Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Friend of a work mate lives next door to them. Said house alarm was going off, and the man was more afraid by how calm the robber was.

So the house alarm went off, but didn't awake until the guy was standing over him ? And with both the internal and external alarm ringing, the intruder could be heard calmly asking for the keys ?

And why the hammer, was the fuse in the kettle gone or was the water cut off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So the house alarm went off, but didn't awake until the guy was standing over him ? And with both the internal and external alarm ringing, the intruder could be heard calmly asking for the keys ?

And why the hammer, was the fuse in the kettle gone or was the water cut off ?

:rolleyes: No that house the the guy uses natural gas for boiling water, would of taken to long that way and there was a feckin alarm going which can be quite annoying when your tryin to organise physical violence and grand theft!!!
    Use your common sense ;)
    I call........SHENANIGANS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fletch wrote: »
    Very end of Ongar http://goo.gl/maps/jXFFd

Oh of course. Always thought of that as Wysteria Lane actually! I live right across from it.... Derp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Fair enough, its of absolutely no odds to me either way.
    Neighbourhood watch, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Ongar_clonsilla road round-a-bout, there is a volvo crashed and garda scanning the area, the chopper is hovering overhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

A man woke in his house in Castlefield last week with a man standing over his bed, hood up and hammer in hand and coolly asked for keys to the car (a souped up VW Golf).

This story amazes me. Why would a robber risk being identified or caught in order to steal a car.

It just is not the modus operandi of car thieves. They don't generally go in to the house and connect with the owner - they don't need to do this, they just hot wire the car and are off.

"A man" - this sounds like it is the old "a friend of a friend".......and we all know that this is just urban myths doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

A man woke in his house in Castlefield last week with a man standing over his bed, hood up and hammer in hand and coolly asked for keys to the car (a souped up VW Golf).

This story amazes me. Why would a robber risk being identified or caught in order to steal a car.

It just is not the modus operandi of car thieves. They don't generally go in to the house and connect with the owner - they don't need to do this, they just hot wire the car and are off.

"A man" - this sounds like it is the old "a friend of a friend".......and we all know that this is just urban myths doing the rounds.
    Please tell me more about the modus operandi of car thieves, I'm intrigued. The vast majority of robbers risk being identified, no?
    Cars can't just be hot wired or a lot more would be taken, there's a reason there are immobilisers on them. The car was more or less been seen and stolen to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Please tell me more about the modus operandi of car thieves, I'm intrigued. The vast majority of robbers risk being identified, no?
    Cars can't just be hot wired or a lot more would be taken, there's a reason there are immobilisers on them. The car was more or less been seen and stolen to order.

Source for your tale, plz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've had a burglar come into my bedroom whilst I was asleep and root through the wardrobes and drawers. These guys are fearless. They really couldn't care less, as if you wake up or resist they just threaten you with a hammer/syringe etc and can be long gone before the Gardai arrive. Even if they do get caught, it's a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Some stuff happening near auburn ave last night? helicopter woke me at 2.25am,a garda car drove around the grass on the green and a garda(?)was walking up the road with a torch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

I have been robbed few times, but this is not an issue as cannot be effectively delth with.

Now, I come with another problem - not sure if it belongs here thou;

I know it is widely practiced and probably accepted, but is legal to litter in green areas?
    (usually done by teenages (or younger) - chips bags, dink cans and bottles, etc., occassionaly by adults too, but they are kind of more discrete about it)

I have also noticed that these park wardens tend to clean only around the gates and main walkways and avoid the more affected areas, so I thought it might be just my problem... Is anything what can be done about it (aparat from picking them myself ... and taking home, as no bins can be found around) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

markas wrote: »
    I know it is widely practiced and probably accepted, but is legal to litter in green areas?

Um, no...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is anything what can be done about it (aparat from picking them myself ... and taking home, as no bins can be found around) ?
    That is what I do - pick it up myself.
    Report the issue (littering and lack of action my park wardens) to FCC Parks and FCC Environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bighorsebiceps

This thread is the only reason i browse boards.ie (curiousity and self protection) so i have joined up to share some info.

A good friend of mine from my area has been robbed twice now in the last 6 - 7 weeks. Clonsilla are. Theres a good few in the family of all ages and there is always someone coming/going in/out of the house. There is also a big dog out the back to deter intruders.

Anyway the house has been nicked twice, the first time cash was taken along with some minor things downstairs. The robber was confronted at 4 - 5am by my m8 coming home. My m8 came around the back, opened the patio door and walked in after a night out, he knew something was wrong and noticed someone appearing from behind the kitchen table direction. My m8 picked up a glass but noticed your man was holding a blade. The scumbag screamed something and ran out.

The second time was only a couple of days ago. There was definetly more than one robber, they managed to use the same entrance (back patio door) got it open, let the dog run out before sliding in (clever). My m8 was up at the time heard the dog barking looked out the back window and thought it was just his owlfella walking the dog before he went to work, this is roughly 2.30am. My m8 goes back to bed, few minutes later he hears some noise comes out of the room and his owlfella is standing there, car just got nicked.

The robbers took the keys to a jeep in the garden reversed it into his owlfellas car and drove off, they also took a schoolbag belonging to a sister (emptied it out beforehand) using it for another job i reckon. Anyway the car was found a few days later, coppers still have it for forensics or whatever.

Weridest bit about the story is that the younger sister says the same night she woke up and noticed a little light/torch in her room, she thought it was one of the brothers on his phone and asked him "to get out im asleep" or whatever the lad responded "im looking for da". So these boys were obviously familiar with whose rooms they could go into!

I reckon some of these robberies are being coordinated by people living in our own estates who are watching the comings/goings of neighbours. Best to lock all the doors and get a dog !

