Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3day<35min10km2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Donelson wrote: »
    Heading for the pool tomorrow, planning a lss, going to leave the watch at home, as I don't want to upset myself :).
    Plan for the weekend are two spins on the bike, one to waterford city and one up mount leinster, please please please be sunny :)

This plan was a little (a lot) too ambition, going to head out the n25 for a bit of a tt :). then into town for a bit of shopping and then home for the long run session for week 9!
    Oh I'm having an omelette with cheese for breakfast!

4:17/km for 16km on the button, hr was 167 which is a bit higher than I'd like for an easy run. looking back at my gamin data, I was training christmass day, I'd forgot about that!

Rosslare 10km
    Monday 9th April 2012

Wexford 1/2 Marathon & 10km
    Sunday 22th April 2012

Ballycarney Charity 10K
    Saturday, 28 April 2012

Waterford Adventure Race
    19 May 2012

Carrauntoohil
    Sunday 3 June, 2012

Strawberry Half Marathon, 5 mile race and 15k walk
    Sunday, 24 June 2012

Curracloe Mile Charity Swim 2012
    July 2012?

Rosslare Pikeman Triathlon
    Saturday 7th July 2012 -
    I'm not at all sure if I can do this, but sure I'll give a go :P

Mount Leinster
    Sunday 8th July 2012

Kilmore 10km Road Race
    September 2012

Another short tempo 5km tonight, missed target by 2sec/km.
    Total session 11.9km in 53mins flat.

2x5km on the bike, 4x250m @ 4:45 freestyle, lots of perceived effort, breathing very hard after each swim rep. Struggling to breath during swim, not getting any air in, feels like my lungs are forgetting to inhale.

• Advertisement

2x5km on the bike, 2hr of football, skills and about an hour long match.

Tomorrow is interval day, I'm planning on doing them first thing in the morning, and I'm going off plan with 4x800m at a medium fast pace, but I'll do them as slowly ai have too to get them done.
    morning runs = stiff, hungry, sluggish and cranky.

4 x800+ m with a 3km jog either side, in town on the bike with swimming gear, I'll try to make it over for a few lengths before I head home. Total on the bike today will be 20km.

II
    swim was 4 x250m free @ 4:30ish

~ 50km solar powered on the bike today, it all felt good today :):)
    A few easy lifts planed for this evening in front of the tv.

Monday
    Short tempo 5Km@3:55, session total 11:35km in 50:26,
    Comment: comfortable at 3:55 except for hills,
    Conditions: perfect.
    Other: 2km on the bike.

Tuesday
    90Min MMA
    Others: 2km on the bike. (they all count :))

Wednesday
    Planned: 6x800 @2:47, RI 90sec
    Actual: 4x800m,
    Comment: failed on all four attempts, session total about 10km, had to use "public" toilet. Lb and r. Pacing was hard but achievable.
    Conditions: perfect
    Others: 2km on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

what does short tempo mean? *noob*

• Advertisement

Hi Rossin,

I'm following this plan
    http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/10K%20Training%20Program-metric.pdf
    There are a couple of people here using it at the moment, Dory Dory and donothoptopop to mention two.

Short tempo is faster than your Long Slow Run (lsr) but slower than your intervals.

Key features of the short tempo (my 2c)
    1) Fast but not all out,
    2) You should hold a steady pace through out,
    3) Not run so hard that you couldn't do it two days in a row.
    4) Be at a pace you feel you could run an extra few km's at if you had to.

*WARNING* this is my first time following a plan, so this could be complete rubbish :P

ah okay thanks, I may look into one in a few weeks all going well

5Km @ 3:55...you're doing pretty well so, right?

Rossin wrote: »
    ah okay mi thanks, I may look into one few weeks all going well

5Km @ 3:55...you're doing pretty well so, right?

Yah! training has being going well except for the tummy trouble, I've a race in two weeks which should give me some good feed back, I'll be running it at 3:55 for ten and see how I get on.

Re: the plan it may say first in the title but I definitely found challenging from the very start.

PS: keep your log up dated and you'll get some great advice from the faster runners.

Thursday,
    90Mins MMA

Others: 2km on the bike.

Friday
    90 min of football,
    Comment: light session

Others: 5km on the bike

Saturday,
    15Min wu, 3x (1200m@4min/km, 100m@5min/km, 400m@3:48min/km, 100m@5min/km) 20min wd.
    Comment: pacing for 100m too slow, could have gone faster for 1200m and 400m. I am bloody happy :):)
    Conditions: dry and chilly,
    session weight change. 1.1kg

Others: 4km on the bike.

Wednesday
    45mins of mixed cardio at the gym.
    Comment: chills since sunday, blocked nose. generally feeling run down.

Saturday
    5Km jog, 5km walk.
    Comment: very difficult,

Race plan.
    I WILL race well on monday, target is modest and achievable 40min.
    My plan is simple run 5x4min/km, and then see how I feel, if I'm feeling off I'll stick with this place.

Just some general ramblings, about the furman plan that I attempted.

The good,
    I definitely trained harder with the plan than without.
    The plan does give an excellent mix of training.
    The plan is accurate on pacings.
    The plan is demanding

The bad
    There is no target race time for the 10 km program.
    this plan is rigid, if you miss a session there if no room to make it up.
    There are no easy runs!
    To get the best out of this plan, you need to be measured in your cross training.
    The plan demands some tough long intervals, which are tough for a first timer.

The ugly
    I only completed about half this plan
    I've put on a lot of weight on this plan!

