Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

APN settings

• 02-01-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Shamelessly taken from 3g-router.ie
    Operator | APN | IP address type
    3 | 3internet | Public
    3|3ireland.ie|Private
    3|3netaccess|(tbc)
    Eircom|broadband.eircommbb.ie|Public (tbc)
    Meteor|broadband.mymeteor.ie|Public (tbc)
    O2|open.internet|Public
    O2|internet|Private
    Vodafone|hs.vodafone.ie|Public
    Vodafone|internet|Private
    tesco mobile|tmidata|?

Above quoted from the Charter thread.
    Anyone able to update this table with up-to-date details, including if tesco mobile's APN IP address type is public or private.
    I'm trying remote access on a tp-link 3420/E3531 combo using tesco mobile 'broadband'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

APN tmidata

http://www.tescomobile.ie/support/question.aspx?id=89 unless anyone knows better?

No idea if it gets you a private or public IP address, try it and find out?

See also http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057189135 in the Talk to Tesco Mobile forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

my3cents wrote: »
    APN tmidata

http://www.tescomobile.ie/support/question.aspx?id=89 unless anyone knows better?

No idea if it gets you a private or public IP address, try it and find out?

Yeah I have that much, I should have put it in the table. How do you try it to find out? If port forwarding works it's public, doesn't it private? Then I also don't know if I'm port forwarding properly with dyndns. Just want to be sure I'm not banging my head off a wall with a private IP.

neilc wrote: »
    Yeah I have that much, I should have put it in the table. How do you try it to find out? If port forwarding works it's public, doesn't it private? Then I also don't know if I'm port forwarding properly with dyndns. Just want to take be sure I'm not banging my head off a wall with a private IP.

If its private then you'll get a different IP address on the WAN side of the router probably a 10.x.x.x address than you'll see if you go to whatismyip.com

If public you'll see the same address on the WAN side of the router as at whatismyip.com

If I remember correctly the WAN IP address on a TP-Link router is on the landing page, if not I can set one up and check exactly where to look for you.

If its private then you'll get a different IP address on the WAN side of the router probably a 10.x.x.x address than you'll see if you go to whatismyip.com

If public you'll see the same address on the WAN side of the router as at whatismyip.com

Ok, that could be an issue. I'm using a Huawei E3531 with the 3420, in the WAN side of the router I'm seeing its IP address 192.168.8.1

• Advertisement

OK so from the online emultor of the TL-MR3420 v2 the IP address in the 3G/4G section at the bottom of page should be the same as you get when you go to whatismyip.com if you have a public address.

Ok, that could be an issue. I'm using a Huawei E3531 with the 3420, in the WAN side of the router I'm seeing its IP address 192.168.8.1

Sounds like thats the LAN IP of the router the 192.168.x.x range isn't likely to be issued by an ISP.

Type 192.168.8.1 into your browsers address bar and it should take you to your routers home page showing you its your routers LAN IP address.

Sounds like thats the LAN IP of the router the 192.168.x.x range isn't likely to be issued by an ISP.

Type 192.168.8.1 into your browsers address bar and it should take you to your routers home page showing you its your routers LAN IP address.

The router ip is 192.168.1.1 but the Huawei ip is 192.168.8.1. It's the Huawei IP address that shows up in the router 3G/4G section IP address if that makes sense.

OK so you need to check the webpage on the Huawei because it has its own web interface and sets up an NDIS connection with the router and not a com port connection (afaik). The older huawei dongles would show their IP in the 3G/4G section the new ones again afaik don't.

OK so you need to check the webpage on the Huawei because it has its own web interface and sets up an NDIS connection with the router and not a com port connection (afaik). The older huawei dongles would show their IP in the 3G/4G section the new ones again afaik don't.

Ok, not at home atm. Will try it when I get home. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Not sure how your port forwarding is going to work because you are going to need to port forward on the Huawei dongle first and then on the TP-Link router. Maybe thats your problem?

Not sure how your port forwarding is going to work because you are going to need to port forward on the Huawei dongle first and then on the TP-Link router. Maybe thats your problem?
    Ok, bad news, it seems it's private. On the Huawei E3531 page I found

WAN IP Address: 10.15.2.217,

so I plugged in my old Draytek router with a E220 dongle and got the following information.

