Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Markhor

Sam34

I thought this was a chat forum, why should a person be banned and silenced just because others do not agree with them and do not want to hear the truth.

You sound just like the government, ban this, ban that, ban the other, a typical reaction from a dictatorship.

There is an old Roman maxim ''if you tell the truth you will be hated''.

Why dont you ask the other contributors on here should I be banned if they say yes then I will not post here again.

I was only offering sensible advice to people, one of which even stated they had no family or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes you should, that advice is unhelpful, and ludicrous.
    If it was as simple as going out and meeting people, or having a bit of exercise to cure whatever's wrong, I'm sure we'd all do it. But it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't have a problem with anything you've said that I can remember. I am actually in agreement with you to a point. I think it is very easy to be misunderstood and I think you are not one of those 'ah just walk it off' types who are uninformed, quite the opposite. But it is easy for people to read your posts (wrongly) as that.

EDIT: hadn't read all the posts, didn't see the direct med advice

Cloud493

I didnt say going out and meeting people and taking exercise alone would cure depression and anxiety, but both would help.

The causes of depression are numerous, such as abuse, loss of employment, financial worries, loss of status or death of a loved one or close friend.

A person must break out from the cycle by actually doing little things and building up by degrees to what would be considered a normal existence.

I know people with severe depression, they wont even wash themselves, wont do anything in their homes which results in making their lives much worse.

All I am suggesting is that people with depression should make a conscious effort
    to keep occupied and as a result it will help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Markhor wrote: »
    Sam34

I thought this was a chat forum, why should a person be banned and silenced just because others do not agree with them and do not want to hear the truth.

You sound just like the government, ban this, ban that, ban the other, a typical reaction from a dictatorship.

There is an old Roman maxim ''if you tell the truth you will be hated''.

Why dont you ask the other contributors on here should I be banned if they say yes then I will not post here again.

I was only offering sensible advice to people, one of which even stated they had no family or friends.

A) please read site wide rules re discussing mod actions on thread

B) there is a site wide rule re giving medical advice, and what you were doing breached that rule

C) a number of other posters here had reported your posts as they were concerned about the content and it being inappropriate

D) your 'advice' was far from sensible and was downright irresponsible.

• Advertisement

Sam34

You and others say its irresponsible, but many around the world have the same
    views as myself concerning the over use of drugs as medication.

I know numerous people who are out of their head on drugs given out by doctors and their behaviour is not what would be considered normal.

Medication has is place in the treatment of mental illness but its over reliance is very prevalent today.

Surely other methods should be tried to beat depression if at all possible, what is wrong with telling people to take fresh air, exercise and stay occupied throughout
    life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Yes you should be banned. You clearly know very little about depression and anxiety and what causes them. Aimlessness and mulling things over can make my depression worse at times but it does not cause it, a chemical imbalance in the brain does. If I could be rid of this by simply taking my mind off of it I would be now. I've tried to distract myself out of this, think my way out of it, ignore my way out of it but it doesn't work that way. The likelihood of getting through depression without some form of professional treatment is very very very low and saying people just need to 'take control' is very dangerous thing to do. Depression can be treated without anti-depressants (depending on the severity of the condition) but even then there's more too it than just being engaged in physical activity. Exercise helps me but do you know what helps me more? Seeing a counsellor twice a month. And even then I have truly awful periods where I don't want to be alive. So please don't come in here claiming if we had more active lifestyles we'd all be healthy because it's trivialising, upsetting and just plain wrong.

You say telling the truth and you will be hated well here's some truth for you, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Cloud493

I didnt say going out and meeting people and taking exercise alone would cure depression and anxiety, but both would help.

The causes of depression are numerous, such as abuse, loss of employment, financial worries, loss of status or death of a loved one or close friend.

A person must break out from the cycle by actually doing little things and building up by degrees to what would be considered a normal existence.

I know people with severe depression, they wont even wash themselves, wont do anything in their homes which results in making their lives much worse.

All I am suggesting is that people with depression should make a conscious effort

You're not incorrect with any of this general advice, you overstepped the line with your advice to lukesmom though. That's for her doctor to decide.

