Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

God Save the Queen & Croke Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Ciarán Fitzgerald, Pat Spillane and Eamonn Dunphy were on Tubridy Tonight last night talking about this very subject. Dunphy said his grand father was actually at Croke Park that day and that his father was due to go but with the shootings that morning he was sent home in case anything happend.

So to suggest that people would not "remember" or would not be "aware" of these events is quite wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 caomhan

fratton fred

12 British soldiers/spies who vs 13 civilians spectators killed and many more injured by yes soldiers, that is the crux where the spies were engaged is not relevant

i seriously doubt there would be any welsh/scottish british soldier in ireland if not for the ruling english establishment in westminister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

caomhan wrote:
    fratton fred

12 British soldiers/spies who vs 13 civilians spectators killed and many more injured by yes soldiers, that is the crux where the spies were engaged is not relevant

i seriously doubt there would be any welsh/scottish british soldier in ireland if not for the ruling english establishment in westminister

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What was your case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Originally Posted by caomhan
    "

i seriously doubt there would be any welsh/scottish british soldier in ireland if not for the ruling english establishment in westminister"

I rest my case.

Well said Fratton Fred. I also seriously doubt there would be any Irishmen serving in british forces anywhere in the world ( and there are many many thousands of such Irishmen and women ) if not for the ruling english establishment in westminister

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

I am sure plenty of tickets have been bought up by the Celtic jersey wearing, alcoholic, barstool republicans that keep bigotry alive and well in this country. I have witnessed them harrassing black people on Easter Sunday, so I am sure this 'Pond Life' will have the England Rugby fans frimly in their sight's.

Plissken1 wrote:
    I am sure plenty of tickets have been bought up by the Celtic jersey wearing, alcoholic, barstool republicans that keep bigotry alive and well in this country. I have witnessed them harrassing black people on Easter Sunday, so I am sure this 'Pond Life' will have the England Rugby fans frimly in their sight's.

Is that so ? You really think that ? Or are you just taking the p!ss ?

If this decent, leinster shirt wearing, tee totaler cannot get a ticket without having to stump up a grand or more, how are these clowns you describe going to get one ?

Maybe you should catch yourself on and grow the fúck up.

csk wrote:
    If this decent, leinster shirt wearing, tee totaler cannot get a ticket without having to stump up a grand or more, how are these clowns you describe going to get one ?.

Being a tee totaler or not is irrelevant to getting a ticket. Not everyone pays a grand or more either.

csk wrote:

Maybe you should watch your language and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

csk wrote:
    If this decent, leinster shirt wearing, tee totaler cannot get a ticket without having to stump up a grand or more, how are these clowns you describe going to get one ?
    Maybe the Celtic jersey wearer has a Dubs jersey as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Maybe the Celtic-jersey wearer shares the Taoiseach's peculiar nationalism. He "supports" Manchester United, drinks beside Tolka Park but doesn't support Shels. OK, Shels are originally a southside team but he ignores Bohs as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

csk wrote:
    Is that so ? You really think that ? Or are you just taking the p!ss ?

Ive struck a nerve, the truth always hurts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Some guy wrote this into the English Times today. Surprised they
    published it. ........

Scotland weren't much better than a Guinness Premiership or Magners
    League team, but you can only beat what is put in front of you, and
    Saturday represents a very good start. Ireland may well be missing Brian
    O'Driscoll as well as Shane Horgan and don't have the resources in depth
    to overcome such losses. However neither will England have the armoured
    cars and machine guns they had the last time they entered Croke Park!
    -Frank Schnittger, Wicklow, Ireland

I know this is kind of more sport than anything
    I thought it was good anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I think it's time we moved on and stopped making a huge deal out of this. we are all Europeans and therefore should be more tolerant. My fear is as a resident living in the area around Croke Park is that voilence will break out similiar to the orange 'march' in o'connell st last year.

Plissken1 wrote:
    Ive struck a nerve, the truth always hurts

The truth? That I can't get a ticket, yes I suppose you could say that hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Quote:
    Furthermore, Soccer, and Rugby should be eternally grateful to the GAA for the use of Croke Park for their Internationals. The GAA have done them a huge favour to help out in their hour of need.

Im a tax payer. The GAA ought to build a statue of me and worship it.

That, in my opinion, is perhaps the most relevant point in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I was initally against the idea of opening up the stadium to other sports such as Rugby and Soccer, but when you think about it, a stadium used for an amateur sport is being used to host international rugby and soccer games. Highlights the strength of the organisation to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was initally against the idea of opening up the stadium to other sports such as Rugby and Soccer, but when you think about it, a stadium used for an amateur sport is being used to host international rugby and soccer games. Highlights the strength of the organisation to be honest.

I'm sure that every Irishman, whatever their views on Croke Park being used, will be proud of the atmosphere created yesterday. Obviously the result was a bummer, but 80,000 people getting behind an Irish team, whatever sport they are playing, was an impressive site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

smashey wrote:
    The Americans dropped two atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and I have no doubt that their anthem has been played in both those cities on numerous occasions.

