Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car smoking ban

• 27-06-2012 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What say you to this proposal?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/govt-approves-car-smoking-ban-draft-laws.html
    Minister for Health James Reilly was given the go-ahead to draw up amendments to a Seanad Private Members Bill on the issue.

The Bill, introduced by Senators John Crown, Jillian van Turnhout and Mark Daly, advocated a ban on all smoking in cars when children are in the vehicle.
    A step too far?

I can see this being just one more unenforced motoring law if it does get brought in. Can't really see the point of it either in the larger context, children can still be subject to smoke in their home etc where they spend much more time with their (smoker) parents. Is it really worth the effort to police in the grand scheme of things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I wonder how many points you will get for it? Consider you can get 1 for driving down the wrong side of a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Why would you want to fill your car with smoke when driving and destroy its interior etc with ash/smell/grime etc anyway?

IMO there is no difference between holding a cigarette and a phone/doing make up/eating food or whatever and the numerous ignorant people smoking in cars with children in the back is simply unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a bit rich from a fatty, maybe we shouldn't allow fatty's near children incase they sit on them or encourage them to be fat.

This is beyond stupid, somebody needs to tell FG/FF, 1984 is not an instruction manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'm 100% in favour for this proposal to come into reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Aside from the police state or nanny state arguments, can anyone really disagree with the motive behind this?

Ps. I'm a smoker with a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/govt-approves-car-smoking-ban-draft-laws.html

A step too far?

I can see this being just one more unenforced motoring law if it does get brought in. Can't really see the point of it either in the larger context, children can still be subject to smoke in their home etc where they spend much more time with their (smoker) parents. Is it really worth the effort to police in the grand scheme of things?

smoking in cars is gross.

vile even..!

if someone wants to smoke in car and fill it up with fags thats fine, not in my car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Love to see it happen but can't see how it could ever be enforced. Maybe it's my imagination, but I am beginning to notice that driving without tax and insurance and drink driving are becoming more socially acceptable once again, particularly in rural areas where lack of enforcement is a key factor.

Unfortunately I cant see this being a runner any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I honestly cant see why people have a problem with this, if your stupid enough to smoke in a car with a child you deserve more than penalty points.

Its been proven with the 2004 smoking ban that law itself can be enough of a deterrence without wide scale checks and enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

People smoking in cars with kids is disgusting imo.

I was in Dunnes recently and this unsavoury looking individual drove in with a fag in her mouth. She parked and took the child out whilst placing the teat of his bottle into her mouth full of smoke..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would be completely in favour of such a law and have believed for years that it should be illegal to smoke in any confined area around children. Anyone who subjects their kids to cigarette smoke full stop is the absolute scum of the earth as far as Im concerned, but especially if they turn their car into gas chamber while their kids are in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You could have a stream of Garda cars parked in an Industrial estate and not pull one Commercial driver who is smoking in his "workplace".

Likewise I cannot see them parked by a school waiting to stop somebody smoking near a child in their own car.

This government needs to back out of peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Beer Baron wrote: »
    This government needs to back out of peoples lives.

The people of this country need to grow a few brain cells and be just a little less selfish, so that the government doesn't have to legislate common sense.

I'll bet there are countless morons up and down the entire country, belligerently refusing to obey this law because they think there is no harm in second hand smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nympho

Ban them fecking fags! 100% in favour of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

When I though it was an outright ban on smoking in cars - Disagreed in the name of freedom
    When I saw it was around kids - Agreed

I don't have children and I don't smoke but to me it's probably only dealing with the surface of what's probably a general unhealthy environment for the children. At least in a moving car there's good ventilation with open windows. It's potentially much worse at home with some people's fear of "letting the cold in", keeping windows closed while the central heating is going. If you're going to enforce this, what about an anti junk food law too? No children under the age of 16 can be served in McDonalds etc, parents seen with their toddlers eating a pack of meanies or haribo can be prosecuted too. Along with logging the amount of tv and computer hours a child is exposed to in favour of exercise/social activities :D

I think the previous generations messed it up and this generation is continuing to mess it up. There should be and should have been education in schools on health. Take away any of the pointless compulsory subjects and classes and replace them with life lessons. How to eat well, drive, light a fire, deal with certain situations, why eating that chocolate bar will only make your acne riddled face worse etc. Things children can benefit from. After 12 years, I only know how to ask permission to go to the toilet in Irish, shouldn't even need to ask permission for such a thing!

