Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

My Mam is looking at these z3 compacts, where is the cheapest place to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone get a black screen that they can't get out of unless they restart?
    I got this about 10 times at this stage since the upgrade:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone get a black screen that they can't get out of unless they restart?
    I got this about 10 times at this stage since the upgrade:

What happens when you press the tab button?

Sorry if this was found out already but just noticed if I keep my finger on the lock screen clock I can choose between the stacked clock, a more traditional clock or an analogue clock.

flazio wrote: »
    What happens when you press the tab button?

Sorry if this was found out already but just noticed if I keep my finger on the lock screen clock I can choose between the stacked clock, a more traditional clock or an analogue clock.
    No button works, sometimes a normal screen flicks up for a milisecond but then it goes back to black. Once I managed to click out of it, but all other times I had to reset. even if I lock the screen and go back, it's that poxy black screen.
    Handy way to toggle clocks btw

Cienciano wrote: »
    No button works, sometimes a normal screen flicks up for a milisecond but then it goes back to black. Once I managed to click out of it, but all other times I had to reset. even if I lock the screen and go back, it's that poxy black screen.
    Handy way to toggle clocks btw

That's a weird one. My girlfriend had her screen go completely black a few times, it was caused by the mail online app.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My default alarm clock setting has changed with whatever the latest update was so now I can't set the alarm by scrolling the numbers on a numbers setting like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5550NbQ6aDU/T70xu_A_HoI/AAAAAAAADkE/Ahi_CIpgXhU/s1600/Alarm.png

Now I have to fcuk around with lines across a stupid clock face just to set my alarm.
    http://motoeguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/how_to_use_alarm_customize_alarm_tones_on_moto_e_moto_g_moto_x.jpg

Is there ANY way i can change the setting back to numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭brevity

The phone is kinda pissing me off again. Wanted to take a panoramic picture the other day so opened up the camera and the panoramic setting bit it just wouldn't work. Kept telling me I was moving too slowly. When I moved faster it was telling me I was moving too fast. So frustrating.

Its started to get stuttery during traditions as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

brevity wrote: »
    The phone is kinda pissing me off again. Wanted to take a panoramic picture the other day so opened up the camera and the panoramic setting bit it just wouldn't work. Kept telling me I was moving too slowly. When I moved faster it was telling me I was moving too fast. So frustrating.

I can't get that to work either. Love the phone otherwise but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Anyone get a fix for showing things like viber and texts in the notification bar on lock screen? I dont want to have to unlock my screen every time just to find out its some promotional email I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

My Mam is looking at these z3 compacts, where is the cheapest place to buy?

Tell her not to bother, cracked my screen for the second time today, fair enough 1st time I didnt have a screen protector but this time I did. It cracked from a standard fall id had many times with Samsung S3 and that never cracked.
    The screens just are not fit for purpose, shame as its a great phone. Ive shaelled out E100 to get it fixed again , this will be the last time though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Tell her not to bother, cracked my screen for the second time today, fair enough 1st time I didnt have a screen protector but this time I did. It cracked from a standard fall id had many times with Samsung S3 and that never cracked.
    The screens just are not fit for purpose, shame as its a great phone. Ive shaelled out E100 to get it fixed again , this will be the last time though

Did you have it in a protective case either time? If so, what case?

cormie wrote: »
    Did you have it in a protective case either time? If so, what case?

Had it in one of those flip cases you get in vodafone shops with the screen protector id paid 24 euro for from the same shop. in fairness when I 1st bought it I had one i bought online (Rhino shield i think) which did save the phone once when i dropped it.(I then cracked screen before i had replaced this screen guard)
    theres no doubt its a very fragile phone compared to the likes of Samsung, I know someone else who has cracked their screen form a standard drop that had never troubled their Iphone

Going to order a new screen protector and possibly case online if anyone can reccomend what is regarded as the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

LaGlisse wrote: »

Too late, already ordered. Is that the only complaint, if so I'd not be too bothered as she uses a proper padded purse like cover with all her phones to carry bank cards, work id etc so she can leave purse at home.

Btw, how often do you drop your phone? I've never dropped mine over all the years

TheChevron wrote: »
    Anyone get a fix for showing things like viber and texts in the notification bar on lock screen? I dont want to have to unlock my screen every time just to find out its some promotional email I got.

What do you mean by notification bar? The status bar at the top?

