Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sabertooth Was Pussy Compared To Big Daddy Lion

Options
  • 09-11-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Although it is much more famous, research has shown that the legendary sabertooth cat (Smilodon fatalis) would have been little match for it's larger (and apparently more aggresive) contemporary, the American cave lion (Panthera leo atrox).
    The researchers report that while male American lions were considerably larger than females, male and female sabertoothed cats were indistinguishable in size. The findings suggest that sabertooths may have been less aggressive than their fellow felines, researchers say.

In species where males fight for mates, bigger, heavier males have a better chance of winning fights, fending off their rivals and gaining access to females. After generations of male-male competition, the males of some species evolve to be much larger than their mates.

So, in summary the male sabertooth cat was a bit of a 'pussy cat', so to speak. I guess it means the depiction in Walking With Beasts, where the male Smilodon was shown as an aggresive alpha male type battling it's rivals for mates, was most likely wrong.
    Full article here.

wb_prehistoric.Par.51083.Image.225.182.1.gif
    Size comparison between sabertooth (left) and cave lion (right).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Interesting article.

I saw Hercules the Liger at Jungle Island in Florida a few years back, and he was bloody huge. The American Lion was meant to be comparable in size to a Liger, so they must have been a really formidable feline.

It is also interesting, to me, that the Lion would have most likely shared it's habit with another group hunter, th Dire wolf, and both of them would have had to contend with the massive Short Face Bear, which lived in the same areas and is seen as being more carnivore than omnivore.

There must have been some immense face offs over the carcasses of downed prey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kess73 wrote: »
    Interesting article.

I saw Hercules the Liger at Jungle Island in Florida a few years back, and he was bloody huge. The American Lion was meant to be comparable in size to a Liger, so they must have been a really formidable feline.

It is also interesting, to me, that the Lion would have most likely shared it's habit with another group hunter, th Dire wolf, and both of them would have had to contend with the massive Short Face Bear, which lived in the same areas and is seen as being more carnivore than omnivore.

Just went looking after this post, I had no idea what size Ligers could get to. :eek:

page7_blog_entry90_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just went looking after this post, I had no idea what size Ligers could get to. :eek:

page7_blog_entry90_7.jpg

That's the exact Liger I was talking about. That is Hercules from Florida. He is a massive and majestic animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kess73 wrote: »

Jurassic Fight Club dedicated an episode to the short faced bear versus the 'mega lion'.

There were also cheetahs and camels in ice age North America. Not to mention the odd terror bird!

re: the liger;
    It's a weird genetic defect. When lions and tigers cross breed the gene which causes growth to stop at maturity doesn't transfer properly, meaning tehy grow for pretty much their entire life.

Advertisement