Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Live Launch here from NYC at 3pm

http://live.cnet.com/Event/HTC_One_M8_launch_in_NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

They are certainly not doing themselves any favours with the names they've given to their last 3 flagship phones.

One X
    One
    One (M8)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

polaris68 wrote: »
    They are certainly not doing themselves any favours with the names they've given to their last 3 flagship phones.

One X
    One
    One (M8)

it is worse - the new one seems to be called 'The All New HTC One'. Possibly the worst name for a phone ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I'm due an upgrade now coming from the S3. I loved the M7 so i think ill get this. Looks good from the leak videos on youtube. The only thing putting me off is the 4.1 ultra pixel camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭00sully

it is worse - the new one seems to be called 'The All New HTC One'. Possibly the worst name for a phone ever!

Plus the leaked pics of the device look awful. The current model is much nicer in fact one of the nicest out! New one is a regression in looks and not much Bump in specs

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wouldn't worry about mega pixels. I went from s3 to original htc one. Camera is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

So any news when we'll see it on networks over here?

Pacifico wrote: »

http://www.three.ie/shop/phones/htc-one-m8/#register-10#form_success

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Available for order on Meteor - ordered and my confirmation email says it should be with me in two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

O2 say they are expecting it on the 3rd of April PAYG €599 http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/HTCM8?tariffType=PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Pacifico wrote: »

Coming from a s3. I think mine is 4th of april from meteor on upgrade. Only made quick enquiries though.

Can't wait. Based on benchmark score its a huge jump in performance from the s3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gizmodo review here
    Overall, the new HTC One is a terrific device. It's not without its faults, but the pros far outweigh the cons. If you buy it, you'll probably be very happy with it, but if you're not absolutely desperate to buy a phone right now, hold off for a couple of weeks until we've had a chance to do a full review of Samsung's forthcoming flagship, the Galaxy S5 and Sony's new Xperia Z2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Available for order on Meteor - ordered and my confirmation email says it should be with me in two days.

Anyone know if Meteor and eMobile generally stock the same phones, given their connection?

I am thinking of moving to eMobile, as an Eircom customer the monthly packages are much better compared to Meteor?

HTC One (M8) or Z2 for me... can't decide....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Z2 is still the front runner I think. The Verge's review complained about the camera again, and it's not waterproof which is now a must for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Im between the z2 and htc. Ill decide when I see a few hands on reviews. I was hoping for a better camera on the HTC at least 8 ultra pixel

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Is there a sim free version available out there yet, UK or Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I think the on screen buttons are putting me off. I've had Desire HD, HTC One X and the the One.

I'm tempted to go for the S4.

1jcdub wrote: »
    Is there a sim free version available out there yet, UK or Ireland?

http://www.clove.co.uk/htc-one-m8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How does this battery saving mode work? Shuts off everything but calls and texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Does anyone know if/when Amazon will be stocking these? And would it even be cheaper to buy it off there (sim free)?

Also what's the story with the gold one. Personally I'd go for that one but there's not much said about it from a relatively thorough Google search, with most sites just focusing on the gunmetal one (which to be fair is a pretty nifty plan B). All I've seen is that its an exclusive on Best Buy which is no use to us. Any word of its availability in Ireland/UK/Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Nolimits wrote: »

Another noob question but I take it that if we ordered from here it would be the £534 price and not the pre-VAT £445?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Stoolbend wrote: »
    I think the on screen buttons are putting me off. I've had Desire HD, HTC One X and the the One.

I'm tempted to go for the S4.

It would have been fine if the got rid of the branding bar - pictures with the onscreen buttons blacked out look terrible, it's this huge black area that takes up far too much space. I can see this being a pain in the arse for thumbs.
    bgr-htc-one-m8-21.jpg?w=625

It's really tall as well, it's now just 5mm off the height of a note 3. Sure, it's not as wide, but I want a larger display if you're making the device a cm taller.

IMG_8926.jpg

Positives. Do like the microSD expansion, headphone jack placement and that they've made the (already impressive) speakers 20% louder.

hochspitch wrote: »
    Another noob question but I take it that if we ordered from here it would be the £534 price and not the pre-VAT £445?

That would be right.

I can also tell you from previous that they will want to see a copy of something like a passport. This is because of the high risk of fraud. They are a legitimate company and I have bought from them in the past, but if you're not comfortable with that then you might want to rethink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

The on screen buttons are one of the reasons I got the One X a couple of months after a Galaxy Nexus.

It takes up a good bit of the screen which I just never liked.

Ho does it compare against the S5 for size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

This looks amazing to me. I love the camera and what they are saying it will be able to do a la the Lytro camera.
    Also love the look of the dot matrix style case with the notification stuff on it saves you having to turn on the screen.
    Nice few details about it here

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/htc-one-m8-specs-availability/

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

and it's not waterproof which is now a must for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It would have been fine if the got rid of the branding bar - pictures with the onscreen buttons blacked out look terrible, it's this huge black area that takes up far too much space. I can see this being a pain in the arse for thumbs.
    bgr-htc-one-m8-21.jpg?w=625

It's really tall as well, it's now just 5mm off the height of a note 3. Sure, it's not as wide, but I want a larger display if you're making the device a cm taller.

IMG_8926.jpg

Positives. Do like the microSD expansion, headphone jack placement and that they've made the (already impressive) speakers 20% louder.

Last year's HTC one looks nicer to me from that comparison picture...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Nolimits wrote: »
    Thanks for that but its not in stock until 1st of April. I think I'll get it from expansys. They're due to have it stock very soon.
    Although I'm still thinking of the Z2. I have reservation's regarding the sound being weak and display not being bright enough on the Z2. I found the GS4 display way dimmer than the HTC One!

Advertisement