Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Thargor wrote: »
    Just flash a new rom to it, that sorts software problems 99% of the time, obviously if your problems are related to a dodgy bit of hardware it probably wont do anything and then ship it back, go into a Post Office and ask for the cheapest option with a tracking number.

Cheers. Never flashed a new rom onto anything so just wary of it especially as they've asked for it back again. probably just put the official rom onto it from that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They wont care, just say thats how you got it. Try something besides the official rom as thats probably whats on it already, pick one with good reviews.

They wont care, just say thats how you got it. Try something besides the official rom as thats probably whats on it already, pick one with good reviews.

Cheers. Yeah it probably is what's on it because it did an official wireless update the day after I got it. If that's the problem I won't be doing that again in a hurry!!

I'll have a look now! Been checking online and nobody else seems to be having this problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eamonnq wrote: »
    Check with the supplier if putting a NEW rom on will invalidate your warranty, or report the problem to them and see what they suggest.

Check with the supplier if putting a NEW rom on will invalidate your warranty.

Just flash a new rom to it, that sorts software problems 99% of the time, obviously if your problems are related to a dodgy bit of hardware it probably wont do anything and then ship it back, go into a Post Office and ask for the cheapest option with a tracking number.

From reading up on this flashing I seem to have picked up that the phone needs to be connected to the computer to do this. But when I connect mine u it doesn't react at all. And my SD Card says damaged the whole time as well and won't work...

Anyone help?

• Advertisement

Does the SD card work in other devices?

Have you tried a factory reset before all this started?

Actually could it be a dodgy SD card causing all your problems? Factory reset and try it without the card...

The card isn't in it anymore. Factory reset done yesterday when I eventually got it charged up by going through back & reset option in settings. no good but could try it agai. going to buy a new SD card for it now at lunchtime anyway here I think

Dont buy a new card if its still doing it with no card in it after a reset its obviously not the SD cards fault... If the new Rom doesnt sort it send it back, if you've already told them you're dicking around with roms in an email then you should just stop and send it back for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Hi mcg1987,

have this phone as well but fortunately without any problems, have you tried formatting the SD card in a pc and then seeing if it will work?, also as Thagor says a factory reset would be worth trying before you return it, there is also a red reset button to the left of the sd card slot which afaik can be used to disconnect the battery temporarily best to google this for more definite information.

• Advertisement

pauleoin wrote: »
    Hi mcg1987,

have this phone as well but fortunately without any problems, have you tried formatting the SD card in a pc and then seeing if it will work?, also as Thagor says a factory reset would be worth trying before you return it, there is also a red reset button to the left of the sd card slot which afaik can be used to disconnect the battery temporarily best to google this for more definite information.

No haven't got to try to format the card yet. Don't have the adapter with me at work but I must try it aye!

Just pressed the reset button there now so we'll see wat happens. Screen just flashing on and off from white THL screen at the minute
    Dont buy a new card if its still doing it with no card in it after a reset its obviously not the SD cards fault... If the new Rom doesnt sort it send it back, if you've already told them you're dicking around with roms in an email then you should just stop and send it back for a refund.

No I didn't tell them anything I just asked would it be better to install a new one or was it to do with the update I got on Saturday?

Try a full wipe with no card in it then and see if the phone is still misbehaving?

the reset button just turned it off, screen flashed on and off, then I had to turn it on myself again. Didn't reset anything all apps etc still on it!

Try a full wipe with no card in it then and see if the phone is still misbehaving?

Just doing that now including phone storage and phone is powering off now. here's hoping.

mcg1987 wrote: »
    the reset button just turned it off, screen flashed on and off, then I had to turn it on myself again. Didn't reset anything all apps etc still on it!
    Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery with that button wouldnt wipe apps and stuff, its for if the phone with a non-removable battery was frozen in the On position.

so phone reset completely. When it was off and plugged into the laptop it tried to read it but then when it turned itself on it dropped off again. So still doesn't charge when it's turned on or computer doesn't recognise it.

Syncing my account to it again now here so will see what happens for the rest of the day sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Do you have another usb cable to try incase it's a cable issue?

tried 4 different chargers yesterday. I have it turned off again now and plugged into the computer and it's charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

So much hassle you have the patience of a saint!

So much hassle you have the patience of a saint!

trust me patience is not my strongpoint. I'm renowned for being an impatient so-and-so!