Yes you should be banned. You clearly know very little about depression and anxiety and what causes them. Aimlessness and mulling things over can make my depression worse at times but it does not cause it, a chemical imbalance in the brain does. If I could be rid of this by simply taking my mind off of it I would be now. I've tried to distract myself out of this, think my way out of it, ignore my way out of it but it doesn't work that way. The likelihood of getting through depression without some form of professional treatment is very very very low and saying people just need to 'take control' is very dangerous thing to do. Depression can be treated without anti-depressants (depending on the severity of the condition) but even then there's more too it than just being engaged in physical activity. Exercise helps me but do you know what helps me more? Seeing a counsellor twice a month. And even then I have truly awful periods where I don't want to be alive. So please don't come in here claiming if we had more active lifestyles we'd all be healthy because it's trivialising, upsetting and just plain wrong.

You say telling the truth and you will be hated well here's some truth for you, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

The chemical imbalance has not been proven and SSRI's action results are based on the subjective opinions of patients. I'm not saying it isn't true or anything I'm just saying to keep that in mind. You have not been tested for seratonin levels.

Also, diet and activities effect seratonin levels this is a fact, to say as definitively as you do that someone has a chronic lack of seratonin is misrepresentative. It kind of sneaked into common discourse to just say 'chemical imbalance'. Social validation for example is one our main sources of seratonin, so seratonin levels are changing all the time based on the things you do and what you eat. Naturally if you do activities and eat foods that positively effect seratonin someone with depression is capable of having any seratonin level. There is no evidence to suggest that depression fixes it at a lower limit.

Apologies if that seems like I am attacking you, I completely am not! I just don't like the disinformation around this because someone reads it and thinks 'oh well if its a chemical imbalance then I have to be on medication my whole life' and this is not proven.

:)

The reason they don't wash themselves etc. is because they have severe depression. If you see no point in living it's very hard to see a point in looking after yourself at all. I've struggled to see the point in getting out of bed many times and I know staying in bed makes it worse but if my depression is bad enough that logic alone isn't enough to just get me out of bed. Making an effort to do thing can help but you do not seem to realise not everyone is in a position where they can force themselves to do things. Sometimes the illness is just too severe to be able to fight it without professional help.
    Sam34

I know numerous people who are out of their head on drugs given out by doctors and their behaviour is not what would be considered normal.

Medication has is place in the treatment of mental illness but its over reliance is very prevalent today.

Surely other methods should be tried to beat depression if at all possible, what is wrong with telling people to take fresh air, exercise and stay occupied throughout
    life.

The problem is the phrasing of your posts suggest that these methods will cure depression and that medication has no place in its treatment. Maybe you did not mean it but that is what it came across as and that is damaging advice. I do agree that to a degree their is an over reliance on medication in the treatment of mental illness by some GPs but it should not be discounted totally and is still a useful form of treatment and vital for a lot of people. You actively told other posters on here that they're on 'cocktails' of drugs and need to engage in physical activity instead. Firstly you nothing about them and are not a medical professional so you have no way of knowing just how necessary and/or helpful their medications are to them. You also do not know if they are in fact participating in physical activity, getting fresh air, seeing people etc. and how much they actually help them because their effects are different for all. If you want to discuss alternative forms of treatment to medication do so but do it in a respectful manner and understand that some people cannot get through without medication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

When I started this thread. The idea was that it was a suppost forum. That we could talk to like minded people about things that nobody else can understand unless they've been through it themselves. To let your feelings out without being judged, misunderstood or ridoculed.

The chemical imbalance has not been proven and SSRI's action results are based on the subjective opinions of patients. I'm not saying it isn't true or anything I'm just saying to keep that in mind. You have not been tested for seratonin levels.

Also, diet and activities effect seratonin levels this is a fact, to say as definitively as you do that someone has a chronic lack of seratonin is misrepresentative. It kind of sneaked into common discourse to just say 'chemical imbalance'. Social validation for example is one our main sources of seratonin, so seratonin levels are changing all the time based on the things you do and what you eat. Naturally if you do activities and eat foods that positively effect seratonin someone with depression is capable of having any seratonin level. There is no evidence to suggest that depression fixes it at a lower limit.

Apologies if that seems like I am attacking you, I completely am not! I just don't like the disinformation around this because someone reads it and thinks 'oh well if its a chemical imbalance then I have to be on medication my whole life' and this is not proven.

I know diet, exercise, social contact etc. can raise seratonin levels and I know they can be helpful in treating it. I also know that it's possible to live without medication for some (I'm one of them). However I do not think it's helpful to suggest medication should not be used and is in fact detrimental. It seems now that was not the poster's intention but it came across that way in the initial posts. Also he seems to lack understanding of how the severe depression can affect people by saying those who wash themselves would improve if they took better care of themselves. It's not that simple at all and insulting to those who have or are experiencing depression that severe.