What's the story with eating while driving by the way? I remember a story linked to here about a lady in Scotland who was fined for eating an apple while driving? Is there any such laws here and would eating an apple be ok while eating a salad with a fork not be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where To wrote: »
    Love to see it happen but can't see how it could ever be enforced.

It's no more an effort to police than the mobile phone ban. Most people probably get away with it, but it's pretty easy for a passing garda to see if you're smoking with kids in the car.

I'm sure it will eventually become policed by the kids themselves anyway, as they did with seatbelts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm sure it will eventually become policed by the kids themselves anyway, as they did with seatbelts.

didn't think of that actually, good point

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Why would you want to fill your car with smoke when driving and destroy its interior etc with ash/smell/grime etc anyway?

IMO there is no difference between holding a cigarette and a phone/doing make up/eating food or whatever and the numerous ignorant people smoking in cars with children in the back is simply unacceptable.
    IMO theres a huge difference. Taking a drag from a cigarette is no more distracting then scratching an itchy nose, or changing gear. Its an automatic thing, hardly thought about. I do however think people smoking with children in the car is unfair on the child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

This is moronic. Bad parents are going to be bad parents. You can't protect the kids all the time. If the parents smoke in the car, they will smoke around them in the house in confined areas.
    Obviously it's easy to just say that the kids should be protected so it's ok for the law to be passed, but this is just another intrusion into people's lives by a government who (just like the last) have shown no proof of ability to control that kind of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

IMO theres a huge difference. Taking a drag from a cigarette is no more distracting then scratching an itchy nose, or changing gear. Its an automatic thing, hardly thought about. I do however think people smoking with children in the car is unfair on the child

It's more than that though, to be fair. Lighting the smoke, extinguishing it, and getting rid of the ash all require breaks in concentration from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Jimdagym wrote: »
    It's more than that though, to be fair. Lighting the smoke, extinguishing it, and getting rid of the ash all require breaks in concentration from driving.

I don't smoke, but I do eat a lot when driving, I don't find it distracting at all. I find I don't drive as well when I've people in the car and am engaged in conversation. I can't imagine this being tackled in the name of road safety. I think the smoking issue here is more on children's health than road safety though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This is moronic. Bad parents are going to be bad parents. You can't protect the kids all the time. If the parents smoke in the car, they will smoke around them in the house in confined areas.

Maybe so, but this is a good step, and in the right direction too.
    And if the children start policing it themselves like was said above, it might well be brought home.

And just becuase you can't protect kids all the time doesn't mean you shouldn't try to protect them when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And just because you can't protect kids all the time doesn't mean you shouldn't try to protect them when you can.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I smoke but don't have kids.

I'd never dream of smoking in MY car whilst my Niece or Nephew were in there with me.

They shouldn't have to suffer for my idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You're probably right, in that smoking in the car is one visible symptom of selfish parents, and they will do it at home as well, but a car is a particularly confined area, and if the demister / fan is on, the smoke will circulate even more rapidly. So for that reason I'd be in favour of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Next thing the CDC will tell the world that mothers cannot spit on a tissue and wipe a childs face for fear of an "outbreak".

Whilst I agree that people shouldn't smoke in the company of children it is NOT the states job to police stupidity.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that people shouldn't smoke in the company of children it is NOT the states job to police stupidity.
    Is it the State's job to protect children?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with a smoke ban in car if children are present. There's still, in 2012, many parents poisoning their kids in a cramped space.
    And it doesn't seem to be a class issue either, I've seen it in both vans and up-scale Mercs.

I am a smoker and smoke in the car a lot but there is no way I'd smoke with kids in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm a smoker but I don't smoke in my car nor my house. I don't think it's fair for non smokers to have to put up with my smoke so the only place I smoke is outside. I actually can't stand smoking inside because the room gets stuffy and it's a horrible place to be.

I am 100% in favour of this ban coming into effect. The problem is that with the smoking ban in pubs etc., if it happened, there was always someone there to witness it. This won't be the case for an in-car ban and you will most definitely have people doing it anyway.

Personally, I think cigarettes should be banned outright because I don't have the willpower just yet to give them up :pac:

• I completely agree provided it only applies when children are in the car. I don't smoke (anymore) but if someone wants to smoke in their car alone or with other adults that's there decision and nothing to do with the government.

• Advertisement

Personally, I think cigarettes should be banned outright because I don't have the willpower just yet to give them up :pac:
    What, so you could pay €50 a packet to a dealer?;)

Advertisement