But I just don't want to have to send it back to China then wait for them to fix it etc and whatnot. But this balls of only charging when turned off would really piss me off!

• Advertisement

If you tried everything suggested on the previous page then its time to flash a new rom, obviously the USB port works if it charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

What was the aliexpress sellers rating like?

If you tried everything suggested on the previous page then its time to flash a new rom, obviously the USB port works if it charges.

yeah I'm going to try that this evening when I get home from work. Need to get an SD card first though as well to do it.
    What was the aliexpress sellers rating like?

Feedback score 7058. 98.1% positive feedback

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/THL-5000-Mobile-Phone-MTK6592-Octa-Core-Android4-4-2-5-0-1080P-IPS-Coning-Gorilla/1991026926.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/feedback-score/902246.html

Bought a new sd card at lunch there. Doesn't work with it either says damaged sd card try reformatting it! FML !!

Will be interested to see if the Rom fixes this now because it sounds a bit fooked tbh. Id say seeing as according to you things were fine before the OTA update chances are good it will. It would still be well worth signing up to XDA Developers and posting your experience though, someone could come along and tell you exactly what to do to fix it.

Will be interested to see if the Rom fixes this now because it sounds a bit fooked tbh. Id say seeing as according to you things were fine before the OTA update chances are good it will. It would still be well worth signing up to XDA Developers and posting your experience though, someone could come along and tell you exactly what to do to fix it.

Yeah I'm on that waiting on a reply. yeah I took it out of the box on Friday afternoon and charged it up fully but actually now I think on it I don't know if t was turned on or not at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

The camera was a big selling point for me and from the pics and videos I have taken I can say it is really good, on par if not better than the iphone 4s camera.

Miui is a pleasantly nice design, my only problem with it is that some app icons (Mainly obscure enough ones e.g. Donedeal) have a sickly green background, but thats not a major problem and only applies to certain apps.

In terms of performance it is really snappy, I tested browsing and installed a number of apps. Everything went really smoothly. I also tested a few mid range games and they also ran without any problems.

The biggest issue with the phone is the hardware. It looks really bland which is expected for a Chinese phone and the screen isn't Gorilla glass so touch gestures and swiping aren't as slick but once again this isn't that big a deal. The back cover is also annoying to remove and the sd slot is finicky. It has a lever type cover which when I pulled up became loose and started rattling but I managed to find a solution.

The only issues with the software are the stock miui apps. There are a few of these and only one or two are useful (Security and anti virus) but some require Xiaomi accounts and the likes so I just threw them all into one folder because they can't be installed.

Overall though I got what I wanted which was a Moto G type phone with a good camera and sd slot for cheaper than an actual Moto G.

If you want to ask me anymore specific questions on the phone go ahead.
    Similar thoughts from me and my Redmi 1S although I thin the exterior is rather classy looking. Doesn't stand out all that much and I'd prefer a rubberised rear cover for better grip of the phone in one hand but these are small issues.

I didn't like MIUI and while Cyanogenmod is being developed for it, unofficially, I decided to see if I could find a way to make it "look" more like stock Android. I found Nova Launcher and loaded that on as the default launcher and that makes it look really slick. Google Now launcher is also available.

Hardware is good and makes using it easy and not frustrating as there is enough RAM and processor speed for anything you need. I don't use it for gaming so not sure of that but I hgave never had it jam up on me with several apps open and the web browser and whatnot all open with music playing too. Anything the Moto G can do, this can do, although it lacks 4g.

One issue is that it can become hot near the camera at the rear as the processor gets to work...this happens when it is under heavy load. No big deal and it cools when you shut down some apps after use. It does not affect performance and won't burn your hands! Also the battery can take a long time to charge but this depends on the charger used it seems...some of my chargers are quicker than others. The last small thing is that the touch buttons at the bottom (home, back, menu) do no light up which is strange but this is the design of the phone. As you use it you become used to where they are and it ceases to be an issue.

Screen is very sharp, coming from an Acer Liquid Glow this looks like 4k TV to me! Sound is good and it has a cool thing to customise the sound for your headphones (apparently Xiaomi make some high-end earphones) like an equaliser but not...

Great value for money phone really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Blaine Fancy Stockpile

Did anyone get the Nubia Z7 ?

Id be interested in reviews.

thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

Anyone get interested in Elephone G5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

Did anyone get the Nubia Z7 ?

Id be interested in reviews.

thanks

I would be interested in this as well. Would be great to hear back some feedback on the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement