Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Intel core 2 duo T7300 capable of 64bit Windows 7?

• 15-09-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with an Intel core 2 duo T7300 processor 2ghz. I'm upgrading the original hard drive so I'm half thinking of availing of the discounted Windows 7 upgrade offer while I am at it.

I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 32 bit on the laptop. Am I correct in thinking that the T7300 is a 64 bit processor and capable of running Windows 7 64 bit? If so, what are real advantages of choosing Windows 7 64bit over 32 bit and is it worth installing it on a three year old Vostro 1500?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nephew wrote: »
    I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with an Intel core 2 duo T7300 processor 2ghz. I'm upgrading the original hard drive so I'm half thinking of availing of the discounted Windows 7 upgrade offer while I am at it.

I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 32 bit on the laptop. Am I correct in thinking that the T7300 is a 64 bit processor and capable of running Windows 7 64 bit? If so, what are real advantages of choosing Windows 7 64bit over 32 bit and is it worth installing it on a three year old Vostro 1500?

Unless you want to exceed 4GB of RAM theres none. For the average user 64bit just means driver hassle. There's another thread here just today where a guy with a 1500 changed to 64 and his touchpad wouldnt work. Fortuneatly updates fixed it, but thats the kind of hassle you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks. Other than driver issues would there be much of a performance increase using 64 bit programmes to justify the hassle. I already have 4gb of ram in the Vostro 1500 which I take is the max it can take.

Advertisement