I reckon some of these robberies are being coordinated by people living in our own estates who are watching the comings/goings of neighbours. Best to lock all the doors and get a dog !

Dog is not really an universall solution - who can afford keeping a guard dog.. others are easily cheated/threatened by the robbers..

Good neighbourhood is the key - bet first make sure that thay are not gonna rob you thamselves :)

^ exactly yeah no thats a good point.

I suppose being extra cautious in every way possible is the way to be.

Like the old quote

"just because im paranoid, doesnt mean that there not out to get me"

Either way its only a matter of time before someone breaks into the wrong house

^ exactly yeah no thats a good point.

I suppose being extra cautious in every way possible is the way to be.

Like the old quote

"just because im paranoid, doesnt mean that there not out to get me"

Either way its only a matter of time before someone breaks into the wrong house

Well, being paranoid ... we all are in a way (by putting higher fences, setting up cameras, etc..).. but the cost of it is too high, and it attracts.. curiosity :) The same fences isolate people from each other, even if they have no bad intentions

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Well, being paranoid ... we all are in a way (by putting higher fences, setting up cameras, etc..).. but the cost of it is too high, and it attracts.. curiosity :) The same fences isolate people from each other, even if they have no bad intentions

you think strong security measures attract unwanted attention:confused, and thus you are more likely to be a victim of crime?
    I wouldnt of thought so

you think strong security measures attract unwanted attention:confused, and thus you are more likely to be a victim of crime?
    I wouldnt of thought so

Of course, but this is more 'professional robbers' approach, I would imagine

What is plague in here, I think, is of different nature - just bold breaking in random houses to seek cash and other easy prey

Got an email today that was sent around by management where I work. It said that 2 of our employees had recently been mugged on Snugborough road in separate incidents. Both happened early in the morning. They were approached by a guy on a bicycle and threatened with a weapon.

Gardai are aware and have advised not walking alone, and to be very aware of your surroundings. They suggest not wearing headphones as they reduce awareness. Also, it's a good idea to have the local Gardai station's number in your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Got an email today that was sent around by management where I work. It said that 2 of our employees had recently been mugged on Snugborough road in separate incidents. Both happened early in the morning. They were approached by a guy on a bicycle and threatened with a weapon.

Gardai are aware and have advised not walking alone, and to be very aware of your surroundings. They suggest not wearing headphones as they reduce awareness. Also, it's a good idea to have the local Gardai station's number in your phone.

When you say early in the morning, is that after midnight early or 6-8 early? Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Also, it's a good idea to have the local Gardai station's number in your phone.
    You will get a better response from 999/112 as it will be sent directly to the Garda cars on the road. The call centre will prioritise the call.

becoming a joke at this stage, i'm even based on the security measurements.

I believe a reinforced door, better locks and a big ass side gate with a caucasian mountain shepard dog behind it would keep any intruder out...add a sly little camera to the mix and you make your own Alcatraz.

Only thing whats gets me is the fact people are being watched without knowing so

When you say early in the morning, is that after midnight early or 6-8 early? Just wondering

They didn't specify exactly in the mail. But I guess it was people coming to work for the early shift, so between 5:30am and 7am I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

That neighbour of mine who had his reg plates stolen this week got a call from the gardai saying that "his" car was used in a drive off at a petrol station in lusk yesterday.

Also I heard two Romanians were caught by the gardai red handed during a burglary of a house opposite the bell pub this week. A taxi driver waiting on a fare saw them and called the guards. Two squad cars came and arrested them. Nothing against any nationality or romanians for that matter but heard that info from a reliable source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

RTT wrote: »
    That neighbour of mine who had his reg plates stolen this week got a call from the gardai saying that "his" car was used in a drive off at a petrol station in lusk yesterday.

Also I heard two Romanians were caught by the gardai red handed during a burglary of a house opposite the bell pub this week. A taxi driver waiting on a fare saw them and called the guards. Two squad cars came and arrested them. Nothing against any nationality or romanians for that matter but heard that info from a reliable source.

Probably <SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A Burglar is a burglar is a burglar. I dont see the point in bringing up nationality, race or creed, it's not useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Yeah and something should be done because the laws dont turn them away from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's going to require a group community effort to fix this, or it's going to go on indefinitely until it escalates to a point where something really (i.e. horrifically) bad happens.

public awareness into basic deterrent security measures is the key.

make everyone aware it's happening (if you're not reading boards.ie or talking to an affected neighbour) and what they can do to help prevent it, such as all the things that have been suggested here, like not leaving keys in sight of the letterbox and not leaving keys inside in the back door etc.

keep valuables locked up and out of sight and do your best to not look like a target.

our front doorbell is broken and i'm actually not going to fix it as anyone we know will have our phone number and won't be cold calling.

we have curtains in front of the front door which stay drawn unless we're coming in or going out. it's primarily to keep out the cold, but it stops snoopers from peering through the letterbox or front windows either side of the door. same on the back too and the blinds are usually down in all the downstairs windows if we're not at home.

we have a deadlock on the front door in addition to the main door lock with the handle and a big padlock on the side gate, which itself is nice and sturdy.

and a house alarm with sensors on all the doors and windows.

oh and 3 high res night vision security cameras connected to a DVR covering the whole place from all angles so anyone dodgy coming into the cul de sac will be ending up on youtube. :D

Imo Neighbourhood Watch fails as things are quite different since it's inception.

I'm very interested in starting up a group to deal with this and at this point have invested some time in doing so.

If you or anyone else is up for getting together on this please pm me.

• Advertisement

there was one in my estate for a while (neighbourhood watch) patrolling during the evenings was a good idea havint noticed them since............good time to bring it back ! for the whole area

Advertisement