Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i lived with a girl who was so stingy and tight that after we had used a black bin bag she emptied the trash out ...

and wanted to reuse it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Some brilliant brilliant stuff in this thread people. But one question about this woman..

Biggins wrote: »
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

Does she have an income? Is it possible she has just never had any money with the husband being away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Peared wrote: »
    Some brilliant brilliant stuff in this thread people. But one question about this woman..

Does she have an income? Is it possible she has just never had any money with the husband being away?

She had her own income. believe it or not, she was a cleaner (on top of unemployment benefit)! The husband was also sending home money when he was in the army.

She was also stingy with her own time with her kids.
    She never took them anywhere (the first time my wife travelled anywhere was with me to Dublin! Then the first time she was out of the country was when I took her up to Newry. She was in the car with my mother and myself and she admitted "This is the first time I've been out of the republic"), the mother never taught them how to cook, they had to learn themselves. Never taught them any skills, they had to learn EVERYTHING from their aunts and that included all about the female growing up problems.
    The mother was stingy to the core about everything she did and time spent!

I hate the ground she walks on. One miserable stingy bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I heard about a guy who was notoriously stingy. In his workplace they had a secret santa thing going with a €10 limit. Everyone kept an eye out for his present. He gave in €10 worth of scratch cards, but he filled his name and address on the back of all of them so he'd be on it for the show!

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Really bad story but I once saw a women pick the sh1te out of a nappy and put it back on the baby again
    Hmmm..

That sounds more like "Fuck it" I've run out of nappies. this'll have to do 'till we get home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not quite 'fork in the sugar bowl' material but I haven't been a student for two and a half years but my old student card has no expiry date so have been using it to get discount since. No one ever questions it.

Biggins wrote: »
    She had her own income. believe it or not, she was a cleaner (on top of unemployment benefit)! The husband was also sending home money when he was in the army.

She was also stingy with her own time with her kids.
    She never took them anywhere (the first time my wife travelled anywhere was with me to Dublin! Then the first time she was out of the country was when I took her up to Newry. She was in the car with my mother and myself and she admitted "This is the first time I've been out of the republic"), the mother never taught them how to cook, they had to learn themselves. Never taught them any skills, they had to learn EVERYTHING from their aunts and that included all about the female growing up problems.
    The mother was stingy to the core about everything she did and time spent!

I hate the ground she walks on. One miserable stingy bitch.

Les Dawson would have beaton a path to your door for material! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I haven't been a student for two and a half years but my old student card has no expiry date so have been using it to get discount since. No one ever questions it.
    Funny, I did that for a while after I left college a good few years ago. I'm a mature student now, but I feel guilty about producing it for stuff, even though I am so skint, it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

ottostreet wrote: »
    thats not stingy. thats just ingenious!
    absolutely brilliant, that man has the head screwed on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    absolutely brilliant, that man has the head screwed on

I know one or two people who used to avoid paying the toll when it was 1.50, not out of principle because I know they're just stingy ****s, the thing is usually it amounts to a longer journey in time and distance - they're losing out but they just can't stand handing over the cash. One of used to look for "petrol" money all the time when running errands over 5k or less, even if they're involved in it the errand themselves (take-away or video shop or cinema trip etc).

I know another one or two who don't "do" Christmas. One of them has kids.

I remember being in a shop in Kilkenny or somewhere at a match, all the TK lemonade bottles had 85p on them, they seen the jersey and tried to rip us off for 14p and charged 99p instead.

One time a mate owed me money, he claimed he posted it and it got lost in the post. I see him every weekened anyway and it was only 30 euro, I didn't even mention it, he asked if I'd received it. He was well known for stinginess.

