Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeology on tv

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Reoil wrote: »
    More importantly, it had Prof. Alice Roberts. <3

Hmmm. Dunno. Maybe a bit too much of a tv expert on everything?
    She started as an out and out, hands on osteoarchaeologist but now seems to present such a broad range of programmes on such a broad range of subjects that you'd wonder where her heart lies.
    Bet you wish you knew too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

slowburner wrote: »
    She started as an out and out, hands on osteoarchaeologist but now seems to present such a broad range of programmes on such a broad range of subjects that you'd wonder where her heart lies.

It's so tempting to make a witty comment but il refrain...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Maudi wrote: »
    It's so tempting to make a witty comment but il refrain...

On reflection, the opportunities are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

slowburner wrote: »

Actually, no, she started out in medical sciences qualifying as a physician and as an anatomist. She then completed a PhD in paleopathology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Roberts

Ancient Voices. A series of short films exploring prehistoric British monuments and places. Presented by Raksha Dave (TT fame).
    BBC 2 next Thursday at 04.00 (!!) according to this.

• Advertisement

Tracing the Past Of Mankind's Progress is due to air in 2016.
    Prof. Bill Schindler delivered the keynote address at the recent EXARCH conference in UCD.

http://www.washcoll.edu/live/news/7330-tracing-the-path-of-mankinds-progress

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

This guy builds a tiled roof house with a few stone tools..... bushcraft level - master :-)

It quite vividly brings to life the way our stone age ancestors (may have) worked, though not sure if they built tiled houses?

14mins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Loving the underbed heating. :) Very cool set of skills. Though I'd say the roof would be leaky. You could see a fair bit of daylight, maybe he filled that in later? Thatch would be easier and faster, though maybe suitable thatching material wasn't in the area? Sounds like Australia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Saturday 30th of September. Channel 4.
    7.55 pm First Humans: cave discovery.
    9.00 pm Two Million Year Old Boy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see tim taylor, the producer who is responsible for time team, is relaunching it; two sites expected to be dug based on donations on patreon.
    it's a different landscape for popular archaeology programs now though; i saw one recently fronted by hugh dennis, and 'dig for britain' is also a sporadic visitor to the screen.
    from the opening footage, i see a lot of the old faces are there. missing phil harding and tony robinson, which is a pity. phil harding is a god amongst men.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Major pity about Phil alright. Not so pushed about Tony tbh. Always found him a bit take or leave him.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i know a few people who didn't like him, but i did. he had the job of being the proxy for the audience, asking the archaeologists to justify their claims, especially francis pryor with the classic 'it must be ritual' line.
    i was reading that how robinson got the job was he'd signed up for an evening course being given by mick aston, who had already been involved in previous television projects (check out 'time signs', which is on youtube - a valley was being flooded by a dam project, so after all the inhabitants were moved out, the archaeologists moved in, and they made a TV series about it. harding also features)

of all of them, it was stewart ainsworth's skill which i found amazing, they'd all be staring into holes or at geophys plots, and he'd hop on his bike and come back a day or two later having explained the whole landscape with some maps and a trained eye. the landscape whisperer, if you will.

+1000 on Stewart. I loved how he would do that. :D "the landscape whisperer" is a very good description of the chap. Mick Aston was a sad loss indeed. Lovely man by all accounts. Including from someone I know who worked with him. She couldn't stop herself from praising him on a few levels, as a bloke and as a scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Should there not be a Time Team specific thread in the Archaeology forum? It feels a bit strange posting about the Time team in this thread?

Anyway... if anyone wants to watch series 1 through to 11 they are still free to watch on Channel 4's on demand service. I've had no problem watching them from Ireland but you do need to sign up. https://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team/on-demand/

Getting even further off topic I've never liked Tony ever since I see he sold out and did London Mint adds. London Mint seem is just as bad as our Dublin Mint.

Wake me up when it's all over.

whoops, i mistakenly thought this was a general discussion thread. happy for it to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

On a related note, the Channel Four App has all the old episodes, plus its precursor with a younger Mick Aston called Timesigns..

'digging for britain' is nearing the end of its run on BBC2 (the fifth of six episodes just aired, but i think the repeats for 4, 5 and 6 are at the weekend).

interesting that one of the sites featured on today's program was excavated because word got out it had been found in a survey, and they were worried that nighthawkers would destroy the archaeology.

Advertisement