Link Status : Connected
    Connection : PPP
    IP Address : 10.15.1.202
    Default Gateway : 10.15.1.202
    Primary DNS : 10.1.13.65
    Secondary DNS : 10.1.13.66

Is there any way around this for connecting remotely?

Sorry but there's nothing you can do as any port forwarding would have to be done by your ISP and then can't do that.

Best I can suggest is try three, try a 3 pay phone SIM and put a €20 topup on it do you get All You Can Eat Data offer for 30days and use the 3internet APN. Do the same Draytek router check as while the 3internet APN is supposed to provide a Public address 3 seem to be running out of them and sometimes you now get a private address.

Sorry but there's nothing you can do as any port forwarding would have to be done by your ISP and then can't do that.

Best I can suggest is try three, try a 3 pay phone SIM and put a €20 topup on it do you get All You Can Eat Data offer for 30days and use the 3internet APN. Do the same Draytek router check as while the 3internet APN is supposed to provide a Public address 3 seem to be running out of them and sometimes you now get a private address.

That's very frustrating.
    Rang tesco mobile, hadn't a clue what I was on about. They said they'd pass it on to their tech team and have an answer back to me within 5 days.
    Also have an O2 account which is due to be closed in two weeks when it's out of contract. Rang them, they said 'oh is this about connecting to ip cameras?'. Was put on hold, she came back and told me that she changed the account to public!! She couldn't tell me anything else, whether I needed to change apn settings. If I could get the O2 one working I'd consider keeping it and using the tesco mobile just for the kids.
    Thanks for your help today.

I know for definite that Three can set an account that has been getting a private address up so it gets a public address so I guess O2 can do the same. I'd definitely start off with the the old E220 dongle which will also work fine in the TP-Link router, if the E220 needs unlocking its a trivial procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

All you can eat data sims with 3 come with a 10.xx IP address have two of them myself one in my modem and one in my iPhone not sure if it would work with the cameras or not. The normal broadband sim cards would have a public IP address they usually start with 178.xxx on 3.

jay93 wrote: »
    All you can eat data sims with 3 come with a 10.xx IP address have two of them myself one in my modem and one in my iPhone not sure if it would work with the cameras or not. The normal broadband sim cards would have a public IP address they usually start with 178.xxx on 3.

You sure that changing the APN doesn't change the IP address of any SIM you get from three? Never yet had a problem getting a private address with a 3 SIM myself although some people have recently reported that they previously had a public address and 3 switched them to a private address.

I know for definite that Three can set an account that has been getting a private address up so it gets a public address so I guess O2 can do the same. I'd definitely start off with the the old E220 dongle which will also work fine in the TP-Link router, if the E220 needs unlocking its a trivial procedure.

Okay got everything working last night. Talked to my house for the first time from a 3G network and it felt good :-)
    Managed it as you describe above with the E220 and the 3420. Had to change the apn to open.internet.public. Couple of things to note on this. The E220 does drop its connection intermittently and the 3420 then needs a reboot. The E220 was constantly dropping on my old Draytek setup btw. The E3531 never dropped it's connection but port forwarding doesn't seem to work with it because of the 192.168.8.1 IP address. Any recommendations for a dongle that connects like a E220 so there's no IP issues but doesn't drop connections like the E3531.

The reboot issue is just as likely to be related to the service and the router as it is the dongle. I use an .... checks router......E180 atm and it will stay up for 10 days sometimes on and Edimax 6400 router. The problem is when the service is bad which is more often than not it won't keep a connection for even a day and sometimes not even 10 minutes - like now.

The TP-Link routers have a reputation for needing a reboot but I wouldn't the Edimax as it has many other issues.

Here's how I'd go about it. Bit of a wish and a prayer like but logically might work. Set up router so port forwarding works with E220 - DONE, put the E3531 into a computer and go to its config webpage, then set up the APN for a public IP address and the forwarding to its private address when its stuck in the router (you may need to set the default private address on the E3531 so its not the same as your TP-Link router LAN address). Finally plug the E3531 back into the TP-Link router and test.