Nicely said to quieten the OP's narrow-minded bigotry.

There are reports that the British Government is apparently considering apologising for Bloody Sunday and laying a wreath.

While I would applaud the sentiments behind such a gesture I think such apologies ultimately futile. Surely a minutes silence would be a better gesture but what would I know, apparently that would "shame" the English fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

On November 21, 1920 Dublin City was the scene of a terrible massacre by the Irish Republican Army (IRA). On that morning IRA gunmen burst into a string of houses that lay along the route to the conference centre in Dublin and shot dead 14 British officers and intelligence officials, So called ‘volunteers’ entered houses, shooting indiscriminately into Family bedrooms killing 14 people.

The Ireland of those days was inured to brutality on all sides but there was something about these IRA killings that really shocked the Dublin public. Maybe it was the curiously pathetic fact that most of the victims were dragged from their beds and shot in their pyjamas. But more likely it was the story of how the pregnant wife of one of the officers had thrown herself on top of his wounded body in a vain attempt to save him from being slaughtered.

She gave birth to a stillborn child a few days later.

A few hours after the 14 British officials were killed, troops and police officers opened fire on the crowd at a Gaelic football match in ‘Croke Park’ on the Northside of Dublin. A further 14 people, some of them children, were killed.

In that same Ground on the 24th/ February/ 2007, the National Anthems of both the murders and assassin’s of 1920 will ring out on the Rugby field, & across the stand that commemorates one of the victims ‘Michael Hogan’.

The occasion is the Ireland v England Rugby match for the 6 Nations championship.

What’s your view on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ArthurF wrote:
    The occasion is the Ireland v England Rugby match for the 6 Nations championship.

Is it too late to get tickets?

Is anyone forgetting that the anthem was played 3 years ago in Croke Park at the Special Olympics and no one batted an eyelid. Stop hyping it up to be something that it isn't. As a resident of the area near Croker I couldn't care less. THe past is the past. I thought the war of independance ended years ago...stop fuelling the fire and let sleeping dogs lie. sorrry but thats my view for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Is anyone forgetting that the anthem was played 3 years ago in Croke Park at the Special Olympics and no one batted an eyelid.
    Yes, lots of people, and selectively.

I just drove past Suttonians R.C. tonight and there were two guards on static duty on the gate. It this happening at all Rugby clubs across Dublin tonight, or is I being paranoid?

ArthurF wrote:

Well, your description/spin gave me a laugh anyway...

Yes, lots of people, and selectively.

I just drove past Suttonians R.C. tonight and there were two guards on static duty on the gate. It this happening at all Rugby clubs across Dublin tonight, or is I being paranoid?

Dunno TBH, don't think they are on duty otside each . Didn't see them round clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Love the way Arthur put together that little piece :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ArthurF wrote:
    On November 21, 1920 Dublin City was the scene of a terrible massacre by the Irish Republican Army (IRA). On that morning IRA gunmen burst into a string of houses that lay along my route to the conference centre in Dublin

Along your route to the conference centre? That was 83 years ago, how old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I got my info from the BBC website refered to by a previous poster!

The point I was making in Post #81 is that many people forget (or are unaware)? of the 'lead-up' to the Croke Park atrocity...................

ArthurF wrote:
    I got my info from the BBC website refered to by a previous poster!

The point I was making in Post #81 is that many people forget (or are unaware)? of the 'lead-up' to the Croke Park atrocity...................

Facts ? Why didn't you include some of them in your description ? Why did you leave out some of the more relevant ones ?

Such as the FACT that the Cairo Gang (as those intelligence officers shot were known) were a ruthless counter intelligence force sent over to destroy the Irish resistance by any means necessary.

And the FACT that the "so-called volunteers" were actually members of Óglaigh na hÉireann/the Irish Army under the express orders of a member of the Aireacht/Ministry of the Irish Republic, in the form of the noble Michael Collins.

• Advertisement

csk wrote:
    Facts ? Why didn't you include some of them in your description ? .

He ( Fatton Fred ) did not only include " some of them" in his description, he
    outlined facts people like yourself often "forget".
    csk wrote:
    Why did you leave out some of the more relevant ones ?.
    lol. Below are the 2 relevant "facts" according to csk :D
    csk wrote:
    Such as the FACT that the Cairo Gang (as those intelligence officers shot were known) were a ruthless counter intelligence force sent over to destroy the Irish resistance by any means necessary..

:D :rolleyes:
    csk wrote:
    And the FACT that the "so-called volunteers" were actually members of Óglaigh na hÉireann/the Irish Army under the express orders of a member of the Aireacht/Ministry of the Irish Republic, in the form of the noble Michael Collins.

:rolleyes: :D "in the form of the noble Michael Collins" lol lol.
    Y'know what csk, ye remind me of a cross between Goebells and that fellow Saddam Hussein had as his propoganda minister.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement