Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai or Security for Spanish Arch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

You're saying that if we ask a drunken crowd of teens to politely move they will oblige peaceably without hesitation? If you really expect people to believe that then you could make a living selling magic beans as well.

Also drunken loutish behaviour is not justifiable by any means. If you sincerely think that the atitude of the OP is justifiable enough for the buckfast brigade to get drunk out of their minds and verbally harass people when they are breaking the law by drinking underage anyway then it is a sad indictment on yourself. Also to the other posters whose response is that the economy is fecked and the politicians screwed us so leave the louts alone, GET real. If i shoplift can i blame the politicians? If i get drunk and punch someone, can i blame the atitude of those who adhere to higher social standard as justifiable cause? The drinking culture in Ireland makes us a laughing stock to the world. How many jokes have you heard abroad about the "drunken irish". I know people fall on both sides of the fence but drunken and loutish behaviour is not acceptable or justifiable under any circumstances and any of the posters in this thread that say otherwise are just demonstrating a rather immature atitude to such social problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

GarIT wrote: »
    ............. what is the op trying to say about hoodies?.........All of the country's top GAA managers have worn a hoodie at some time.

Not a good comparison. Wearing a hoodie as an item of sportsgear is fine.

The stone throwing fúckers that wear them in my neighbourhood - not so fine.

And like most things (including people enjoying themselves on Spanish Parade), its the actions of the few that screw things up for the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They just want to feel involved :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

zarquon wrote: »
    You're saying that if we ask a drunken crowd of teens to politely move they will oblige peaceably without hesitation? If you really expect people to believe that then you could make a living selling magic beans as well.
    I don't see how the fact that a law might be inconvenient for the police to enforce means they are absolved from bothering to do so.
    No need to beat a drum about it, but look at the chaos at Eyre Square every weekend and see how many Gardai there are sorting the trouble out.
    Like Public Enemy said, I'll call a cab 'cos a cab will come quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Also drunken loutish behaviour is not justifiable by any means. If you sincerely think that the atitude of the OP is justifiable enough for the buckfast brigade to get drunk out of their minds and verbally harass people when they are breaking the law by drinking underage anyway then it is a sad indictment on yourself.

Maybe not without hesitation but there teenagers and its the summer, I can't even get out of bed without hesitation. I have been ask to move many times and have done without a problem. I doubt there is a single person there that wants to cause trouble, they are just out to enjoy the atmosphere and have fun.

Its not just the attitude of the OP its the attitude of people we see everyday. Every single day of my life theres always an old person that looks at me funny or acts scared walking by me for absolutely no reason. I have never been an any trouble in my life. I recently got an award for never being corrected by a teacher in 6 years in my school and the only time I was even in a garda station was to get my passport form stamped. Yet I see old people the look terrified to walk by because I am sitting on a wall. Ive seen people cross the road to avoid me, why because im younger than them? I really don't get it. If people exagerate things so much of course young people will take advantage of it. A few of my mates (luckily I wasn't) were in a paper in a report saying about how we terrorise people on their way to do their shopping, we used to sit on the gap in the wall at the entrance to a shoppinc center car park and they go and say we terrorise people, that attitude is what causes retalation. A while ago someone stopped and shouted at us for going quite when they walk by, apparently we were talking about them, there are just so many paranoid adults and old people around that warrant the treatment thats beginning because it wasn't possible at all that we might have been talking about something we didnt want you to hear, but that automatically translates to talking about you and planning to attack you, what planet are some people on.

Maybe some young people have caused trouble but the rest wont if you actually show them some respect and stop lumping them in with the same group. They wear the same clothes so they must behave the same, stunning logic there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you are quite defensive there gharit.

I am posting on what I saw down at the spanish arch on saturday night. I don't know if you were part of the young hoodie brigade there that night, but they were intimidating, drunk, loud and obnoxious.

It is those people who should have a bit of respect for passers by.

Yes, we know people drink at the spanish arch all the time - its not about that - its about the pockets of underage drunk louts that were there on saturday night

You may think it is okay but from your last post you seem to think that people should go around "respecting" you.

Maybe you should try and give the same respect to others. Yes people are afraid of groups of young men congregating, especially when they are loaded up on buck fast. Its a fact.

Lapin wrote: »
    Not a good comparison. Wearing a hoodie as an item of sportsgear is fine.

The stone throwing fúckers that wear them in my neighbourhood - not so fine.

And like most things (including people enjoying themselves on Spanish Parade), its the actions of the few that screw things up for the vast majority.

I wear a hoodies everyday because its comfortable. You can't blame everyone for the actons of a small few people. Wearing a hoodie doesn't mean you will cause trouble.

If there are a few people causing trouble deal with them individually instead of blaming everyone and just causing anger amongst young people.

Your logic says someone wearing a hoodie is automatically going to cause trouble. All young people could adopt your logic and say that someone thats a catholic is automically going to try to rape them. There is a higher percentage of priests that rape children than there is children wearing hoodies that cause trouble.

I think the fact that there are more paedophile preists per capita in Ireland than any other country in the world would do more damage to tourism than children that like to wear hoodies.

. There is a higher percentage of priests that rape children than there is children wearing hoodies that cause trouble.

I think the fact that there are more paedophile preists per capita in Ireland than any other country in the world would do more damage to tourism than children that like to wear hoodies.

Amazing statistics there. Can you please supply the reports and figures you used for your analysis or could it be that you are stating your opinion as statistical fact? I don't need to do too much analysis on your assertion that there are more paedophile priests that troublesome teens in Ireland, anyone with a bit of sense between their ears knows the reality of your statement there. :rolleyes:

I wear a hoodies everyday because its comfortable. You can't blame everyone for the actons of a small few people. Wearing a hoodie doesn't mean you will cause trouble.

If there are a few people causing trouble deal with them individually instead of blaming everyone and just causing anger amongst young people.

Your logic says someone wearing a hoodie is automatically going to cause trouble. All young people could adopt your logic and say that someone thats a catholic is automically going to try to rape them. There is a higher percentage of priests that rape children than there is children wearing hoodies that cause trouble.

garit - there are people wearing hoodies all over the world. However its the ones that gather in small groups, drunk, intimidating, and up to no good that people have a problem with. Can you not understand this? If not, ask you granny would she walk past a group of young hoodlums with alcohol bottles gathered at an entrance to a walkway.

you are quite defensive there gharit.

I am posting on what I saw down at the spanish arch on saturday night. I don't know if you were part of the young hoodie brigade there that night, but they were intimidating, drunk, loud and obnoxious.

It is those people who should have a bit of respect for passers by.

Yes, we know people drink at the spanish arch all the time - its not about that - its about the pockets of underage drunk louts that were there on saturday night

You may think it is okay but from your last post you seem to think that people should go around "respecting" you.

Maybe you should try and give the same respect to others. Yes people are afraid of groups of young men congregating, especially when they are loaded up on buck fast. Its a fact.

I wasn't there but I am defending young people in general and making a point of the descrimination I face every day by adults.

Were you personally hurt in any way by any young person on that night? I doubt it, you are just making a fuss over nothing. Loud people, is that really a problem, were they in a library?

I don't agree with drinking in public and I don't do it but I am still bullied by adults everyday just for hanging around and minding my own business. I've been harrassed by many adults for no reason at all because of a steriotpe they decide to hold.

I have seen many adults that are both intimidating and obnoxious without me even doing anything.

Why should I respect someone who stares at me for no reason at all. Young people have equal rights to every adult, I've never caused anyone any harm yet some adults think they can bully us for fun. I've never caused any trouble to anyone walking by, what more do you want before the abuse stops?

• Advertisement

older people would have problems with young lads hanging around in groups on street corners, being obnoxious, loud and intimidating. You may not think you are but you don't seem to try and understand how older people might see you.

Still, as I say, ask your granny - see what her answers are, and work on that. You may see the other side of the story then.

Amazing statistics there. Can you please supply the reports and figures you used for your analysis or could it be that you are stating your opinion as statistical fact? I don't need to do too much analysis on your assertion that there are more paedophile priests that troublesome teens in Ireland, anyone with a bit of sense between their ears knows the reality of your statement there. :rolleyes:

There is as much fast there as in everyone elses posts. Think about it though, There are 1.2 million young people in Ireland, maybe once a year you will hear about young people actually causing noteworthy trouble. The number of priests is in the thousands yet you hear about them at least weekly.

garit - there are people wearing hoodies all over the world. However its the ones that gather in small groups, drunk, intimidating, and up to no good that people have a problem with. Can you not understand this? If not, ask you granny would she walk past a group of young hoodlums with alcohol bottles gathered at an entrance to a walkway.

Its always the small groups you pick on isnt it :rolleyes:

How were they intimidating? Did they even look at you? I doubt they cared that you were there at all.

Can you answer my question about if they did anything to you in any way?

She actually would, she is an exception though because I have talked to her before about the abuse young people face and the descrimination by the elderly. We might behave differently to the way you did, we still dont cause any more ham than kids did in the 60's.

