Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grinds for HTML/CSS/Javascript - Dublin

• 15-01-2015 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I posted this thread over in development already, sorry if this is overdoing it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone giving grinds in web design in Dublin. I am looking to meet up with someone an hour a week to improve my css/html. I just started work as a web designer and am very aware that I need to improve my coding.

Thanks,

Mary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tedsquee wrote: »
    Hi,

I posted this thread over in development already, sorry if this is overdoing it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone giving grinds in web design in Dublin. I am looking to meet up with someone an hour a week to improve my css/html. I just started work as a web designer and am very aware that I need to improve my coding.

Thanks,

Mary

It's not something I've ever heard of. Could be a handy few quid for someone but grinds are more of a LC or JC thing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tedsquee

Yeh, I haven't heard of it either, maybe for third level. But was thinking there might be coders out there that might be giving grinds/tutorials. I want to up skill so would be interested in them.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yeh, I haven't heard of it either, maybe for third level. But was thinking there might be coders out there that might be giving grinds/tutorials. I want to up skill so would be interested in them.

Thanks

Take a look at some of the web or html groups on meetup.com, they'll often have monthly sessions that include a presentation/lecture/training.

Will do, although would like a one on one tutorial type thing as well. So if anyone discovers anyone that loves teaching and wouldn't mind doing an hour a week let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Will do, although would like a one on one tutorial type thing as well. So if anyone discovers anyone that loves teaching and wouldn't mind doing an hour a week let me know :)

I'd honestly save your money and do some free webinars or try a code academy course. YouTube videos will help and reading blogs or sites like designmodo or smashing magazine will help you a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

smash wrote: »
    I'd honestly save your money and do some free webinars or try a code academy course. YouTube videos will help and reading blogs or sites like designmodo or smashing magazine will help you a lot.

Ditto.

Check out the forum FAQ. I've added a bunch of links for learning resources that should get you going.

Hi KonFusion and Smash,

than ks for the advice, I will defo look at those links. Pretty much the idea of grinds was if something came up in work that I got stuck on. I'm on teamtreeehouse and look at forums and you tube quite a bit. I just need a booster at the moment and was thinking it might be handy to have an hour a week that I could hash things out with another more senior coder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could see if there is a coder dojo resource near you. https://zen.coderdojo.com/

Note, I suggest that instead of looking to learn html/css/js that you think more along the lines of figuring out how to learn these. The ability to self-teach and figure out how to do that properly and efficently is essential imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

https://www.thenewboston.com/ use the tutorials on that :)

Thanks will check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm a first year computer science student in college and I'll going to give you the best two online resources I have found.

W3schools website is the best for individual sections of code

Codeacademy is the best overall resource imo.

Thanks for your advice, will check them out.

Advertisement