Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sonics2k wrote: »
    He did indeed, and a few friends of mine in Google have had a shot at it too. But I thought they said it was a 5" device.

I'm not surprised it's by LG, Google like to move from manufacturer now and then.

LG is an obvious move, they have a similar design style to Samsung, but are less cocky and powerful in the market, so it works very well for both parties.

LG get's extra advertising from Google, and Google get's a bit more influence than they would have had with Samsung or Asus.

LG made the last Nexus phone, the N4. It's not a move at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

5starpool wrote: »
    LG made the last Nexus phone, the N4. It's not a move at all.

I admit I had a complete brainfart and thought it was Asus when I wrote the post, and only realized when I came back to this thread to correct myself, to see you already had! I confused the Nexus 7 and 4.

DAMN YOU STARPOOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Great looking phone, been weighing up between this and a Xiaomi Mi3, even though it's unlikely I really hope they include expandable storage or at least offer a 32GB model for those of us outside 3G areas/low data contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

I admit I had a complete brainfart and thought it was Asus when I wrote the post, and only realized when I came back to this thread to correct myself, to see you already had! I confused the Nexus 7 and 4.

DAMN YOU STARPOOL!

well in fairness to you, with samsung making the 10, LG making the 4 and asus making the 7.....you get where im going with this dont you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I know it's anyone's guess, but how much do people think this will cost at launch?

After losing my N4 last weekend, I'm torn between ordering another N4 when it's so cheap or waiting for the N5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I know it's anyone's guess, but how much do people think this will cost at launch?

After losing my N4 last weekend, I'm torn between ordering another N4 when it's so cheap or waiting for the N5.

A good guess would be the same price as the old one used to be before the price cut. It's possible it could get a price increase like the new Nexus 7 did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Not sure the new nexus 7 did get a price increase, I bought the original new for 240 from hmv and got the new one for 220 euro from game.
    Maybe individual retailers have increased the price but Google have kept the price relatively similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not sure the new nexus 7 did get a price increase, I bought the original new for 240 from hmv and got the new one for 220 euro from game.
    Maybe individual retailers have increased the price but Google have kept the price relatively similar.

Google definitely increased the price on the Nexus 7. It was only $20/$30 if I remember correctly. Your experience was purely down to retail pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The more I read about the N5, (although any info available at the moment is speculation) the less likely I feel I am to get it. I have the Galaxy Nexus and skipped the N4 as I just felt it wasn't enough of an upgrade for me. I am not sure the N5 will be either. I'll wait and see though. Also, the fact that flubit only allow Amazon links and the problems getting devices direct from Play in Ireland make it even less attractive.

I am buying off contract, so unless something great is revealed, I may end up waiting until the Spring for a look at the S5 which would be my first non-nexus android...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Nexus 5 passes through FCC?

Link

Must be if its running 4.4. A larger screen bit smaller over all compared to the N4. Nice.

"Other new information includes a screen size of 126mm or 4.96-inches diagonal, and a full case size of 131.9mm high and 68.2mm wide (for reference, the Nexus 4 is 133.9mm x 68.7mm)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

"This LG-D820 device, whatever it may be, supports a serious number of radio bands as well. We're looking at pentaband HSPA+ 42mbps on 850, 900, 1700, 1900 and 2100MHz, 7-band LTE on Band 2, 4, 5, 17, 25, 26 and 41 and most interestingly EVDO revA (CDMA) on 800 and 1900MHz."

What does this mean for Ireland with regards to our new LTE networks? Are any not supported?
    Looking forward to seeing this and it could be my next phone.

Uriel. wrote: »

I am buying off contract, so unless something great is revealed, I may end up waiting until the Spring for a look at the S5 which would be my first non-nexus android...

Slightly upgrade CPU. Slightly upgraded camera. Slightly upgraded OS.

Revolutionary and Innovative.

:D

It's impossible to tell at the moment, but the sales drop and backlash in relation to the "bland" S4, may see Samsung needing something particularly innovative in the S5 to restore faith in its flagship device.

Time will tell though.

Uriel. wrote: »
    It's impossible to tell at the moment, but the sales drop and backlash in relation to the "bland" S4, may see Samsung needing something particularly innovative in the S5 to restore faith in its flagship device.

Time will tell though.

I'm inclined to agree. I absolutely loved the S3 and treasured it the year I had it, but when it came time to upgrade I went with the HTC One instead. Whilst the S4 is a good phone, it wasn't a massive or decent change from the S3.

Similar to Apple and the 4S and 5 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I really hope they don't make it any bigger than the N4, which is already a bit too big. All the flagship devices on the market are now too big, don't want to have to go back to an iphone as I prefer android.

jester77 wrote: »
    I really hope they don't make it any bigger than the N4, which is already a bit too big. All the flagship devices on the market are now too big, don't want to have to go back to an iphone as I prefer android.