You might even be able to connect to the E3531's config page while its in the router.

Here's how I'd go about it. Bit of a wish and a prayer like but logically might work. Set up router so port forwarding works with E220 - DONE, put the E3531 into a computer and go to its config webpage, then set up the APN for a public IP address and the forwarding to its private address when its stuck in the router (you may need to set the default private address on the E3531 so its not the same as your TP-Link router LAN address). Finally plug the E3531 back into the TP-Link router and test.

You might even be able to connect to the E3531's config page while its in the router.

My head hurts :-)

Will try and digest that and try it when I get home later.

• Advertisement

My head hurts :-)

Will try and digest that and try it when I get home later.

What you need to look at is double port forwarding google that for loads of info and don't rely on what I've said as its easy to get port forwarding wrong.

If you take a look at this description of port forwarding https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Port_forwarding and go down to where it talks about double port forwarding then you can think of the 3G E 3531 USB dongle being the first router (which it is) and the red writing applies to your 3g dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

You sure that changing the APN doesn't change the IP address of any SIM you get from three? Never yet had a problem getting a private address with a 3 SIM myself although some people have recently reported that they previously had a public address and 3 switched them to a private address.

Yeah I tried use the 3internet APN and it still won't work for me when I had an older sim from last year it worked no problem over the 3internet APN the newer sims I got won't thought maybe 3 changed something . Can't find my old SIM card so I'm stuck with that only problem I have was connecting to Xbox live or PS3 It would work it just would give a strict NAT .

I ended up buying a sim for a meteor modem I have here and it gives open NAT on that all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobslifeforu

Howdy, i just stumbled on this thread while looking for moto g sales :p

Anywho i used to have an Huawei E1752 3G + Edimax 3G-6200n running a 3 PAYG sim with the all you can eat data. It works great and three give you a public IP so you can remote in / run a web server / take over the world, but the problem was the dongle would randomly crash/disconnect after about 10 hours.. not good (especially after coming home from work to have to go troubleshooting 3g)

To fix it i hooked the Edimax upto a plug timer that would restart the box twice a day... problem solved! #poundshopNetworking

For anybody looking to get a new cheap 3g remote access setup... vodafone currently have a secret sale (not sure why they're not telling anybody???) on their PAYG 3G wifi modems 29.99 for the modem + 7.5GB / 1 Month of internet (available in store and at harvey norman)

shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r209

I've had this modem a week now and its going well, running 3 days with no issues. The vodafone rom on these devices also allows you to insert a 3 sim and modify the APN... so win win :D

What you need to look at is double port forwarding google that for loads of info and don't rely on what I've said as its easy to get port forwarding wrong.

If you take a look at this description of port forwarding https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Port_forwarding and go down to where it talks about double port forwarding then you can think of the 3G E 3531 USB dongle being the first router (which it is) and the red writing applies to your 3g dongle.
    Some very good information there.
    The E3531 doesn't allow any forwarding that I can see though.
    Do all Huawei dongles now come as HiLink?
    What I would like is a new 3G/4G dongle with the old dashboard software setup. Is such a device available.

BTW my3cents, thanks for all the info in this tread, without all your help I reckon I'd still be pulling my hair out!

Some very good information there.
    The E3531 doesn't allow any forwarding that I can see though.
    Do all Huawei dongles now come as HiLink?
    What I would like is a new 3G/4G dongle with the old dashboard software setup. Is such a device available.

BTW my3cents, thanks for all the info in this tread, without all your help I reckon I'd still be pulling my hair out!

afaik they are all HiLink :( Don't think you'll get a new Huawei dongle that isn't.

Only way might be to get a 3G router that doesn't need a dongle and uses a SIM card itself like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router mentioned in another thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057288897

I'm winging it here but I still think you can port forward on the E3531 first you need to see if it has a Menu item for "Virtual Server" (comes under Security settings?) then if it has you can follow this guide http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Huawei/E355/defaultguide.htm .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cindys z

Thanks for the APN parameters.

Advertisement