Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where have all the old boardsies gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I suppose most people here don't remember face kicker, thaedydal, being banned for mentioning a certain shakesphere play. I think when daft bought a stake, the admins lost power to do random things.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Have you tried Oulwans 'n ' Oulfellas, thats where we go to to spend the twilight years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I originally joined in 2004 but lost that account during the Hacking of 2010.

I'd say a lot of other posters have simply opened up new accounts, probably for some fresh anonymity. It always worries me the amount of people who are happy to put up not only photos of themselves but a lot of personal, identifying information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Alien abduction?

Wimmin?

Berties fault?

Atari Jaguar?

Quake rehab?

Never heard of any of them boardsies. Thought I would have know at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

too old for this ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm an oldie, I reckon I post regularly - yet my post count is pitiful compared to others! I often wondered if they spent every waking moment on their PC's, but apparently not. They browse far more forums leaving posts as they go along, while I only browse 5.

Sugar Free wrote: »

I'd say a lot of other posters have simply opened up new accounts, probably for some fresh anonymity. It always worries me the amount of people who are happy to put up not only photos of themselves but a lot of personal, identifying information.

Same here. I recognised one girl from photos, and sometimes see personal stuff she puts up about herself that I'm sure she rather I didn't know! I'd rather not know, so avoid reading her posts now but she should be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Things change, people get bored, life moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

On a space exploration to Mars. Back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Aninomity.

Don't want people to figure out who I am and link me to my old user name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

tempura wrote: »
    Have you tried Oulwans 'n ' Oulfellas, thats where we go to to spend the twilight years.
    I ended up over there but I escaped over the wall...he he he

When I first joined Boards back in 07 ,I would post a lot in many threads on most days, hence the fairly high post count but now to avoid the same ol same thread titles and save precious time , I tend to just browse a bit .

Of course newbies will find many threads of interest of which are not short in supply .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

out with the old in with the new

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm still not allowed mention MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Used to play Quake with a lot of the first members of boards. Didn't become a member of boards at the time. Often wonder what happened to some of the posters who just stopped posting. Particularly the ones who didn't close their account.

I'm sure some of them have died, and their anonymous online personality went with them. A bit of a depressing thought :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

People shouldn't be allowed just leave, they should be hunted down and made explain why ????????

Liam byrne,Wolfe Tone and some others just got up and left,It shouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

realies wrote: »
    People shouldn't be allowed just leave, they should be hunted down and made explain why ????????

Liam byrne,Wolfe Tone and some others just got up and left,It shouldn't be allowed.

:rolleyes::D:);):rolleyes::p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

realies wrote: »
    Didn't you know ...'' you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave ''

/ whiney guitar solo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

They probably have a private forum with a pre 2009 join date stipulation, and they sit around and laugh at the n00bs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

So many names and faces gone (yes some of them had faces), yet there are still some of us around with an ancient join date.

People change, new pastures await etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Where have all the 1999-2005 joiners gone?

They have all gone here...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Banned account :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Crap, is 2008 now the barrier between old and new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I suppose most people here don't remember face kicker, thaedydal, being banned for mentioning a certain shakesphere play. I think when daft bought a stake, the admins lost power to do random things.
    What happened to Thaeds, I remember she changed her username but then disappeared off the radar!

And Tallaght01, Karl Hungus, they were mods now with closed accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Crap, is 2008 now the barrier between old and new?

Only when upgrading your car.

A lot of the old stagers are frequenting their private forums, it keeps them away from the riff raff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think the farther you go back the more it was nerds who did most of the posting.

Now that everyone is online all the time it's those who are the most idle, in or out of work, who do the most posting, so the percentage of absolute retards on boards has rocketed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I remember when this was all fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hickorydock

Some have got fed up, hate being disagreed with, only concerned with their own or like minded opinion, got in a sulk and stormed off, some take things too seriously and can't forgive - they have issues! Some have new ids. Some were banned, insulted and offended by someone on the thread. Some may dislike the moderator and have issues with them. These reasons come to mind. Oh and in case you are wondering which category I fit into it is the one where I was ignored on the thread. Did I mention that one at all!!!!!!!!!! Nothing worse than not being taken seriously. Believe me. Becoming invisible is not much fun on boards hence the name change. Oh another reason why people disappear
    They might have ..... well dare I say it .... died. Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

As someone who lurks the prison forum a little I noticed quite a few older members getting banned over the past year.

Boards started perma banning people who had a lot of infractions and a lot of the older members who had picked up infractions and temp bans over the years got the boot.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056423660
    ZAPH wrote:
    We used to be more tolerant towards serial offenders, but tbh all that happened was that those people just kept acting the dick and the mods got more and more pissed off having to deal with them. So we've lowered our tolerance a bit and we no longer put up with the rubbish that comes from people with records as bad as yours. It's made the mods lives a lot easier, and by extension the admins lives too, while allowing regular posters the opportunity to enjoy Boards without having to deal with persistent trolls and the like. Everyone's a winner really.

Example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056455070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I just read those two links there from Thrill and that's heavy sh1t to say the least.

I have a few bans and infractions over the years myself but if that link is anything to go by I better get my sponge-brain together. I will say though after all the few bans and infractions over the years you do easily get the jist and it does make you more relaxed and focused other than keep losing the plot all the time because of what might happen (A Ban) so it's beneficial with regards to learning how to conduct yourself on this site, and also know the consequences if not adhered to.

Glad I read those Links as it keeps me in check. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Funny that this thread is asking where all the old boardsies are gone, now all of a sudden they've resurfaced on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Funny, until now i considered myself slightly 'noob'y, but i guess i've been here for ~78% of the time boards has (4071 of 5173 days as of today). Man, i feel old. :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement