Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a bird?

• 22-02-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey,does anyone know of any rescue centers or animal shelters that rehome birds in the Dublin/Leinster area?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What type of bird is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

biko wrote: »
    What type of bird is it?

sorry i meant that i could adopt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

what type of bird are you looking for?

ideally anything up to a medium sized parrot.

i assume they're hard to come across for adoption as they can be quite expensive.

people would probably prefer to sell their bird rather than bring it to a shelter etc.

just lost our dog recently so looking for something to liven up the house again.

had 2 lovebirds that died of old age,they were about 16-17 years old.

Its very rare that a parrot will come up for adoption. People just sell them instead. Do you have any experience with parrots though? Its allot different from owning a love bird or a dog :D

The majority of birds are re-homed because they are behaving in some sort of way that the owner cannot handle ( screaming, biting etc.). These birds require experienced owners who can rehabilitate them.

If you want a parrot do some reading so you'd know what your getting yourself into then maybe research some breeders (Dont go for a petshop bird)

• Advertisement

yeah i've done alot of reading over the last few weeks,whilst saving.

i've been thinking about an amazon breed parrot or an african grey.

i wouldnt go with a pet shop,firstly because i hear the parrots arent the best kept,and secondly because of their prices.

Thirdly because they become problem birds themselves because they never get the amount of attention a parrot needs.

Do you live in an apartment or a house? Is your house detached? Just asking because although greys can be loud Amazons can be 10 times louder!

i live in a housing estate.

not detatched! but considering the neighbours have about 8 dogs between im sure they probably wont even hear a parrot never mind complain :)

do you know who the best breeder would be or where i could visit to have a look?

thanks for all the help BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe stick with smaller birds like budgies?

i live in a housing estate.

not detatched! but considering the neighbours have about 8 dogs between im sure they probably wont even hear a parrot never mind complain :)

do you know who the best breeder would be or where i could visit to have a look?

thanks for all the help BTW :)

I have a grey but I got her from a man who could not longer look after her. I dont know any breeders personally but if you go to www.parrots.ie you will be able to find breeders of various species.

No prob. If you want any more info just ask

• Advertisement

and is her behaviour etc still fine or?

i've read some of the rescue or adopted ones can have behaviour issues and never really take to their new owner.

did you happen to know the person who couldn't hold on to her or did you contact him on the internet?

and is her behaviour etc still fine or?

i've read some of the rescue or adopted ones can have behaviour issues and never really take to their new owner.

did you happen to know the person who couldn't hold on to her or did you contact him on the internet?

It wasn't no, her diet was seed based with no supplementation so her health wasn't great. Her blood feathers would break so easily that she nearly died from blood loss. It took me about a year to get her to accept new foods but she still wont eat pellets.

I'm afraid I don't have his number any more as it was a long time ago. sometimes parrots.ie has birds for re homing and there are definitely breeders on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

The DSPCA (Dublin) regularly get birds in, ive seen ringnecks and large parrots up there as well. Not sure if they've any at the moment but you could give them a ring and ask them to contact you if they get any in if they don't have any.

Advertisement