Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Direct to Addis Ababa: Any Takers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's an interesting city and country..but more to the point, being ET'S hub you also have significant connection opportunities to their other destinations.

The DUB - LAX link would also be a welcome return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Sound like a winning move for Ethiopian - My completely uninformed and possibly incorrect analysis:

Currently TK is doing good business on routes to Africa via Istanbul. Considering gegraphical location of ADD and the sizeable African migrant population of Dublin, they should be able to take some of that business.

The LAX connection would be an added bonus for both them and Dublin.

It would be a very price conscious market so it will depend on whether they can compete with TK on price.

Admittedly I don't know a huge deal about it, the above would be my personal opinion.

I'd definitely use it for a trip to Ethiopia though, always wanted to visit that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ethiopian are one of the strongest airlines in Africa and would offer good connectivity from Addis onwards.

These plans were first made public last January, rather than recently.

It's just becoming more likely to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

It would be great to see a return of a DUB-LAX Service and if they use the B787 it would be even better.

The question is, would the US authorities allow the transit passengers to use Immigration/Customs facilities? Most Europeans are eligible to travel to the US on Visa Waiver programs whereas passengers originating in Ethiopia or further East are generally not and require more processing time at the border.

Also someone mentioned above this might be attractive to our African migrant population, it certainly would for those from East Africa but since the majority of African migrants in Ireland appear to be from Nigeria it would probably still be quicker for them to transit through LHR, AMS, CDG..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The US would be more than delighted to have the processing completed before the plane touches their soil ;)

A lot would some depend on the frequency of service/number of passengers too.

• Advertisement

dm09 wrote: »
    Also someone mentioned above this might be attractive to our African migrant population, it certainly would for those from East Africa but since the majority of African migrants in Ireland appear to be from Nigeria it would probably still be quicker for them to transit through LHR, AMS, CDG..

There's quite a few people from East Africa here too (Sudan, Somalia, Kenya, etc). Last time I flew TK IST/DUB (2 years ago) there were tons of Sudanese people on it (and other African people which I'm not sure where they were from).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Smart move by Ethiopian. Let Aer Lingus do all the heavy lifting in terms of marketing & building Dublin up as an alternative transatlantic hub, and then tap into that market for the DUB-LAX route before anyone else does.

Interesting how close Dublin is to great circle route between ADD and LAX:

direct: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ADD-LAX
    via dub: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ADD-DUB-LAX

difference of laround 100mi.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Ethiopian Airlines has radically transformed itself, and is now officially the most profitable airline in Africa, and is ranked 18th most profitable airline in the world. That is some achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Ethiopia also has one of the fastest growing populations in the world. My friend has been to Addis Ababa a few times on business and he says the affluence around the place is surprisingly high, even higher than you see reported. A bit like Dubai ten years ago is how he described it. Considering they are one of the first 787 operators and will also be one of the early A350 operators they are definitely going the right way of becoming a major airline. Better chance of seeing their A350 at DUB before an EI one I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Ethiopia also has one of the fastest growing populations in the world. My friend has been to Addis Ababa a few times on business and he says the affluence around the place is surprisingly high, even higher than you see reported. A bit like Dubai ten years ago is how he described it. Considering they are one of the first 787 operators and will also be one of the early A350 operators they are definitely going the right way of becoming a major airline. Better chance of seeing their A350 at DUB before an EI one I would think.

I agree with you there, I'm not even sure if we will ever see an A350 in EI colours, especially since the A330NEO has been launched! I think EI will convert their A350 order into that.

Yes, Ethiopian are performing very strongly, and now operate one of the most modern fleets in Africa.
    They recently took delivery of some Boeing 777-300ER's (leased from GECAS).

I would definitely fly with them anyway.
    Has your friend flown them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

ohigg84 wrote: »
    I agree with you there, I'm not even sure if we will ever see an A350 in EI colours, especially since the A330NEO has been launched! I think EI will convert their A350 order into that.

Yes, Ethiopian are performing very strongly, and now operate one of the most modern fleets in Africa.
    They recently took delivery of some Boeing 777-300ER's (leased from GECAS).

I would definitely fly with them anyway.
    Has your friend flown them?

No he flies with Turkish usually as they have the best connection from NCE and Ethiopia don't have a direct flight here. Turkish probably have the best connection from DUB too at the moment though.

I would definitely fly with Ethiopian as well though, I will probably use them when it comes to my debut 787 flight.

Advertisement