You should get the notifications on your lock screen, so just double tap to turn on device, look at notification (if there's more than one, you can swipe to expand), then screen off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Basil3 wrote: »
    What do you mean by notification bar? The status bar at the top?

You should get the notifications on your lock screen, so just double tap to turn on device, look at notification (if there's more than one, you can swipe to expand), then screen off.

I get no notifications on my lock screen. I have to unlock my phone to see if I even have a text. As I have my phone on low ringing most if the time, I don't know if I have a text.

By the way, been playing with the girlfriend's Z3C now that she's on Lollipop, and it looks like Sony stayed pretty close to a lot of stock features. No idea why it took them so long.

Regarding the different volume settings, I think it's misleading the way Sony have named them 'silent', 'priority' and 'sound'. On the M9, it's clear those settings are for interruptions, not sound, so the 3 settings are called 'none', 'priority' and 'all'.

I think Samsung and HTC kept the option of going to silent mode by turning volume all the way down with the rocker to vibrate, then tapping up once to silent. Sony don't give the silent option.

antodeco wrote: »
    I get no notifications on my lock screen. I have to unlock my phone to see if I even have a text. As I have my phone on low ringing most if the time, I don't know if I have a text.

You should get them....what sort of security do you have set? Maybe turn off your security, then turn it back on.....when setting, it should give you the option to show notifications on lock screen. I'll double check on my girlfriends Z3C, but that would be stock lollipop behaviour.

Edit: works fine on hers

Basil3 wrote: »
    You should get them....what sort of security do you have set? Maybe turn off your security, then turn it back on.....when setting, it should give you the option to show notifications on lock screen. I'll double check on my girlfriends Z3C, but that would be stock lollipop behaviour.

Edit: works fine on hers

Just did what you said, show notifications was selected. Reset the security pin. Still the same.

Its really annoying. I have to unlock my phone ti see emails/texts/calls that have come in.

Just did what you said, show notifications was selected. Reset the security pin. Still the same.

Its really annoying. I have to unlock my phone ti see emails/texts/calls that have come in.

Hmmmm, weird. Settings > security > clear credentials, then set again?

Maybe try it with only slide lock to see if notifications work?

• Advertisement

I can't, as I have work stuff on it, so needs the pin! Worked fine pre-update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I don't have this issue either. What I did notice however was that some apps got notifications turned off so maybe try this.

Settings -> Sound & Not... -> App Notifications and check your common ones, mail, viber, messaging etc... Ensure block is NOT turned on. Outside of that you can also look at what content you wish to be displayed in the lock screen. I have mine to not show any content so I just get notified that I have a viber or mail or something.

I've switched off blocks on every app. All set to show all content, not just non sensitive information. Its really really odd, and very annoying!

Even when I set the phone to priority and put messages down as a priority, it still doesn't show me.

I've switched off blocks on every app. All set to show all content, not just non sensitive information. Its really really odd, and very annoying!

Even when I set the phone to priority and put messages down as a priority, it still doesn't show me.

It has to be something to do with security policy then.

Right, Ive just tried to turn off my security pattern but that function is greyed out. I cant even turn off my security. Any idea whats stopping me doing that?

Edit: http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/88306/how-can-i-disable-the-screen-lock-password-in-lollipop

So I did all that and I still cant see any notification icons inh the top bar.

I diont want any notifications popping up on screen, so I have notififications set to off. It seems like there is no middlke ground. Its off or on fully.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right, Ive just tried to turn off my security pattern but that function is greyed out. I cant even turn off my security. Any idea whats stopping me doing that?

Settings > security > clear credentials?

From googling around I've found that this is a major issue for some with lollipop on a number of phones.

Pretty crap really. I don't want any pop ups on screen, just an icon in the status bar, but it doesn't seem to me doable at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If anyone is looking for a good value screen protector I use this, very easy to put on with no bubbles or anything.
    I also use this case from Casemate, it protects the phone but it does add a bit of bulk.

My future advice to people with problems since the update: never update! It always fúcks stuff. You always lose functions you liked. You almost never gain anything worthwhile

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Any one had to RMA their device due to a spontaneously cracked screen?
    This happened to my wife on Friday. Its still possible to see things on the display, but the entire touchscreen is non-responsive.

Will have to contact Sony Ireland I guess and see if you get any joy. Let us know how it goes. I guess if it doesn't look like an impact crack you might have a good chance.

Advertisement