I agree, I was just addressing the chemical imbalance point because I hear it so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It is very much a support thread. And I'm sure there's a fair amount of truth in what Jimmy is saying in fact, one of the reasons why I exercise twice a day(that sand the fact that if I didn't I'd swell up like a balloon) Just the way the other poster presented it was quite unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Lukesmom

How could you be right when taking a cocktail of drugs, most of those mind altering drugs given out as medication are more destructive to proper brain function that the medical profession would have you believe.

So am I right in thinking by your advice I should stop the medications I take, that my psychiatrist has prescribed for me to take ALONG with seeing a therapist regularly. I also exercise, push myself to get out and about even though it may be the last thing I feel like doing. So what am I doing so wrong???:confused:

Sam34

life.

Advising people whom you do not know and have not assessed in a professional medical capacity not to take medication which has been prescribed by someone who has assessed them in a professional capacity IS irresponsible, whether you acknowledge it or not.

This is a thread which is there to support those with anxiety or depression. It is not a place for them to have to justify the treatment choices they have made with their treating doctors, or to have those choices criticised or ridiculed.

If you are unable or unwilling to see that, and to post in the spirit of this thread, then simply don't post here again.

Final warning. If you post to justify your earlier posts, or your opinion, or in a similar fashion again, or if you breach the charter in any fashion again, you'll be banned. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

This thread had been of fantastic value for those of us to vent share and support.

Please do not let that fade so many genuine people here helping each other.

Lets get back on track.
    Ill start, having positive few days, dispite the fact im I'll with sore throat
    I think the bit of sunshine the last while has helped lift the mood a bit

Doctor in the morning- can't believe I'm doing this :(

As I said yesterday feel on the verge of a come down. Been studying today and fell more or less alright so think staying busy and focused is the key. Hopefully won't have a post exams crash like last year. Although if it does happen at least this time I'll be prepared. Last year was the first depressive episode I'd had in about three years and the worst I'd had (have had worse since).

Speaking of which what defines a depressive episode because I've been up and down a million times since then. Am I having lots of little/medium episodes or is it all just one year long episode?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Good luck in the morning Phi3! Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know but try to think of it as the first step in making things better.

• Advertisement

Good luck in the morning Phi3! Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know but try to think of it as the first step in making things better.

Thanks. Terrified....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

phi3 wrote: »
    Doctor in the morning- can't believe I'm doing this :(

Good for you phi3, it's great that you've made a decision to do something for yourself. Hope all goes well, you deserve it. :)

phi3 wrote: »
    Thanks. Terrified....

You are brave and you deserve to feel better so going to the gp is a courageous thing to do. We are all here behind you every step of the way and you will come through the other side :) hugs to you and the very best of luck in the morning, the first step to getting and feeling better x

Genuinely good to hear your having a few decent days handbag :) I'm similar myself, haven't crashed since last friday and touch wood I go out a lot this weekend and fry the ould brain to smithereeens.

Genuinely good to hear your having a few decent days handbag :) I'm similar myself, haven't crashed since last friday and touch wood I go out a lot this weekend and fry the ould brain to smithereeens.

Hey I wanna jump aboard the happy train too, was close to suicidal saturday and now I'm right as rain. Amazing what a trip to the psych doc and therapist can do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Thank you friend :)
    Hope it lasts but just trying to enjoy being calm and collected for the first time in a long time.

Best of luck to you with that...the thought of alcohol...terrifies me lol

Sam34

I don't think I could justify any opinion to you as your mind seems to be closed off
    with intolerance.

Sam34

I don't think I could justify any opinion to you as your mind seems to be closed off
    with intolerance.

Banned, as outlined/warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

For me, this works. All hands on deck at dawn - i.e., we're all in this together. No-one gets out alive, or everyone does. Your port in my heavy storm.
    All hands on deck at dawn
    Sailing to sadder shores
    Your port in my heavy storms
    Harbours the blackest thoughts

I'm at sea again
    And now your hurricanes have brought down this ocean rain
    To bathe me again
    My ship's a sail
    Can you hear it's tender frame
    Screaming from beneath the waves
    Screaming from beneath the waves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYAWSjFk4M