Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to greyhound racing please help

• 01-06-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi i would like to get involved in greyhound racing can you guys help me please.How much would it cost to buy a greyhound and what would it cost for a trainer?I live in carlow and have tried to look up trainers online but couldn't find anything helpful any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

You should find some useful info here:

http://www.igb.ie//portal.aspx

I looked into it a while back and form what I remember prices usually start at €3000-€10000 then you have your training fees and race fees etc. A friend of mine is in a syndicate with 5 others and they get great fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Hi i would like to get involved in greyhound racing can you guys help me please.How much would it cost to buy a greyhound and what would it cost for a trainer?I live in carlow and have tried to look up trainers online but couldn't find anything helpful any help appreciated.

For a decent trainer you'd talking around €200 a month give or take, plus whatever extras are incurred (race entries, vet bills, transport etc). The top trainers like Paul Hennessy etc would be more expensive.

You could get good value on a dog at the moment, but again it really depends on your budget. You could get a reasonably well bred pup (4 months old) for around €700 (for a bitch) but then you would be waiting for over a year for her to be ready to run. Take a look at the classifieds section here:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/litter.htm?letter=&land=ie&x=0&filter_sireo=686249&filter_kennelo=all&filter_sire=all&filter_kennel=all&mode=

Also the link above links specifically to pups for sale, if you want to look for ready to race dogs there's and option along the top to change it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

it would also depend where you wanted your dogs to run also. Ask around at your local track .
    Check out www.greyhoundscene.com website for more info also if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

u buy a dog johnny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

the most rigged sport in the world

T2daK wrote: »
    the most rigged sport in the world

Expand on that

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Tinytony wrote: »
    Expand on that

:cool:

ah come on, the amount of unsporting practices that go on. Several times my dad was in the bookies. He would bump into a friend and ask him who he should back in a certainn race, the favourite looks good...

"Ara no sure he's not trying today avoid!"

On most occasions, the stand out favourite finished last, or close to it..

Don't they feed them too soon before the race, not clip their toenails among many other things...

T2daK wrote: »
    ah come on, the amount of unsporting practices that go on. Several times my dad was in the bookies. He would bump into a friend and ask him who he should back in a certainn race, the favourite looks good...

"Ara no sure he's not trying today avoid!"

On most occasions, the stand out favourite finished last, or close to it..

Don't they feed them too soon before the race, not clip their toenails among many other things...

Anything involving people and money is open to corruption.

- FIFA govern the biggest sporting organisation in the world and look at the state that is in.
    - Scores of snooker players have been investigated for match fixing
    - Tennis players the same
    - Cycling has been riddled with doping for years but is finally starting to clean up it act
    - Horse Racing - nothing needs to be said!

If you are punting on anything it is up to you to ensure you have the best possible information before laying a bet.

In an ideal world you could take all form at face value but there are very few strands in life where you will be successful if you adopting an overly trusting approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

I have been involved in Greyhounds for 25 years and it is a great sport to get involved in. You can spend what you like but for a good fun dog who is ready to run and will be competitive about €1k would be plenty. I charge €50 a week to train which is just covers the cost but hey i love it.
    PM if you are interested i have a nice 62 pound bitch which has just qualified for racing. I have now started more intensive training so I expect her to be competitive first time out. I am based in Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hareone

Hello,
    I am a member of a syndicate. We have 3 dogs, 2 that are ready to run, and one 3 month old pup. There is currently 5 members of the syndicate, however we are looking for more members.. We have a facebook page if you want to find us on facebook, Its called "Paws Greyhound Syndicate". If you are interested in joining?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

hareone wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am a member of a syndicate. We have 3 dogs, 2 that are ready to run, and one 3 month old pup. There is currently 5 members of the syndicate, however we are looking for more members.. We have a facebook page if you want to find us on facebook, Its called "Paws Greyhound Syndicate". If you are interested in joining?

Don't seem to be able to get it up on facebook??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hareone

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003169298224 This is our link. Its only a new facebook, we are going to upload some videos of the dogs... If you want to contact me my number is on facebook, or just mail me. Thanks :)

Advertisement