Its always the small groups you pick on isnt it :rolleyes:

How were they intimidating? Did they even look at you? I doubt they cared that you were there at all.

Can you answer my question about if they did anything to you in any way?

She actually would, she is an exception though because I have talked to her before about the abuse young people face and the descrimination by the elderly. We might behave differently to the way you did, we still dont cause any more ham than kids did in the 60's.

oh please grow up a little

older people would have problems with young lads hanging around in groups on street corners, being obnoxious, loud and intimidating. You may not think you are but you don't seem to try and understand how older people might see you.

Still, as I say, ask your granny - see what her answers are, and work on that. You may see the other side of the story then.

What way would they see me, what do you want me to do, hide inside for my life because you don't want to look at me, and you think other people are obnoxious?

oh please grow up a little

Grow up? What have I said that was childish, answer my posts and actually stand up for your arguement? You just answer what you want to and then hide from the rest.

Did anyone harm you in any way?

Nobody did anything to you, they didn't even look at you, your point is completely invalad, you are just steriotyping and descriminating against young people who you do not know and who have cause you no harm. Yet you tell me to grow up?

If you actually think you have any point to make tell me how young people are intimidating? Why do they scare you? What are they going to do to you?

Do you have any idea how hurtful it is to be called all sorts of names by adults when you are just minding your own business?

If its ok to call me things like a hoodie, a hodlum and a lout why don't I start, you are a crank, you are looking for something to complain about, and you are a descriminative hyprocrite. If you have a problem with any of those names I can prove it factually so theres no problem there. You know why im resorting to this, because im getting really frustrated with how you are descriminating against me, this is why things young people do are justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you actually think you have any point to make tell me how young people are intimidating? Why do they scare you? What are they going to do to you?

Do you have any idea how hurtful it is to be called all sorts of names by adults when you are just minding your own business?

If its ok to call me things like a hoodie, a hodlum and a lout why don't I start, you are a crank, you are looking for something to complain about, and you are a descriminative hyprocrite. If you have a problem with any of those names I can prove it factually so theres no problem there. You know why im resorting to this, because im getting really frustrated with how you are descriminating against me, this is why things young people do are justified.

GarIT, you said in an earlier post that you don't drink in public.

So how do you have any personal experience of the behaviour of young people at the arch? Trust me, the lads who hang out there at night are not just "hanging out", they are there to drink and it's the alcohol-fueled behaviour that people have a problem with, not the clothing.

The hoodie is a perfectly innocent garment (I even have one myself) but it's associated with street-drinking-youths because the hood is a good way of making sure that people and security cameras can't recognise you so easily. That is why we old people are wary of people wearing hoodies - we know that anyone who is trying to hide their face is up to no good.

JustMary wrote: »
    GarIT, you said in an earlier post that you don't drink in public.

So how do you have any personal experience of the behaviour of young people at the arch? Trust me, the lads who hang out there at night are not just "hanging out", they are there to drink and it's the alcohol-fueled behaviour that people have a problem with, not the clothing.

The hoodie is a perfectly innocent garment (I even have one myself) but it's associated with street-drinking-youths because the hood is a good way of making sure that people and security cameras can't recognise you so easily. That is why we old people are wary of people wearing hoodies - we know that anyone who is trying to hide their face is up to no good.

I don't really, I haven't been to Galway in 5 years. Im just aware of the abuse we get at home so I know what its like, I was out on Euro cup nights so I was around similar things going on. Paddys day is another example of when ive been with people drinking outside. Adults give us abuse at any time though, even when we dont drink. These people cause the OP no harm, nor did they cause anyone any harm. He is just looking for more reasons to descriminate.

I know the hoodie isnt the problem, but the OP claimed that it was and that is what I was picking up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Hooded_monk.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    And drinking in public.
    Since when is drinking in public a big deal in Galway? I've walked down the street in Galway and seen all sorts standing out in the street with their drink. I've drank in public it's been going on for years and is usually accepted.
    And littering
    Littering shouldn't be tolerated but it may be better to just ask them not to litter or make it obvious they don't need to litter rather than labelling them as dangerous and running away scared.

Their behaviour there is no worse that it is elsewhere in the city - but around the arch there are more of them gathered together, so are more menacing to other people - especially those perceived as vulnerable (tourists, old, alone, disabled, etc).
    This is a tabloid reaction I'm always half shocked, half bent over laughing when I see the fear in grown adults when they're around teenagers and kids they don't know.
    The point of this thread is that the guards don't appear to be moving them along.
    I don't think they should be moved on, all your doing is turning them into pariahs and that will only lead to conflict.

They have as much right to be there as anybody and as long as they're not breaking any laws I'm only delighted to see people getting themselves in a huff because they don't like the look of youngwans.

I don't really, I haven't been to Galway in 5 years. Im just aware of the abuse we get at home so I know what its like, I was out on Euro cup nights so I was around similar things going on. Paddys day is another example of when ive been with people drinking outside. Adults give us abuse at any time though, even when we dont drink. These people cause the OP no harm, nor did they cause anyone any harm. He is just looking for more reasons to descriminate.

I know the hoodie isnt the problem, but the OP claimed that it was and that is what I was picking up on.

right, you haven't been to Galway for five years....so you actually have no clue about the Spanish Arch or what goes on down there. Yet you seem to having such an attitude on this forum because people are going on about what was going on down there on Saturday night. You were there, haven't been here for five years yet you are up in arms at the people who were there.

if you are this bad on boards, I'd hate to see your attitude face to face. Maybe something to think about - there could be a REASON people look at you they way they do. Angry at the world, and not even a hint that you might be affecting more vulnerable people in the way you hang out at corners.

A lot to think about there :(

In fairness GarIT has plenty of points and for once we can have both sides of the story, you cant label someone as "angry" or they have an "attitude" just because they don't agree with you and in any case its the V.O.R. not a papal visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

if you are this bad on boards, I'd hate to see your attitude face to face. Maybe something to think about - there could be a REASON people look at you they way they do. Angry at the world, and not even a hint that you might be affecting more vulnerable people in the way you hang out at corners.

(

This...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So OP, did you scribe your thoughts on this issue to the local superintendent yet?

Shakti wrote: »
    In fairness GarIT has plenty of points and for once we can have both sides of the story, you cant label someone as "angry" or they have an "attitude" just because they don't agree with you and in any case its the V.O.R. not a papal visit.

shakti, read his posts again - its not the op he is angry about - he seems to be angry at the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Judging by this forum, the VOR is tearing our city apart and turning neighbours against one another... :P

shakti, read his posts again - its not the op he is angry about - he seems to be angry at the world.

I've read them and I would say 'forthright' instead of angry, I've seen "angry" and I'm not feeling it here more a candid reaction to what was to begin with an adversarial post by way of a sweeping generalisation.

Shakti wrote: »
    I've read them and I would say 'forthright' instead of angry, I've seen "angry" and I'm not feeling it here more a candid reaction to what was to begin with an adversarial post by way of a sweeping generalisation.

id say yourself and the other lad should read the OP again. :D:D

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »

They have as much right to be there as anybody and as long as they're not breaking any laws I'm only delighted to see people getting themselves in a huff because they don't like the look of youngwans.

Underage drinking=breaking the law.
    Drinking in public=breaking the law.
    Littering their empty cans and bottles=breaking the law.

I don't just categorise teens with this though. Points 2 and 3 also apply to the many adult drinkers around the arch too.

TBH threads like this only serve to show the laissez faire attitude of people to Ireland's drink and social problems........"ah sure it's fine to flagrantly disregard the law, they're only having a bit of craic". It also highlights the disparity in atitudes. Those who grow up engaging in such activities embarassingly continue to support such activities in their adulthood. Perhaps some of these posters should comeback and read their posts in 10, 20 or even 30 years time when they are watching their own kids out and about bushing, etc. Will you congratulate your own 14/15 year old daughter for tarting herself up with about 10 layers of makeup and a lack of clothing that would be out of place on a miami beach and watch as she downs vodka mixers and buckie on street corners whilst idiotic hormone driven young fellas demonstrate their coolness by shouting obscenities and throwing themselves at your daughters. Maybe you'll be superimpressed by your sons who go out on their "shifting" and "shagging" and getting "locked" in celebration of their junior certs! Would those would be dads currently in support of such behaviour, be giving their future (or current) sons high fives for their shenanigans.

I understand a somewhat lack of maturity in young peoples atitudes towards such issues but i am greatly aggreived at seeing the responses of adults in this thread (i am assuming adults, correct me if i am wrong). The type of of drunken behaviour we regular see from teens and adults around Galway is shocking.

I suppose on rag week, if your car gets pelted with a rock as you drive by drunken students, you will give them a thumbs up with a smile as they are only having a bit of craic. If some student is pissing up against your door will you smile and help him shake it dry as he's only having a bit of fun and doing no harm.

It's not really the teens that need to grow up. Young people are just that, young. They will in time grow and develop more mature social standards. Adults however that have not developed beyond their teen or student days are more of a problem

Advertisement