Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Eddie B wrote: »
    Is there any scientific evidence that this is caused by bad handling? Only my opinion, but I don't believe this could be caused by bad handling.

Scientific evidence :confused: I'm just saying I've seen the exact same type of damage hundreds of times caused by bad handling but on trout. I've no idea if the same can happen a pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Auldloon wrote: »
    Scientific evidence :confused: I'm just saying I've seen the exact same type of damage hundreds of times caused by bad handling but on trout. I've no idea if the same can happen a pike.

Hundreds of times? Really.. I'm not off the opinion it was bad handling to be honest but I dont know, it's not even a venue that sees many rods at all. It's just like a disease of an old fish or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Auldloon wrote: »
    I've often seen similar on trout from bad handling like you say, high water temperatures also exasperated the problem. If they make it til winter and cold water mostly they survive it.

Is there any scientific evidence that this is caused by bad handling? Only my opinion, but I don't believe this could be caused by bad handling.
    I can recommend some fish health textbooks for you if you'd like, much better than opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What weight was she? Looks big from the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I can recommend some fish health textbooks for you if you'd like, much better than opinion.

Would you mind taking a snap of the appropriate information from the textbooks, and post them up here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from such information. It would be much appreciated of course.

This is what I like about this place. Members go out of their way to help others. Freely sharing knowledge and information without any thoughts of self praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Would you mind taking a snap of the appropriate information from the textbooks, and post them up here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from such information. It would be much appreciated of course.

This is what I like about this place. Members go out of their way to help others. Freely sharing knowledge and information without any thoughts of self praise.
    I won't be doing that no, I'm not interested in praise thanks.
    Have a look at saprolegnia and columnaris infections on goggle, they are both secondary infections caused when the slime is removed and the skin is damaged, easily caused on a bank or a boat, it doesn't have to be gravel.

So you don't agree with me or the other posters, that's ok. What do you think may be the cause? If you have a better explanation then I'm willing to listen and change my mind if it's more plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I won't be doing that no, I'm not interested in praise thanks.
    Have a look at saprolegnia and columnaris infections on goggle, they are both secondary infections caused when the slime is removed and the skin is damaged, easily caused on a bank or a boat, it doesn't have to be gravel.

So you don't agree with me or the other posters, that's ok. What do you think may be the cause? If you have a better explanation then I'm willing to listen and change my mind if it's more plausible.

I just don't believe it's always caused by bad handling. Yes, it has its part to play, but a major part, im not convinced. Disease most certainly causes the unsightly red/pink colouring, and spots, nd damaged, sick, and old fish must be more vulnerable. But their must be manylon factors which cause this. Water quality for instance.

Personally, I have only seen such a sight on the river Shannon. Especially around the old sewage works outlet.

I've been to a couple of trout fisheries where they have a pond for kids. A lot of the kids that go to these fisheries are beginners. I cant recall the amount of fish that end up being dropped, flopping around with kids too afraid to pick them up. It happens all the time. Yet, I never see any like this. Also, back when I was a young lad, (many moons ago) fishing our local rivers and small lakes, fish weren't handled so well. I think we were less sensitive, and less knowledgeable back then. But we never saw this sort of thing. We'd see fish damaged by other fish, and animals, but never this.

So this is why I question whether bad handling is responsible for that pikes condition. As I said, it's merely my opinion.

Just thought this looks like what you would see in some salmon a sort of disease in the skin Like this not saying It is that but certainly looks like it.
    053.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

What size was she? Looks like she was dropped on gravel not a nice sight

25lb, big empty belly, I'd say she definitely was either side of the 30 mark at some stage. Picture doesn't give anything away about been dropped on gravel, she was the same all over. Your above picture looks like UDN which it couldn't be that. Ill try get more information on it, in my opinion and the venue etc it was not bad handling!

Cheers some fish

I was nearly sure that wasn't t looks like it though some sort of diease! Keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Couple of pics from the weekends fishing. Couple of small brownies on a hares ear nymph & a couple of better ones on lures. The one in the pic was caught on an orange/ Silver Tanzanian Devil on 2lb test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

What sort of fish is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

keano25 wrote: »
    What sort of fish is this?

BuA7OEf.gif

Sorry lads picture wouldn't attach but post still went up? Boards glitch

Hopefully this works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That's a small Pollock.

Thought as much thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Small Rudd caught just last week

21556221_2372574829633509_1807093403_o.jpg?oh=d39d388309705958980526f7fbeb6602&oe=59BCE562

This is my first year fishing...been at it since May and absolutely love the sport.

Does it die down in winter? Not looking forward to that.

Here is a specimen of a bream for you to enjoy...

21392798_2370030603221265_1819956855_o.jpg?oh=939190977c1d0a4b07f3535fc0c09e1d&oe=59BC8065

The lid the fish is lying on is 18 inches diagonally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

jme2010 wrote: »
    This is my first year fishing...been at it since May and absolutely love the sport.

Depends on what types of fishing you do - Winter Pike season is only starting, Cod from the beach is a big thing from oct/nov onward.

It does get harder though, dealing with many floods and ridiculously cold mornings and evenings looking for predators!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

jme2010 wrote: »

Here is a specimen of a bream for you to enjoy...

Nice bream, well done.
    Coarse fishing does tend to die down a bit in the winter, the main species for the winter months are roach, hybrids and perch. Bream and Tench are not often caught in winter.

Nice bream, well done.
    Coarse fishing does tend to die down a bit in the winter, the main species for the winter months are roach, hybrids and perch. Bream and Tench are not often caught in winter.

Cheers man...very cold last night but managed to haul in 3 slabs.

Can anyone guess a weight for these bream? I have no scales but they are soooo heavy and 20-23 inches (50-50cm) long.

428174.jpeg

428175.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

is say theyre about 3 to 3.8 lb...its hard to say when ur not holding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice bream, well done.

Tench used to be my main fish in winter years ago. Hard to catch and give one hell of s fight. Like winter pike the fight is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tench used to be my main fish in winter years ago. Hard to catch and give one hell of s fight. Like winter pike the fight is unreal.

Didn't think you could catch tench in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Nice blue there Tom !

davycc wrote: »
    Nice blue there Tom !

he is tiny !!

blue shark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

tuna

tuna

Bluefin Tuna (estimated weight of 550-600lb) off the Donegal coast.
    It was tagged with satellite tag so we can learn more about the movements of these stunning creatures. I was on a high for days after!

Any updates on the fishes movements ?

Advertisement