Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools failing to teach English proper, like.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I've better things to do than decipher crap from people who won't bother to respect my time and brainpower.
    An apt avatar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

We can do the same when we read, however it should be an accepted spelling so that we don't have to deal with stupid bull**** made-up words.
    There should be an accepted spelling amongst the masses, that's really the only requirement to it being a "correct" spelling, that everybody understands it and accepts it as the "correct" spelling. The question is, will future generations understand and accept text-speak?
    No, it's not (well, hopefully not) because teens are just ignoring all common-sense and rules in order to seem "cool" - "could of" being a perfect example; there is no logical rule of language that permits it.
    Anything that becomes common amongst the masses could become acceptable, text-speak is common among young generations and presumably will become common amongst the generation after them and so on (unless it dies out of course, but it has a pretty strong hold at the moment. Either way I think it'll have some impact on the future of the language [e.g. "lol" and such are already in dictionaries as I linked to earlier, which while I don't particularly care about I think they're the epitome of inconsistency]).
    If I get an email or see a website that uses it, I move on; they are obviously too juvenile to deal with. [...] If someone texts or Facebook-messages me anything with more than one txtspk crap or uses "could of" or any such ****e, I'll reply "in English please"; I've better things to do than decipher crap from people who won't bother to respect my time and brainpower.
    That's fair enough, if you don't accept it they shouldn't be writing to you that way (obviously).
    Hence, as I said, the reason English is so difficult, because it gets bastardised in the name of "progress"; new words for new things, fine : e.g. Smartphone, but most of it is bull**** and is the reason the language is a mess.
    Every word started somewhere (possibly as a bastardization of a previous word) and there'll only be more to come. The issue is in how we deal with them (obviously I'm in favour of a consistent phonetic approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't fire an arrow either. You shoot an arrow. To fire something would imply that there is some form of ignition or heat involved.

Strictly speaking you loose an arrow, but given that no-one now knows the difference between lose and loose that could really create confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

An apt avatar :D

No idea what that's supposed to mean; please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No idea what that's supposed to mean; please explain.
    Your avatar is from a 90s cartoon called "Pinky and the Brain" where The Brain (The mouse) was always talking about his superior brainpower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Your avatar is from a 90s cartoon called "Pinky and the Brain" where The Brain (The mouse) was always talking about his superior brainpower.

:D Jeez! I'd forgotten all about that avatar! It doesn't show up when I'm on boards, and hasn't for years!

Now that I think about it, no-one's avatar does!

EDIT : Control Panel - Edit Options - Visible Forum Elements - Tick Checkbox :)

Thanks partyatmygaff !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

*bluewolf added to ignore list*

On topic, I don't mind typos all that much but three things really bother me.

"Lose"/"loose", "their"/"there"/"they're" etc are fairly common words that are often incorrectly spelt. These words mean completely different things and when I see them misused, my internal reading voice hits an unexpected speed bump and I need to re-read the phrase. People who don't know the difference should not be allowed work in a place where email is used. They should go learn a trade or something.

This mistake really bugs me. Even more than there instead of their or loose instead of lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bnt wrote: »
    As for Boards - fugeddabouttit, it's a lost cause already! ;)

Is suspect Boards probably doesn't give a shít.

Advertisement