Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting a Society

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to start a society in UCD. I have searched boards and the only information I could find was from 2009. Has this changed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62150475

Thanks

It's quite a complicated process and they only started allowing new societies again this year as far as I know. Best starting point would be Richard Butler or Eoghan Murphy who is the chair of the societies council. I'd go to Murphy as Butler can be a very difficult man to get a meeting with at the best of times.

If it's a niche society that relates to some form of the University then getting some academics on board can really help.

Edit: just read the post from 2009. The main problem with "the right way" is that the committee which approves new societies doesn't schedule regular meetings and you really have to press for them to actually sit down and have a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

It's quite a complicated process and they only started allowing new societies again this year as far as I know. Best starting point would be Richard Butler or Eoghan Murphy who is the chair of the societies council. I'd go to Murphy as Butler can be a very difficult man to get a meeting with at the best of times.

If it's a niche society that relates to some form of the University then getting some academics on board can really help.

Edit: just read the post from 2009. The main problem with "the right way" is that the committee which approves new societies doesn't schedule regular meetings and you really have to press for them to actually sit down and have a meeting.

Thanks for that. I'll get all my ducks in a row before emailing him with the plan.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

C'mon, you gotta tell us what it is!! Being able to point to an equivalent in, for instance, Trinity might strengthen your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

The Harry Potter Society recently was recognised by UCD. I can ask some of the people involved in setting that up if I can pass on their contact info if you'd like to ask them how they went about it?

I'd imagine the society recognition committee will not meet again this year as they met but you will probably have to put in a year of work proving you have a functioning society before they'd consider you anyhow.

Eoghan Murphy is definitely the man to go to first. I'm involved in a small society this year and he has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

wait there is a hp society. how do I join

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

hdowney wrote: »
    wait there is a hp society. how do I join

Sorry my bad they've been recognised but they aren't 100% up and running but I imagine they will probably have a big launch so keep an eye out on Facebook and stuff.The way they are going they will be ready to go for next semester so they will be in astra hall for refreshers day which is week 2 second semester.

Facebook group is here. I've never been a big HP fan so have not joined but I'm sure they will reveal all there:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCD.Harry.Potter.Soc.unofficial

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

C'mon, you gotta tell us what it is!! Being able to point to an equivalent in, for instance, Trinity might strengthen your application.

I was thinking of an aviation society. Introducing people to flying and getting group discounts on flying time (since it is crazy expensive to build hours). The whole thing kind of rests on getting a group deal from a flight school or it will just be too expensive to justify.

What do you guys think? Worth trying for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I was thinking of an aviation society. Introducing people to flying and getting group discounts on flying time (since it is crazy expensive to build hours). The whole thing kind of rests on getting a group deal from a flight school or it will just be too expensive to justify.

What do you guys think? Worth trying for?

Think you may struggle to get enough to participate because there's still likely to be a significant financial cost. Bit of a trek out to an airfield too. But definitely go for it if you're passionate about it. UL has a skydiving club and some UK unis, such as Oxford, have gliding clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Insurance will be a major major issue with that society also. I doubt it would fall under the same insurance scheme as an ordinary sport or society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

kilrush wrote: »
    The Harry Potter Society

That actually makes me feel quite sick as we campaigned bitterly for paintball and we were, excuse the pun, shot down repetitively. The major excuse being 'you can't do it on campus' and when we pointed out the, for example, Canoe and Sailing club, we just got blank faces. We had a number of paintball fields behind us and Paintball as actually doing really well in Ireland at the time [Still is to be fair]

Best of luck OP, hope it works out for you but be prepared for a long road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement