anyway hope thats of some help to you.

Cheers
    Rory

*edited to correct typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've printed off the list with prices...it's not too bad if I don't have to eat/drink for 4 years :p

Do you reckon there's much time for a part time job while in college? McDonalds here I come..

Rozabeez wrote:
    Do you reckon there's much time for a part time job while in college? McDonalds here I come..

Yeah there's time for it alright just remember to keep on top of your college work aswell (rich coming from someone who isn't the best at it).

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

This thread is pretty cool..i love when you do a search and you find exactly what ur lookin for! Plassey sounds good seein as im a first year..does anyone know if it fills up quick? im torn between UL and SligoIT but should i book accomodation anyway..i think i only lose 15e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Funkstard wrote:
    So I shouldn't be worried? Hopefully I'll get into one of the 6 bed apartments anyway...should be great fun. The village itself looks absolutely brilliant. Distance to any building isn't an issue with any on-camus accomodation is it?

Thomond isnt too bad fo distance. It would still be a 10 or 15 minute walk to the centre of campus (its a big campus:)) Some of the other on-campus accomodation isnt as good though. Capa Villa is a fair distance from the centre at the moment though. Perfect for nurses but not anybody else. Though that should change when the infamous living bridge opens next year:rolleyes:
    irelandjoe wrote:
    Houses are about 8 years old and are being refreshed this year. Each have 7 bedrooms and are very spacey with large gardens.
    I really dont see how a 7 bedroom house can be spacey!! How many bedrooms was it built with originally??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

dont see many people talking about kilmurry im hopefully going into first year and i think i put kilmurry down as first choice but i might have put down plassey............which should i be hoping for??

when i was down in ul i saw the outside of kilmurry and it looked like it was the best for location etc but just lokking for your opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'm not sure which is better tbh..
    Kilmurray is definitely closer to the main campus than Plassey. Any of the college campus accomodation can be restricting I've heard, with spot checks etc..Security patrol the campus as well ensuring that the noise id kept down etc..Would be a pain in the arse if you ask me.

I've been living in College Court for the past 2 years, and it's great. [Apart from a little fire incident recently...]
    I'm actually looking for housemates for next year at the minute also. [not advertising here];)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Mossin wrote:
    [not advertising here];)

glad to hear it!!! down with that sort of thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Just talkin to a secratary in Groody. The 6 bed apartments are €85 next year and the 3 bed are €80:eek:

• Advertisement

(however all ports were blocked except for http port)

if the http ports are open will rapidshare work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

RS works over HTTP afaik.

kaimera wrote:
    RS works over HTTP afaik.

well all the links start with http so i assume they will

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Plassey Village: Lived here this year (1st year). Its grand for first years especially if you don't know anyone. The houses are ok but they're not that homely though because they're not really like proper houses in their layout and furnishings. Craic wise the place was good enough, didn't live in the best part of it for that though and I'd say security have tightened up in the past few years. The people there were sound and it was a good location. I would only recommend it to first years though.

Next year I'll probably be living in College Court because i'd prefer a house over an apartment. Viewed two houses in Harvard Close yesterday, they seemed grand. The area seemed kinda cosy and apparently there are no residence. Its a cul de sac which is great cause there wouldn't be too many cars buzzing up and down. Rent seems reasonable too.

caesar wrote:
    Next year I'll probably be living in College Court because i'd prefer a house over an apartment. Viewed two houses in Harvard Close yesterday, they seemed grand. The area seemed kinda cosy and apparently there are no residence. Its a cul de sac which is great cause there wouldn't be too many cars buzzing up and down. Rent seems reasonable too.

As a current resident of Harvard Close all I can say is lol.....lots of cars come down the road to turn around and we had a little fire incident with a car about 2/3 weeks ago. Great fun :)

In all seriousness though it is a decent area to live in and there's rarely ever been any kind of trouble down here.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

rmacm wrote:
    As a current resident of Harvard Close all I can say is lol.....lots of cars come down the road to turn around and we had a little fire incident with a car about 2/3 weeks ago. Great fun :)

In all seriousness though it is a decent area to live in and there's rarely ever been any kind of trouble down here.

Cheers
    Rory
    :D Now that I think of it a car did turn there yesterday when we went down to the houses. I could have being in your house too cause there only about 14 houses there. Do you know if there is much of a difference between the houses on the left and the ones that are around the corner on the right?

caesar wrote:
    :D Now that I think of it a car did turn there yesterday when we went down to the houses. I could have being in your house too cause there only about 14 houses there. Do you know if there is much of a difference between the houses on the left and the ones that are around the corner on the right?

Nah you weren't in our house anyway. There isn't much if any of a difference between the houses on the left and the right. The first two along the road are a little smaller than the others I think but that's about it. The rest of them are all the same design. The only difference I can think of is that some of the houses have gas heating and others have oil heating (like our place). Gas seems to be far more convenient but it's up to yourself as to what you prefer.

Cheers
    Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

cooperguy wrote:
    Just talkin to a secratary in Groody. The 6 bed apartments are €85 next year and the 3 bed are €80:eek:

Man what happened to the day when rent in college was IEP22 a week???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ginger wrote:
    Man what happened to the day when rent in college was IEP22 a week???

Ah yer just getting old!! hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Suppose I am .. remember when it was 1.80 a pint for Bulmers in the stables and drinks promotions ran riot as well a dry cleaners on campus.. the world was young then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

hoping to head to mary i,
    anyone care to advise about accomodation in a short proximity with reasonable amenities???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Buttons007

Kilmurry Village: 1st year and 3rd year

Upside: 10 mins to middle of college and the lodge - so quite central. You get to know loads of people and I'd really recommend it for 1st year.

Downside: No washing machine/dryer in house - so have to use village launderette and buy tokens - its a real hassle so just bring washing home to mammy!
    Also - the fridge and freezer are ridiculously small for 8 people

Dromroe Village: 2nd year and 4th year

Upside: Fairly quiet. Very close to campus. Village shop on site. Excellent for 4th year as quite a studious feel to it.
    Downside: Same goes re: laundrette - particularly annoying when your 4th year and don't have time to go home!

On campus accomodation generally:
    Would recommend it because you'll never have to go without heating or hot water.
    The houses and apartments are really comfortable generally.
    You will always get deposit back (minus any deductions for damage).
    Its easy living as there is no hassle trying to get everyone in house to pay rent/utility bills.
    If there are any probs with the house the village managers will usually get it sorted pretty quickly.
    People often complain that its expensive to stay on campus. It definitely is difficult having to pay for the years rent in two hefty installments. But the upside is that everything is included - light/heat/refuse. So it can often work out at a similiar cost to off-campus accommodation.
    Plus - you can pay a supplement and have broadband internet in your room - Really really useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Howdy,

Moving down to do a Masters in September. There's a few estates not on that map on page 1.

Can you give me a rundown on :

Woodhaven
    Cois Ghruda
    Arda Na Ghruadan
    Beechwood
    Briarfield.

Am a mature student (25) so I won't be doing any partying ;)

Don't want o live on campus but want to be within reasonable walking distance.

Cheers,

Ixus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 truegreen

Technically I attended UCD this year but I spent a lot of my time in UL crashing at a friend's house in Kilmurry village. I loved UL so much that I'm transferring this year and going to live in Kilmurry so that shows how cool I think Kilmurry is :D Location is perfect. Near main buildings and near the sports centre. Houses are nice enough and atmosphere is great. A bit too great sometimes. Its noisy almost 24/7. The only quiet hours are usally between 4 and 7am so if you're a light sleeper, its not always fun but I'm sure most student accomodation is like that...

Anyone else going to tour the accomodation on Sat (18th) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PearlsOfLight

Hi, I'm going to be living in Dromroe come September, and I was just wondering about what I have to bring eg/ quilts or pans etc?? I'd hate to bring all these extra things with me, or not have them when I need them, especially considering the distance from my home to UL. Could someone just give me an overview of what is needed??? I've looked on other threads, and I can't seem to find anything. Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Hey all, moving to Limerick in September and was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the Brookfield Apartments? Cheers in advance

Hi, I'm going to be living in Dromroe come September, and I was just wondering about what I have to bring eg/ quilts or pans etc?? I'd hate to bring all these extra things with me, or not have them when I need them, especially considering the distance from my home to UL. Could someone just give me an overview of what is needed??? I've looked on other threads, and I can't seem to find anything. Thanks.:D

i was at the accomodation open day thing yesterday and in kilmurry anyway the kitchen has all the cutlery pots and pans mgs etc you need you get quilts and pillows but no quilt or pillow covers

also how can i guarantee getting a double bed :p ??? its only 50-50 getting a double in kilmurry and im 6'3 so a single is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

could anyone tell me how often does the shuttlebus between Brookfield and the college run?
    Their website wasn't very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Plassey is the place for first years..! I dont want to leave! Its unreal.. I LOVE IT :D:D

• Advertisement

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Plassey is the place for first years..! I dont want to leave! Its unreal.. I LOVE IT :D:D

plassey is a kip but fun

kilmurry is a kip but less so and also fun

go to kilmurry ask for a double bed and then enjoy doing sfa for 24 weeks, im very tempted to be back in kilmurry next year but the "luxury" of cappa is calling me

Advertisement