Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piratebay to be blocked in Ireland within 30 days

• 12-06-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭

So looks like piratebay is about to blocked after the music firms have secured their order.

All seems very pointless what with alternate sites and proxys :confused:

EDIT: Also being discussed here
    <SNIP>

MOD WARNING: Guys, please remember that it is against the charter and boards.ie rules to post links to warez sites. Any links posted will result in a ban. I've already removed three links from this thread. Please also do not post workarounds for ISP restrictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just as I was starting to use it more again after the demise of Rapidshare!

I am assuming/hoping they will appeal this and drag it out? Seriously this is BS.. The Internet is just going to be controlled by the nanny state.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Similar blocking has already been defeated in other countries that they tried this in. Its really a rather pointless exercise imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Can the ISPs appeal this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Urquell wrote: »
    Can the ISPs appeal this ?

Yes, and most likely will, going from similar cases in the past.

EDIT:

Or not...
    Sources in the local Irish telecoms industry say the ISPs are unlikely to appeal the High Court's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Oh no, not the pirate bay. I cannot remember the last time I actually visited that site. Silly record labels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Completely pointless, you'd swear it was the only site that people download from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Does the court order not apply to a load of file sharing sites and also says even if they change their name they will be blocked?

I think they are using the Pirate Bay as an example to block a load of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just as I was starting to use it more again after the demise of Rapidshare!

I am assuming/hoping they will appeal this and drag it out? Seriously this is BS.. The Internet is just going to be controlled by the nanny state.:(

You should complain to someone about how your rights are being infringed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

The article refers to pirate bay sites, might they be blocking more than just the pirate bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No mention of Sky?

• Advertisement

No, I don't think they're ignorant or stupid enough to label all torrent sites as pirate bay sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Banning Pirate Bay is just to set a precedent. Once they ban that one they'll figure out a way to ban the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

This is all about bending over for the media companies. Recent EU investigations have concluded that pirating actually increased sales. But there is NO ONE in the High Court standing up for ordinary people. There is no lobbying group pounding on the walls of the Minister's door on behalf of ordinary people. This is about manipulating the la on behalf of the Media mega corporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Banning Pirate Bay is just to set a precedent. Once they ban that one they'll figure out a way to ban the others.

Yeah and 10 seconds later a new one will pop up.

Will they be banning sites on a daily basis? Hourly even?

Complete pointless to try this and impossible to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I rarely ever use TPB or similar, but I don't like Media companies blocking sites that have legitimate uses. It's the first step towards total internet censorship and we'll end up with an internet service like that in China.

As a response, I won't be going to the cinema any more. I go quite often, but I refuse to support companies that want to censor what internet sites I can visit/use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Piliger wrote: »
    This is all about bending over for the media companies. Recent EU investigations have concluded that pirating actually increased sales. But there is NO ONE in the High Court standing up for ordinary people. There is no lobbying group pounding on the walls of the Minister's door on behalf of ordinary people. This is about manipulating the la on behalf of the Media mega corporates.

not strictly true Digital Rights Ireland were refused permission to appear as Amicus curiae (to assist the courts on various points of law) before the courts.

A real FU from the courts...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good thing they've banned the most useless of the torrent sites. Shows how behind the times they are even on this issue that they're banning a website most people stopped using years ago.

AdamD wrote: »
    Good thing they've banned the most useless of the torrent sites. Shows how behind the times they are even on this issue that they're banning a website most people stopped using years ago.

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Prodigious wrote: »
    This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time.

How exactly? There are far far better websites out there than TPB.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah and 10 seconds later a new one will pop up.

Will they be banning sites on a daily basis? Hourly even?

Complete pointless to try this and impossible to police.

the problem is some gob****e might think it "smart" to setup a white list system... anything not in that list needs to be approved... all i can say is there will be more people using VPN servers now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i can everything moving to the dark internet soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

irishgeo wrote: »
    i can everything moving to the dark internet soon.

thats what BitTorrent Sync is for, right?! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

such as? TPB is as good as any imo

The most useless of all torrent sites? It's the most popular site and it's torrents are the most well seeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Behind the times who are? The Courts? The didnt ban TPB willy nilly, the companies asked the courts to ban it so saying they are behind the times makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is disgraceful and disregards anyone who might use the site to download or share legitimate software. I hope UPC fight it. Still it's just one site and there are ways around it.

That said, usenet is now where I get all my sweet, sweet Linux ISOs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Elessar wrote: »
    This is disgraceful and disregards anyone who might use the site to download or share legitimate software. I hope UPC fight it. Still it's just one site and there are ways around it.

That said, usenet is now where I get all my sweet, sweet Linux ISOs ;)

Usenet been around longer than torrents and it's not being blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

NinjaK wrote: »
    such as? TPB is as good as any imo
    Any private torrent site. Torrents from TPB are slow. Some people only use it to check the top 100 and then go back to their private torrent site and download

Advertisement