People have mentioned rounds, I've never once been in a group where if rounds weren't bought by the appropriate party at the appropriate time it wasn't mentioned straight away, there is no politeness involved in rounds as far as I'm concerned. If somebody doesn't pull their weight it's remarked upon straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bad2theboneB

I was in mac donalds with a guy who ate all his chips (fries) apart from one, he then pulled one of his hairs out and put it in the box with the chip and went up complaining there was a hair in his chips in the hope of getting a refund...the manager just shuck the box and said i don`t see any hair!
    I felt embarrassed that i knew him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Yore Ma peeling an orange in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

genius!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

A guy I went to college with used to charge anyone who got a lift with him- even his girlfriend! He was so cheap that he used to drive from santry into the city center and back out to the n4 on his way home every weekend so he wouldn't have to pay the toll on the m50... It nearly killed him when we pointed out that he was probably spending more money on petrol than he was saving by skipping the toll!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I knew a guy who used to steal all his shopping in lidl, he'd fill up his bag with meat, drink etc and then go up to the counter and by something cheap like bread, just so he wasn't seen to walk in and out without getting anything.

Anyway one day he's got a backpack full of stuff, a good 30 quids worth, and goes up to buy mayonaise. He walks out of the shop and notices they charged him twice for the mayonaise. As if stealing all that stuff wasn't enough, the scabby fcker goes back in and gets his money back!

I also have a mate who invited me for a pint in college one day, I turn up and he says he's got no money so i'm buying:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A guy I know down the road from me is notoriously stingy. He got it from his parents in fairness. Stingiest, most spiteful people I know.

The lad barely worked a day in his life and receives illness benefit or whatever it is called, for an illness he himself admits he does not have. He thinks it's hilarious. The only reason I ever am in is company is because he grew up in the same estate as many of my mates who I play football with. He routinely shows up for football without the 4 or 5 euro for the use of the astroturf, claiming that he has no money. Often times this is true, but because he buys new clothes and such, every bloody week.

For someone who isn't working, you wouldn't read too much into it, but every week when he gets his money he goes into town and buys all before him. He is usually penniless by Friday evening.

My brother made the mistake of lending him money a couple of years ago, because he gave him a bleeding heart story of how his mom wasn't able to pay the rent. My brother didn't want to lend him the money, but the story the fella had concocted got the better of his judgement. He was fairly tight for cash himself, being a hard working apprentice, barely keeping a roof over his head with the money he got. He lent the money on the condition that it be returned as soon as his money came through the following Thursday.

Yer man went missing for about 3 weeks. Was not contactable. Avoided situations that would see them cross paths. The day after my brother's rent was due, he gave me a call as he was desperate for cash to pay his rent. I went as far as him to give it to him, as I would hate to have been in the same position myself. I just asked in passing how he managed to leave himself so far short. After pressing him a bit, he admitted it was because of yer man.

When he told me he would pay back ASAP, I told him not to worry, that I would sort that cvnt out and get my money back from him instead.

After biting my tongue for a long while, I started to confront the fella. On several occasions he told me to meet him at the post office when it opened and he would give it to me then. Anytime we arranged this, he instructed his mother to collect his money or cheque, or whatever it was.

After seeing him, time upon time, with wads of cash each week(not literally wads), I threatened to call into the friendly local Garda station on my way home, the next time I passed it. Half of the money he "didn't have" suddenly arrived at my house 10 minutes later. He also tried to make it appear to the other occupants of the car that he was lending me money. I decided to make it crystal clear what the situation was to all parties present.

Some may think that I am making certain assumptions, but I know these people for years, and my father the older generation of them. They receive more than enough money from the state to live comfortably. They have sky+ and big screen TV's and expensive broadband packages that working people would do well to pay. Before anyone mentions it, I'm not jealous of Sky+. I hardly ever watch TV and sure why would I when I have boards.ie!

In my local internet café, in which you have to pre-pay for your time, he somehow managed to get them to give him 20 or 30 euro on his account, because he said he was broke. The library down the fvcking road has free internet FFS. When the credit on his account was exhausted, he purposely avoided the café if there was a staff member present who knew of the "arrangement". I got talking to the owner one day about how he gave yer man credit. I told him what I knew of his "customer's" character. Between myself and one of his staff, we convinced him that he was being ridiculed by the fella around town, because he "done him out of 30 quid of internet", and was extremely proud of it.

Another gem I heard about him came from a good friend of mine. They used to go to the chipper on the way home from football on the weekend. The fella would usually sulk in the corner, and complain about having no money until someone would pity him, even though he was always the person insistent on going there. On one occasion, he stunned everyone by going up and insisting on ordering for the lads. They could do nothing but take advantage of this miracle. This miracle however was short-lived. One of the fellas overheard the conversations between him and the woman behind the counter. "Ah, erm... I don't have the money for you now, but I'll give it to you on Thursday". They were understandably stunned. They were in such disbelief that they didn't make much of it. For nearly a year after that day, it was noted that he avoided the place whenever the people that served him were working.

I could write a book about the fvcker, I seem to have gotten halfway there already! Christ I didn't realise I had gone on such a rant...

PS.

I finally got the rest of the money he owed off him, when a group of us were putting money in together to buy something. His share covered 20 euro over what he had owed for more than 18 months. He had the cheek to threaten me, for "stealing his money". Nobody would entertain his protests now in any case because, as they say, his reputation precedes him.

EDIT: Officially my longest post ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Before anyone mentions it, I'm not jealous of Sky+. I hardly ever watch TV and sure why would I when I have boards.ie!

sounds like quite the bastard. for some reason though, these two lines are thrown in like they were added on by someone else. not sure why they stood out, just thought they were funny...proceed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rednik wrote: »
    In work one day I saw a bloke reusing a tea bag. I thought it was a one off until somebody told me he does this every day.:eek:

Ah sorry but you can get two cups of tea out of one tea bag! My dad does it all the time and he aint no stinge!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

A few years ago an Uncle from the States, and an Uncle from England were over for a family thing. US uncle gave me a capo for a guitar, he said it was a special type of one and he had looked everywhere in the states for the guy that made it because English uncle had asked him to get some.

I thought that was cool.

On the way to the pub one night the English uncle asked if I liked the capo and proceeded to tell me that he asked for 2 but only got one. I said sorry & I didn't realise and offered it back. He said no and I offered again having been made feel guilty and he just goes "ok, thanks", and got it off me the next time he called. Stingy feicer, the thing would only cost a few dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

A work colleague of my gf is well known for being pure stingy ... for the Christmas Party they take it in turns (going by seniority/years served) to organise the party and then next in line organises the Summer party and so on.

Christmas just gone, it was this particualar fellas turn, so he put in the minimum effort into getting something organised ... and then didnt turn up himself as he did not want to pay for the meal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

on a weekender one of the lads is drunk on an empty stomach and pukes his beer into his pint glass and proceeds to drink it again. Said "Waste not want not".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I worked in a student bar once and "The Regurgitator" was playing that night. He asked for 4 pints of beer from the bar, downed them all, and then regurgitated them back into the four pint glasses. He asked if any of the students wanted them and they were all taken and drank by people in the crowd.
    In fairness, it can be alittle unfair if someone is only getting a cheap main course and others are getting fillet steaks plus starters and desserts.

Being a tight focker myself, late one night whilst staying in a hotel i was craving some coke- it was something like €10 for a tiny bottle. Drank it anyway, went across to the shop the next morning and bought a bottle, then filled up the glass bottle, put the lid back on and put it back in the minibar :D:D
    I went to a hotel not long ago where the bottles and snacks had a little pressure sensor underneath them. A colleague lifted a can of coke and put it back and didn't drink it but was still charged for it when paying his bill. Be careful next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Remember at my cousin's party the couple that owned a shop across the way from us sat at our table.
    They made sure that they was a blank spot next to them so they could order a 3rd meal for themselves. So they ordered starter/soup/dinner/desert/wine for this so-called 3rd person.
    Myself and the mates were sitting there seething as they boasted about how they do this as all the weddings they go to and how the bride could afford it.
    Really fit to kill them at this stage but mates persuaded me not to make a scene as it would ruin the wedding. :mad:
    I wouldn't mind but their meanness cost me way more money than they saved as everyone one of us refused to shop there since then and went to a shop further up the road.

