Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

desbrook wrote: »
    12.52 and not an ancestor in the tree washed !!

Getting the impression that I am not the only one waiting for this!

Just looked at Clare Santry's original blog entry on this topic. She states that she has been invited to the launch this evening. So there may not be any updates on line until later this evening..can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

They've done it :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rox_88 wrote: »
    They've done it :D

*web server explodes under load*

edit: Actually, it maybe has exploded already: http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

edit2: Its there under the search page but has Daniel McGarry hard-coded in as the search term. You can enter your own search after that. Marriages show both partners after a certain date, not sure when yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MYOB wrote: »
    *web server explodes under load*

CAn there really be that may people who know of the launch and that would be interested in searching to the extent that we could crash the server? Seems very last century :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ponster wrote: »
    CAn there really be that may people who know of the launch and that would be interested in searching to the extent that we could crash the server? Seems very last century :)

Its running very slowly on a gigabit connection here.

The filtering is horrendous, it doesn't reset when you change names.

• Advertisement

The civil records link on the first page leads to http://testchurchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Horrendous web design - search results section and results presentation look like something I might have done in 1996.

FBVi1PD.png

I don't mind the searching so much but it's difficult to filter through the results in an efficient way.

The better news is that I'm getting birth results until Dec 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

They cover births up to the early 1980s anyway as I just found my own index in there!

Whoever did the transcriptions varied between sloppy - I've found a "honora" as "hanora" and a "yvonne" as "yuonne" (I have both certs on paper) to scarily determined - there's a mothers maiden name transcribed correctly when I never figured it out from the paper cert.

Births for some eras at least have the real DOB rather than the quarter which is a huge boost for finding further records on Ancestry or similar.

The changing face of Irish society.

Party 1 Name Murphy Nwanta
    Party 2 Name Marta Kowalska
    Date of Event 16 November 2007
    Group Registration ID 1560502
    SR District/Reg Area Kilkenny

Genealogist in 100 years will be asking what country they can trace their immigrant ancestors to!

• Advertisement

If you are tweeting, I started a hashtag: #IrishBMDindexes

They cover births up to the early 1980s anyway as I just found my own index in there!

My exact uncommon but not unique name is showing births to 1994 and marriages to 2012; I'm going out on a limb to guess that everything is up to the 2013 mentioned on the search box. Huge benefit for those trying to chase down more missing lines.

"Mother's Birth Surname" i.e. maiden name doesn't seem to be included for pre-1900 births. I'll see if I can get a more accurate date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

It's awful slow. But I guess thats to be expected, launch day etc

Ponster wrote: »
    "Mother's Birth Surname" i.e. maiden name doesn't seem to be included for pre-1900 births. I'll see if I can get a more accurate date.

Yeah, that only started in 1903 (I think that's the year)

Starting to give 500 errors from load.

Dang, just got my first crash while searching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Think it's crashed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PS4FORLOSERS

desbrook wrote: »
    Think it's crashed :(

Yeah just a server error there while searching

Looks like the 5 of us managed to crash it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

bit intermittent at the moment, some older known results were not coming up but but think it's still on a test server/domain. Working ok just now.... definitely better for mother's maiden names on early 20thC marriages

pity they didn't add a references cross match for the early marriages

Seems to be back working again for me

Compared to Familysearch, unnamed children seem to be down as "Unknown" Surname rather than "Male" or "Female" Surname as on FS. Definitely didn't take FS's original transcriptions and build from there based on things like that and some major transcription errors I've found.

This is looking very promising ! I might finally be able to work as easily in the 1950's as I do in the 1850's !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think we killed it again.... it looked like the search by district field was a bit 'iffy', and gave results not in the entered district, or any anywhere near, but the district filter link on the left of the screen worked fine

shanew wrote: »
    I think we killed it again.... it looked like the search by district field was a bit 'iffy', and gave results not in the entered district, or any anywhere near, but the district filter link on the left of the screen worked fine

Anyone notice if you search with a certain mother's maiden name it "loses" it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Strange how they publish births up to the 1980/90s but will not publish the census of 1926 due to Data Protection issues.

I know which I would prefer to see on-line!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It feels terrible to be ripping it apart immediately after it launches...we were all so excited an hour ago.
    • Slow - hopefully only a short-term issue (loading the whole time I was typing this post).
    • Reports here say births up to early 1980s but I cannot find my own (from the 1970s).
    • Need to tick box and type any letters you like at the start is ridiculous, and have they heard of cookies? I've had to enter it 3 times in my first session already.
    • Need to type captchas!

I'd have more comments, if I'd actually succeeded in more than one search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nasty session contamination bug as well. Luckily there's no private/unpublished data involved, but search for Joe Soap and you'll get results for Jane Doe (when site is under load).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm a dope

Advertisement