Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on creating a work rota planner

• 25-06-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on creating an application which will display employee working days over a month and would have the employees over each other so the manager could easily look at the monthly rota to see if he is short staffed on certain days.

There would be a few different types of shifts; Monday-Friday, Monday-Wednesday, Thursday-Saturday etc.

There are a few different categories of workers so I'd like to be able to either filter employees by employee type or sort the list of employees by employee type.

I'm thinking I'll need some sort of database to hold the employee details but I'd like to have the app as a stand alone exe. file which all employees can download to their computer and have a unique log in which will allow them to only edit details on their own row (such as booking holidays).

I am hoping to do this using Visual Basic (which I will have to learn from scratch).

If anyone is experienced in Visual Basic, or if anyone could make a recommendation, could you let me know if you think it is possible to do this type of app?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm thinking I'll need some sort of database to hold the employee details but I'd like to have the app as a stand alone exe. file which all employees can download to their computer and have a unique log in which will allow them to only edit details on their own row (such as booking holidays).
    Where will the database be stored?
    It might be easiest to store the db on a common server and have a web page/app that employees log into. No need to learn VB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mauricekane

daymobrew wrote: »
    Where will the database be stored?
    It might be easiest to store the db on a common server and have a web page/app that employees log into. No need to learn VB.

I was thinking of storing the db on a common server. Then when the app is opened all details will be pulled from this db, or if any changes were made using the app it'd be stored back into the database.

How would I go about setting up a webpage to do this? Would I need to use SQL or PHP or something like that? I don't have much experience in either of these!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As you don't know SQL or PHP or VB, look for an existing app that does scheduling.
    I did a search on sourceforge.net and found: OnSched - Web Based Shift Rotation Schedule Management Application.
    It sounds promising but comments report that it is difficult to set up. And it has not been updated in 18 months.

It is in the Business/Scheduling category so you might find a better maintained thing there.

Projects on SourceForge are open source so you could fix bugs yourself.

Alternatively, look at Download.com.

Thanks for your help Daymobrew!!

That OnSched looks good so I'll see if I can play around with it a bit!

I'm going to try learn a bit about VB, MySQL and PHP anyways so I'll see if I can set up something similar to OnSched.

If anyone is interested I completed this project and can send you on the result. I completed it using visual studio VB and used a SQL DB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

If anyone is interested I completed this project and can send you on the result. I completed it using visual studio VB and used a SQL DB.

Hi, I'd be interested in seeing it and fair play to you. PM the link/details

Cheers

Advertisement