Another time my sister worked at their shop between college years and she used to throw out all the out of date stuff in the morning and set it aside in a box.
    When she'd come back in the following morning all the stuff would be back on the shelf like bread/butter and normal foodstuffs.
    Miserable feckers the lot of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Some good recession tips here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

My aunt is legendary in my family for her stinginess but the funny thing is she has more money that the lot of us, lives in huge house etc.

Anyway, I was mortified one day when we were all at the airport to meet someone and she starts pocketing the free clear plastic bags that you use to put liquids in - apparently she does it everytime she's at the airport and uses them as freezer / sandwich bags.

She never buys anything and prefers to borrow things instead. Eg, they (herself and her husband) have a huge garden but don't own a lawnmower, they just borrow the neighbours one each time.

She does come in handy alright as she will take anything free no matter how crap it is so if any of us ever have any junk in our houses that we want to get rid of we just ring her up and ask her does she want it and she takes it away, ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I have one for you.

We do Kris Kingle in work for Christmas.
    This year all presents were due to be handed out day after xmas party. Time comes around and presents are being handed out, 2 people left and only 1 present.
    Everyone thinking whats going on..Turns out, one person has said they arent buying a present but took the one given to them! :eek:

Ended up having to divide the last present left (which was 2 books) between 2 people left.

Scabby sh*te :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

A guy I went to college with used to charge anyone who got a lift with him- even his girlfriend! He was so cheap that he used to drive from santry into the city center and back out to the n4 on his way home every weekend so he wouldn't have to pay the toll on the m50... It nearly killed him when we pointed out that he was probably spending more money on petrol than he was saving by skipping the toll!

well that's just ridiculous. he'd only have to go as far as chapelizod. see here for a much faster way to skip the toll:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=M50&daddr=Knockmaroon+Hill%2FR109+to:53.387332,-6.357822&hl=en&geocode=FU_8LQMd3Yqe_w%3BFbIpLgMd4AWf_w%3B&mra=mi&mrcr=1&mrsp=2&sz=14&sll=53.371398,-6.350269&sspn=0.036512,0.11158&ie=UTF8&ll=53.359465,-6.332417&spn=0.073044,0.22316&z=13
    only adds 5km to your journey :P

Gordon wrote: »
    I worked in a student bar once and "The Regurgitator" was playing that night. He asked for 4 pints of beer from the bar, downed them all, and then regurgitated them back into the four pint glasses. He asked if any of the students wanted them and they were all taken and drank by people in the crowd.

I went to a hotel not long ago where the bottles and snacks had a little pressure sensor underneath them. A colleague lifted a can of coke and put it back and didn't drink it but was still charged for it when paying his bill. Be careful next time!
    i stayed in a hotel that had all te stuff in the mini bar in hatches. if you opened the hatch you got charged so if you took something out and then put it back you got charged twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

zefer wrote: »
    I have one for you.

We do Kris Kingle in work for Christmas.
    This year all presents were due to be handed out day after xmas party. Time comes around and presents are being handed out, 2 people left and only 1 present.
    Everyone thinking whats going on..Turns out, one person has said they arent buying a present but took the one given to them! :eek:

Ended up having to divide the last present left (which was 2 books) between 2 people left.

Scabby sh*te :mad:

That's disgraceful.. His present should have been taken off him and given to the person with none. Are those people so short sighted that they don't see they're setting themselves up to be hated by everyone who works with them? Surely the working day can't go quickly when everyone loathes you..

• Advertisement

Quackles wrote: »
    That's disgraceful.. His present should have been taken off him and given to the person with none. Are those people so short sighted that they don't see they're setting themselves up to be hated by everyone who works with them? Surely the working day can't go quickly when everyone loathes you..

ah but if everyone hates you you're unlikely to get invited to places where you have to spend money. it's all part of their master plan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement