Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Fair enough if it suits your needs but wouldn't be near enough space for me. I've a couple of games on my phone that are over a GB each, stuff like Fifa 2014 is over 1.2GB as is Madden 2014 and several other big games like Shadowrun or Dead Trigger.

Google auto upload is fantastic but if possible I prefer to keep pictures on my phone as well as the cloud, I don't always have internet access, especially if I'm in a pub or something and want to show someone a picture only to see I've no internet access.

I have to ask do you actually use the 100 apps?? I've only got about 50 max and even then I know I could do without several of them installed.

Yes I am not a gamer so I don’t have any of that stuff. Also have all my music in the cloud so don’t have it stored locally on the phone. I am rarely without internet access but it has happened!
    I do keep some important photos on the phone just in case I need to show someone the kids etc!!
    It really is down to individual needs

I deffo don’t use all 100 apps but I would say I do use most of them. Maybe I need to do a cleardown and add some of the apps to my wishlist for use at a later time. I have numerous Android devices so that’s maybe why I have so many apps in my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mystic86 wrote: »
    From Amazon UK? Site still says 12th Dec on the listing!

I rang phones4u in Newry, 200 sterling in store!! 40/50 quid more expensive than online!! But they won't deliver here or to parcel motel

Keep an eye on tesco direct, cheapest around if you manage to get one. They seem to only be in stock for about 2 hours at a time though so can be hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Keep an eye on tesco direct, cheapest around if you manage to get one. They seem to only be in stock for about 2 hours at a time though so can be hard to get.

And get it delivered to parcel motel is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Yes I am not a gamer so I don’t have any of that stuff. Also have all my music in the cloud so don’t have it stored locally on the phone. I am rarely without internet access but it has happened!
    I do keep some important photos on the phone just in case I need to show someone the kids etc!!
    It really is down to individual needs

I deffo don’t use all 100 apps but I would say I do use most of them. Maybe I need to do a cleardown and add some of the apps to my wishlist for use at a later time. I have numerous Android devices so that’s maybe why I have so many apps in my account.

Absolutely down to individual needs. I'd always recommend getting extra space if possible but if you know you're not going to use it then it is wasteful.

I've got my phone and tablet, i've well over 100 apps downloaded at one point or another but I uninstall the ones I don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

From Amazon UK? Site still says 12th Dec on the listing!

I rang phones4u in Newry, 200 sterling in store!! 40/50 quid more expensive than online!! But they won't deliver here or to parcel motel

Yep from Amazon UK, en route at the moment. Arriving on Wednesday all going to plan. I pre ordered on the 14th of November, 8GB model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgl4hbzoln67n3o/Screenshot_2013-11-28-10-40-43-1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Quick question folks about from Tesco direct UK, I assume I have to use Parcel Motel, any issues with this? Can you put in your Irish Club Card details? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks...

Quick question folks about from Tesco direct UK, I assume I have to use Parcel Motel, any issues with this? Can you put in your Irish Club Card details? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks...

Yeah you have to use parcel motel address. It doesn't allow you use numbers in the name field so your PMID will need to be written like this. PM OneTwoThreeFourFive. Choose nightline logistics in the address dropdown menu after entering the PM postcode. Not sure about the clubcard points, you can try and login in with your irish clubcard details and see if that works. Phone comes locked to tesco uk so needs to be unlocked. Codes can be got for less than €2.50 and it needs a micro sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anyone picked one up yet? I've ordered one to replace my wife's Lumia 800 which is falling apart after only 1 year of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭soap1978

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Yeah you have to use parcel motel address. It doesn't allow you use numbers in the name field so your PMID will need to be written like this. PM OneTwoThreeFourFive. Choose nightline logistics in the address dropdown menu after entering the PM postcode. Not sure about the clubcard points, you can try and login in with your irish clubcard details and see if that works. Phone comes locked to tesco uk so needs to be unlocked. Codes can be got for less than €2.50 and it needs a micro sim.
    How do u unlock the phone and if i am on tesco ireland pay as you go,do i need to unlock it

soap1978 wrote: »
    How do u unlock the phone and if i am on tesco ireland pay as you go,do i need to unlock it

You have to get an Unlock code. Plenty of places do them online on eBay and other places. Yes you will because Tesco UK is on a different network to Tesco Ireland which uses o2. I think Tesco UK uses T-Mobile or Vodafone, can't remember though.

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »

Tesco irl and uk are different networks so no your sim won't work out of box. Its simple to unlock though, just send this guy your IMEI number (can be found on side of box,sometimes called S/N) and tell him you want to unlock your moto g, then he'll email you back a code. Then follow these instructions

How to enter the unlock code:

1. Power on your phone with a non-accepted SIM card. A non-accepted SIM card is a SIM from another network provider, other than the network you originally bought your phone from.
    2. Wait for your phone to read: “Enter unlock/ subsidy code” or “SIM Network Unlock PIN”.
    3. Enter the unlock code you received in your email. (Click here to get the unlock code for Motorola Moto G)
    4. Your phone will read: “Unlock Successful”.

That’s it, your phone is now unlocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Even though Tesco says 'In Stock' for the 8GB, I get the following when trying to order 2 phones and then 1;

Sorry, we don't have enough Tesco Mobile Motorola Moto G™ 8GB Black items in stock right now. This item (s) has been added to your save for later basket. You can try to purchase this item again by reducing its quantity.

Seems the phones on tesco direct come back into stock just after 7am so may be worth hopping online in the morning if your still waiting.

Don't know what the quality is like but this seems like a good deal.

Moto-G gel case,
    3 screen protectors,
    A stylus pen.

Amazon Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The other half got one of these from Phones4U in Sprucefield last week. It's a lovely phone. Have a N5 myself and the Moto G would be a bit too small for me, having used the Nexus, but it's still a nice sized device. Screen is great and the speed is remarkable considering the price.

Any idea when the back cases might be available to buy?

peejay1986 wrote: »
    The other half got one of these from Phones4U in Sprucefield last week. It's a lovely phone. Have a N5 myself and the Moto G would be a bit too small for me, having used the Nexus, but it's still a nice sized device. Screen is great and the speed is remarkable considering the price.

Any idea when the back cases might be available to buy?

did she buy in-store? was it 200 sterling (16gb)?

did she buy in-store? was it 200 sterling (16gb)?

Worked out at €155 for the 8GB. Bit dearer yes, but still a great deal and was needed pretty sharpish.

Worked out at €155 for the 8GB. Bit dearer yes, but still a great deal and was needed pretty sharpish.

in-store?!

Are they only charging 130 sterling in-store for the 8gb? cause they told me on the phone that it's 200 for the 16gb, can't believe they have that much of a price difference between the two! cheek of them :P

in-store?!

Are they only charging 130 sterling in-store for the 8gb? cause they told me on the phone that it's 200 for the 16gb, can't believe they have that much of a price difference between the two! cheek of them :P

Yeah. Think it was €134.99 for an off contract, which she bought. Only have the black and didn't give a free white cover, as with some orders.

It's €129.99 on Pay-as-you-go, with credit I think.

Yeah. Think it was €134.99 for an off contract, which she bought. Only have the black and didn't give a free white cover, as with some orders.

It's €129.99 on Pay-as-you-go, with credit I think.

There is only the black colour. Seems to be some confusion about this because the back cover is replaceable but there is and always has been only black available to buy because of a leaked picture which showed an all white Moto X claiming it was a Moto G. All Moto Gs have a black front, its the rear battery cover which is changeable.

• Advertisement

There is only the black colour. Seems to be some confusion about this because the back cover is replaceable but there is and always has been only black available to buy because of a leaked picture which showed an all white Moto X claiming it was a Moto G. All Moto Gs have a black front, its the rear battery cover which is changeable.

Sorry, that's what I was referring to, the back cover. Apparently Phones4U gave some free white back covers with orders.

Sorry, that's what I was referring to, the back cover. Apparently Phones4U gave some free white back covers with orders.

Ah, apologies, didn't realise they were doing that.

The Amazon listing for the 16gb has removed the date of 12th of December, just says temporarily out of stock now... hopefully this means that the date will be sooner than the 12th...

The Amazon listing for the 16gb has removed the date of 12th of December, just says temporarily out of stock now... hopefully this means that the date will be sooner than the 12th...

I got no e-mail and still says delivered 15th-17th of December so doesn't look like it yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I am thinking of going for an 8Gb Moto G as a replacement for my old LG Optimus 7 Windows Phone.

I have really loved the WP operating system and the only thing that stops me from going for a WP8 phone is the lack of 3rd party apps, most companies still only seem to do iOS or Android apps, such as the controls for our home burglar alarm etc.

My only experience of Android is on a HP Touchpad which is very crashy but probably not a fair comparison :p

Just wondering if anyone has made a similar jump from WP to a recent Android phone and how do you find the change?

Also what is the best Sat Nav app for android?

The price of the Moto G makes it hard to beat....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evifeno

W00T! Got the Moto G 8GB this morning, arrived first thing by post! I'll report back ;-)

Do-more wrote: »
    I am thinking of going for an 8Gb Moto G as a replacement for my old LG Optimus 7 Windows Phone.

I have really loved the WP operating system and the only thing that stops me from going for a WP8 phone is the lack of 3rd party apps, most companies still only seem to do iOS or Android apps, such as the controls for our home burglar alarm etc.

My only experience of Android is on a HP Touchpad which is very crashy but probably not a fair comparison :p

Just wondering if anyone has made a similar jump from WP to a recent Android phone and how do you find the change?

Also what is the best Sat Nav app for android?

The price of the Moto G makes it hard to beat....

My girlfriend went from Lumia 800 to the Moto G and she's delighted she did. Loved the Lumia but she had to change as the Windows app store wasn't progressing quick enough. Since she works in social media it's important she has the latest apps. Android can offer that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My girlfriend went from Lumia 800 to the Moto G and she's delighted she did. Loved the Lumia but she had to change as the Windows app store wasn't progressing quick enough. Since she works in social media it's important she has the latest apps. Android can offer that

Thanks but the difference in app availability is well documented and I've already stated that that is what would entice me to buy an android phone.

What I was hoping for was some feedback on changing OS, the general user experience, OS stability re. random crashes and freezes etc. stuff like that.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Thanks but the difference in app availability is well documented and I've already stated that that is what would entice me to buy an android phone.

What I was hoping for was some feedback on changing OS, the general user experience, OS stability re. random crashes and freezes etc. stuff like that.

While I can't speak with experience for this phone, the android OS is as stable if not more so than iOS or WP8. You will have no issues with crashes or freezes on 4.3, particularly as this version is pretty much stock android save for a few minor changes. You've nothing to be worried about for crashes or freezes. They don't or rarely ever happen.

• Advertisement

so..the listing for the 16gb model on tesco is gone completely now! :(

Does anyone know of a store in the UK that someone could walk into to buy this? Do tesco stores in the UK sell this for 130 sterling, same as the online price? Anyway of knowing if they have stock in-store? I have a friend over there who could post one home for me...

Advertisement