Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear an Easter Lily ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

anncoates wrote: »
    Is anybody else looking at the poll and sniggering at the thought of the amount of apoplexy people must be feeling about 'West Brits'

Just you I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,244 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have worn one before. Not bothered if I do or don't ever again.

Some people just like be seen to wear these things, be it lillys or poppys.

As someone said each to their own. Couldn't care less either way really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You do realize there are IRA plots up and down the country like..two within few miles of where I live as well as many monuments in every county to mark places where people were killed...

The money raised is pittance compared to what is required hence the many benefit nights/ticket sales etc around the country by locals...

As for defining patriot is someone who believes in the improvment of their country not just being pround of it the way it is..and aanyone who actively seeks this and dies/ devotes their lives in the efforts deserves remembering IMO...though the lily is to remember those that gave their lives..it's not like you could imagine many of today's politians putting there lives on the line if it came to it...even when they were younger...

......and what about someone who kills or tries to kill someone who believes in the improvment of their country not just being pround etc.?

Who is the patriot then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jawgap wrote: »
    ......and what about someone who kills or tries to kill someone who believes in the improvment of their country not just being pround etc.?

Who is the patriot then?

ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, I don't wear any of those kinds of symbols, even when I'm in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I did not know what an Easter Lily was and had to google it. Hell no, I won't wear one nor will any self respecting person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

annascott wrote: »
    I won't wear one

That's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

annascott wrote: »
    I won't wear one nor will any self respecting person.

I'm glad you regard yourself so highly above other people.

Nodin wrote: »
    ye wha?

I'm saying if someone who is described as a patriot kills someone or attempts to kill someone who also fits the definition offered by @tomwaterford (a person believes in the improvment of their country not just being pround of it the way it is....etc) but who has chosen to work to improve their country through small changes and not through force of arms, is the former still a patriot.....

tl/dr - the definition of patriot as espoused by those promoting the Easter Lilly seems limited to those who tried to improve the country through force of arms - plus I'd say the list of activities that fall under the description of 'improvement' is, no doubt, long and unsavoury......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Should this be in the "Will you wear a Red Nose" section

• Advertisement

I'm saying if someone who is described as a patriot kills someone or attempts to kill someone who also fits the definition offered by @tomwaterford (a person believes in the improvment of their country not just being pround of it the way it is....etc) but who has chosen to work to improve their country through small changes and not through force of arms, is the former still a patriot.....

tl/dr - the definition of patriot as espoused by those promoting the Easter Lilly seems limited to those who tried to improve the country through force of arms - plus I'd say the list of activities that fall under the description of 'improvement' is, no doubt, long and unsavoury......

Being a bit wilfull in your reading of it, given the association with the NGA and past risings.

Being a bit wilfull in your reading of it, given the association with the NGA and past risings.

Sorry, but which graves do the NGA cover. The CWGC maintain a website and you can see exactly what they cover.

Other organisations publish their accounts and details of trustee meetings - do the NGA do this?

Also they don't seem to be on the Revenue Commissioner's list of registered charities ?

Any reason why? (the RBL is)

Sorry, but which graves do the NGA cover.

Those of the rising, war of independence, and the recent armed struggle, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You should commemorate events by doing something instead of wearing something IMO.

And many of us do.

I mentioned what I do earlier.. I visit Glasnevin cemetery with my children, both 18 and 22 now but we've done it ever year.

Its a lovely day, and if you can stretch to a tour its even better.

Sometimes you arrive at the same time as the boyo's in their black berets, bomber jackets & dark glasses, I just leave the patriots until these pricks move on then its all pleasant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sorry, but which graves do the NGA cover. The CWGC maintain a website and you can see exactly what they cover.

Other organisations publish their accounts and details of trustee meetings - do the NGA do this?

Also they don't seem to be on the Revenue Commissioner's list of registered charities ?

Any reason why? (the RBL is)

Sorry, but why not spend some time checking their website out?

Sorry, but would that not be as easy as asking loaded questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm not a 19th century high-society dandy so I dont tend to wear flowers of any description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Another thread which shows how out of touch boards is with the rest of the Irish population. There will be no where near 30% of people wearing the Lily on Easter Monday

Those of the rising, war of independence, and the recent armed struggle, afaik.

.....and that's where the wheels come off....

Bambi wrote: »
    Sorry, but why not spend some time checking their website out?

Sorry, but would that not be as easy as asking loaded questions?

I did - hence the questions. No accounts. No trustees. No details of what's raised or how it's spent.

Plus the questions aren't awkward - most charities publish, at least, annual reports giving this info and it's readily accessible. Do the NGA? And if not, why not?

...for you.

...for you.

Yep......and for most civil minded people.

• Advertisement

Yep......and for most civil minded people.

"civil minded" my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Another thread which shows how out of touch boards is with the rest of the Irish population. There will be no where near 30% of people wearing the Lily on Easter Monday

The resident republican loons will likely see the poll as indicative of a site overrun by 'West Brits'.

Certainly more comforting to spin it that way, rather than countenance the thought their tired oul' ballsology is simply so far at odds with the majority of folks hereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

...for you.

For most people actually, there are very few people who would support those who engaged in killing kids in Warrington, murdering Australian tourists in Holland, blowing up working people in Guilford and Birmingham, etc.
    I would never do anything that could be mistaken as having anything other than utter contempt for those who engaged in what you so pathetically describe as "the recent armed struggle".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The resident republican loons will likely see the poll as indicative of a site overrun by 'West Brits'.

Certainly more comforting to spin it that way, rather than countenance the thought their tired oul' ballsology is simply so far at odds with the majority of folks hereabouts.

"ballsology" Are you Michael O Leary of Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "ballsology" Are you Michael O Leary of Ryanair?

:pac:

michaeloleary_0-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I did - hence the questions. No accounts. No trustees. No details of what's raised or how it's spent.

Plus the questions aren't awkward - most charities publish, at least, annual reports giving this info and it's readily accessible. Do the NGA? And if not, why not?

So you read the words "private limited company" and just decided to steam ahead anyway. Good man

Bambi wrote: »
    So you read the words "private limited company" and just decided to steam ahead anyway. Good man

Sorry, where does it say that? I never mentioned it.

There's a "registered no." which I assumed to be a charity registration no. But they don't appear on either the Revenue Commissioner's list (RoI) or the Charity Commission's (UK) list.

I suppose it could be a Company Registration no. - I never thought of that, I just assumed it was a charity.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

For most people actually, there are very few people who would support those who engaged in killing kids in Warrington, murdering Australian tourists in Holland, blowing up working people in Guilford and Birmingham, etc.
    I would never do anything that could be mistaken as having anything other than utter contempt for those who engaged in what you so pathetically describe as "the recent armed struggle".

But I'm sure you would the first person sporting a poppy come remembrance day.

NGA is a private company according to the CRO.....

Anyone know why it's not a charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yamanoto wrote: »

It is an interesting statistic though. 30% of people on this site say they will wear an Easter lily badge while we know from previous years the actual percentage of the adult population who actually wear one will be < 1% which begs two interesting questions related to boards demographics.

1. Are there a greater % of politically active republicans on boards and if so why?

Or

2. Are we experiencing a lot of selection bias where people who don't care (and hence won't wear a badge) are also not interested in voting in this poll. Inflating the yes side beyond what would be expected.

Or

3. Is boards largely populated by younger people who don't remember the horrors of the troubles and are therefore more likely to be dismissive of the crimes carried out by republican groups. Though this is unlikely to be true as it would suggest participation rates for the lily are increasing over time which goes against conventional wisdom on the matter.

Advertisement