I'm afraid I'd disagree with this as I'd prefer a larger phone and that's the way the trend and sales are going. The one good thing is though you'll find an Android phone size to suit your needs, budget and taste unlike the iPhone where it's far more limited in choice and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dudda wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'd disagree with this as I'd prefer a larger phone and that's the way the trend and sales are going. The one good thing is though you'll find an Android phone size to suit your needs, budget and taste unlike the iPhone where it's far more limited in choice and size.

The N4 is just about useable with one hand and at times it's a struggle and I don't even have small hands. When I'm carrying the kid in the left arm and want to answer a text it's a struggle. The android back button is next to useless, never know where it will send you back to, so have to use the apps back button which is the furthest point from my thumb and more often than not the muscle in my thumb will hit something else before my thumb stretches to the back button.

As for choice, there are not that many options out there when it comes to top of the range android devices. Sense UI is rubbish imo, and Samsungs touch wiz look like it was developed in a kindergarten and is even worse. As someone who doesn't want to root, that leaves me with nexus and and the vanilla android versions of the HTC One and Samsung S4, both of which are too big.

At least the iphone will be useable with one hand, but I would prefer to stay with android, but that is looking like it may not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Dudda wrote: »
    The one good thing is though you'll find an Android phone size to suit your needs, budget and taste unlike the iPhone where it's far more limited in choice and size.

Not really true though, the majority of high end Android devices are 4.8-5in size. Yeah you can find smaller models like the S4 Mini/HTC One Mini but they do not have the same specs as the higher end models and having played around with an S3 mini when it came out, was terribly sluggish in comparison to the S3. Its a major issue with android, there isn't a single manufacturer making a 4.5in or smaller device with specs similar to an S4/One. In that regard, iPhone is the only high end device available for customers who prefer a smaller size phone.

EDIT: Jester said the same thing essentially.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Obviously different for different people, but the ability to use the phone with one hand isn't something that ranks highly in the decision making process for me personally.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Obviously different for different people, but the ability to use the phone with one hand isn't something that ranks highly in the decision making process for me personally.

nor me.

I think it is difficult to expect full high end specs in a mini branded phone as well. Smaller battery would be wiped completed with such high end specs.

Maybe there's a happy medium somewhere, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Folks have tried and failed to get the radio working on the N7 (apparently hardware wise the 3G model can act as a telephone but it's disabled in software/firmware somewhere). I was hoping that would succeed as I have a 3G N7 and my hands are big enough to actually use it as a phone. Never materialised though so just bought the discounted N4 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

At least the iphone will be useable with one hand, but I would prefer to stay with android, but that is looking like it may not be an option.

I read the new flagship iPhone is rumoured to have a 5" screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

The N4 is just about useable with one hand and at times it's a struggle and I don't even have small hands. When I'm carrying the kid in the left arm and want to answer a text it's a struggle. The android back button is next to useless, never know where it will send you back to, so have to use the apps back button which is the furthest point from my thumb and more often than not the muscle in my thumb will hit something else before my thumb stretches to the back button.

As for choice, there are not that many options out there when it comes to top of the range android devices. Sense UI is rubbish imo, and Samsungs touch wiz look like it was developed in a kindergarten and is even worse. As someone who doesn't want to root, that leaves me with nexus and and the vanilla android versions of the HTC One and Samsung S4, both of which are too big.

"Other new information includes a screen size of 126mm or 4.96-inches diagonal, and a full case size of 131.9mm high and 68.2mm wide (for reference, the Nexus 4 is 133.9mm x 68.7mm)."

The Nexus 5 is smaller than the Nexus 4 in overall size by 2mm in height and 0.5mm in width. It's the screen size thats bigger not the overall phone which is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Not really, you can replace most of Touchwiz or Sense with a different launcher. They don't require root.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nolimits wrote: »
    Not really, you can replace most of Touchwiz or Sense with a different launcher. They don't require root.

Indeed, I used nova to have the jelly bean look and feel on my galaxy s II without root, worked pretty well

Nonsense, Android is completely changeable whether it's a Samsung, HTC, Sony or even a Nexus device. Even low end modern Android devices can be changed massively to the users wants and needs.

There's numerous apps like UCCW, Beautiful Widgets and more for those who want to do it themselves.

For the terminally lazy (me), there's Buzz Launcher which can completely redo the screen to a preset style for free.

Rooting is completely unneeded, unless you want to entirely change the OS to something else, which isn't really required for the average joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

And so much new running blotware it makes all the upgrades null and void. I bet this year's nexus 4 will run rings around the S5 in terms of day today use and slickness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

https://twitter.com/evleaks

So according to these guys, who are usually pretty reliable, the LG phone which went through FCC is not the new Nexus. On the plus side, that hopefully means the Nexus has a bigger battery and isn't plastic.

Advertisement