From here
    I'm taking a week off, then back to the plan or at least a modified plan.
    I'm swapping out interval for fartlek,
    I am going back to training by feel, so if I feel like a busted couch, then I won't be training hard, plan or no plan.

Is there a reason why you're not aiming for.sub 40 seen as you seem well able?

Rossin wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you're not aiming for.sub 40 seen as you seem well able?

I'm caution! I haven't run the distance in anger since last september, and I was in a lot better shape then. I'd prefer to aim low and run a negative spilt.
    That and I always get a bout of self doubt before any big race, sound ridiculous but if they told me the race was canceled I'd be secretly very happy! !

I am at the race, and the nerves have definitely kicked in!

Some numbers from my fancy lidl weighing scales this morning.
    Weight 69.7km
    BF: 23.3% fatso!
    LBM 42.9%

• Advertisement

good luck!

Race report.
    Gamin called it at 40:06, but also called it short, so looking at the trace I pulled up closer to 39. So I'll have to wait on am official time.
    got out of the car and had to laugh as ever niggle I ever had seemed to reappear, at least in my head!
    the race start was tight and I'd deliberately started at the back to keep a check on the pace, so I plowed threw the course for the first 1km.
    found a big bunch of guys running a little fast than my planned place, I stuck with these guys for the first 5km as I wanted company in the wind.
    On the start of the second 5km the group started to disperse, so I held my pace and stated to pull way slowly, from here to the finish the pace was steady bar the hills near the start_finish. I picked of a handful of guys and one girl before the finish.

Chip time 39:14

training notes,
    short tempo is very close to race pace,
    Plan builds good stamina and my pacing driffed very little during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Did you race it all out Donelson?

My honest opinion is that if someone wants to get anywhere near 35 mins, it's going to take a lot of work. You'd be well able, but I'd be looking at far more running (at least 6 days per week) and a traditional approach (tempos, intervals, mileage). 35 mins is a serious time and I really don't see any shortcuts.

Some days you will not feel good but if you want to get to 5:42 pace for 6.2 miles (that's 35:30) you are going to have to suck it up and get stuck in to the session, tired or not.

I don't mean to be negative, just calling it as I see it because we have similar goal times. Give a few Daniels sessions a try, they will feel much easier than the FIRST stuff I reckon.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Did you race it all out Donelson?

My honest opinion is that if someone wants to get anywhere near 35 mins, it's going to take a lot of work. You'd be well able, but I'd be looking at far more running (at least 6 days per week) and a traditional approach (tempos, intervals, mileage). 35 mins is a serious time and I really don't see any shortcuts.

Some days you will not feel good but if you want to get to 5:42 pace for 6.2 miles (that's 35:30) you are going to have to suck it up and get stuck in to the session, tired or not.

I don't mean to be negative, just calling it as I see it because we have similar goal times. Give a few Daniels sessions a try, they will feel much easier than the FIRST stuff I reckon.

thanks for the advice cwgatling, I'd be lying if I said I was thinking something similar myself. I reckon it's about a 1000:1 chance of me getting to 35mins this year.
    But I always have that annoying quote from henry ford in my head........ Whether people believe they can or cannot do something they are invariable proven right.....or something to that effect.

The race today was tough, but the heart rate trace reckons there is more to give, and I definitely don't feel beaten up like after my first 10km, so maybe with some more race practice I'll get a little faster.

Just my initial thoughts on training, if I'm to have any hope of getting even near 35min my next step has to take my time down to 37:00, I do think I can do this. But I'll stop and think for a bit before I jump back in.

So since my last updste i've done a good bit of cycling (700+km) some swimming (~5km). 2 football session and 2 MMA's and one weak training run.

Primary focus for the next month is going to be weight loss. with a target of 3kg and or 5% BF. This is not very exciting but it needs to be done. What will i do to achieve this, the veg and meat diet, simple as that. I'll weiigh twice a week. (yes this log is going to be even more boring :p).

Train harder and stop making excuses. I think I've been taking it a bit too easy, "ah sure I'll be trainging again tomorrow just doesn't cut the mustard"
    anyway, enough said, the figures will hopefully do the talking.

Finally my intermediate goal is to run a 37:00 10km. in at most 12 weeks time.

69.4kg, 23%BF

21.9% heading in the right direction :), the fruit is back. :o

I'm working long hours this week :(, so nothing much to report, 10km run, and 1400m swim, football tomorrow.

21.6% this morning, happy to still be going down.

trained well over the weekend with short intense 1 hour sessions.

Heading out today night to do wk1 #2 in an eye waterly fast time 3:42/km :o, I'll be back to edit this later.

Wednesday will be my long tempo at 4:01/km so I'll definitely be feeling the squezze this time around.

***** This was too ambitions, but not crazy, I'll leave my times where they are and hopefully over the next month or so I'll pull training back to the plan.

I'm dreading the scales in the morning, less than 21.5% I'm happy, more and it will be try harder :(.
    went running with a buddy tonight so the plan disappeared in the first few km. next run will be the qusi-internals on friday.
    I wish this weather would clear up so I can start cycling to work again.

21.6% not a bad as I thought, but more work required, I'll push on over the weekend and try and get it down to 21.

Managed to dislocate a couple of fingers during the week, freak accident, I thought they where just sprained until the doc's popped them back in.
    Anyhoo heading along to a local 10Km tomorrow, using it as a training run (this is just an excuse, for not running faster :) )

67.7kg on the scales this morning. I'm not feeling the love this morning, so I'm pacing this for a 39:00min run.

Wasn't to be, went through the 5km at 19:10 and then blow up on the hills on the way home :(

• Advertisement

Blew up as in gave up or stopped running fast for the rest?

Advertisement