Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query on stone underground drain

Options
  • 13-07-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was in Roscommon this weekend working with a friend in the back garden of an old cottage. We were digging shallow foundations and hit a large flagstone, we prised it up and discovered there was a stone drainage channel underneath. I attached a photo of the inside, I'm really curious as to when it could have been built or what era it's from, would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Hi guys,

I was in Roscommon this weekend working with a friend in the back garden of an old cottage. We were digging shallow foundations and hit a large flagstone, we prised it up and discovered there was a stone drainage channel underneath. I attached a photo of the inside, I'm really curious as to when it could have been built or what era it's from, would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

It looks very like a Souterrain to me. Very cool find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is there a metal box in there anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Possible culvert? Rough location would help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hi guys,

Thanks.
    Contemporary with the house, in all probability.
    Drains like this were constructed until very recently, and still are when suitable stone is freely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

robindch wrote: »
    Is there a metal box in there anywhere?

Robindch, why should there be? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Reader1937 wrote: »
    Possible culvert? Rough location would help.

Hi Reader1937, The cottage is at least 250 years old and is just outside Elphin village.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Going by the photo it looks like a box drain, as stated earlier it is probably contemporary with the house or maybe a little later in date.

If you get a chance OP you might give us a rough idea of the dimensions on the interior of the drain.

Going by the photo it looks like a box drain, as stated earlier it is probably contemporary with the house or maybe a little later in date.

If you get a chance OP you might give us a rough idea of the dimensions on the interior of the drain.

Hi Arsemageddon, I should be down there again this weekend, I'll get you the domensions. Many thanks.

slowburner wrote: »
    Contemporary with the house, in all probability.
    Drains like this were constructed until very recently, and still are when suitable stone is freely available.

I didn't realise open drains like that were built. I would have assumed (without much knowledge on historic drain design) building such an open tunnel would add unnecessary complication. What sort of dimensions or features are diagnostic of this type?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

robp wrote: »
    I didn't realise open drains like that were built. I would have assumed (without much knowledge on historic drain design) building such an open tunnel would add unnecessary complication. What sort of dimensions or features are diagnostic of this type?
    I don't think the dimensions are diagnostic of anything in particular, or that there are standard dimensions. It largely depends on the width of stones/slabs available to span the channel.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    I don't think the dimensions are diagnostic of anything in particular, or that there are standard dimensions. It largely depends on the width of stones/slabs available to span the channel.

But I guess a drain has an upper limit in how wide and tall it is is likely to be. While a souterrain must be large enough for one person to squeeze through and can be larger.

Hi Arsemageddon, I should be down there again this weekend, I'll get you the domensions. Many thanks.

Hi Arsemageddon,

I measured the drain over the weekend, it's approximately w 50cm x h 30cm.It doesn't seem like a souterrain (?) and as previously suggested is probably a drain. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Blu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Hi Arsemageddon,

I measured the drain over the weekend, it's approximately w 50cm x h 30cm.It doesn't seem like a souterrain (?) and as previously suggested is probably a drain. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Blu

I'd say it's a drain alright. Drains of that type are common enough in towns and around 19th century buildings.

Advertisement