Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Directories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Berndadette

I am very grateful for your information shanew.
    The years you give are fine - they give me the information I need.
    Sorry for delay in getting back to you - I had trouble signing in!
    Again, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hugob268

Hi Shane

In your Thoms collection, I wonder if you might be able to tell me who was living at 37 Blackhall Place (Arran Quay area) between 1911 where my Gt Uncle lived until his death in 1917.

Then for 31 Blackhall Place1915 onwards where my 1st cousin (once removed) his son, lived and raised his family (five 2nd cousins) at least until when the last child was born.

The family name should be McGee or Magee.

Many thanks

Stuart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

principle occupants listed for those addresses

31 Blackhall Place
    1914 - numbers skip from 30, P. Burke dairy to 34, Mrs. Dixon
    1917 - M. Boylan
    The same detail for no. 31 in every listing up to 1958
    1962 - Mary Kelly

No. 31 is on the west side of the street, half way between the junctions with Benburb St. and Hendrick place.

37 Blackhall Place
    1914 - John Kenny
    1917 onwards - no.s 32 to 46, listed as '8 cottages' (next to jct with Blackhall St.)

I've have a look for McGee or Magee on the street...

I suspect that maybe No. 31 was divided up in to tenements or flats which would explain why just M. Boylan is listed. I can only find three addresses for Blackhall place on the 1939 Electoral List for the city at the moment - not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hugob268

Shane very many thanks for your quick reply.
    I wonder where they went from there?
    Migrated?

Stuart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

shanew wrote: »
    no sign of a Mr. Monks, unfortunately. Looks like Mary may have already been a widow when she moved to Convent Rd. I dont see any likely male Monks deaths of the right sort of age and timeframe in Rathdown district.

same listing for Convent rd. in 1891 as for 1894. 1885 has a Patrick Curtis at No. 7

Bit of an update - Mary's maiden name was Curtis so that 1885 reference is quite relevant after all.

Also I have a burial record from Glasnevin Trust for a John Monks of 9 Grattan Court which I think may be her husband. Combined with a few other records the picture looks about right though still a bit vague to be able to say for certain.

Could I trouble you again Shane to check Grattan Court for anyone by the name of Monks living there?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I suspect the informant for her death will be her grandchild Margaret, but might be worth checking in case a cert mentions anything useful like an informant, or her 'occupation' in terms of her husband e.g. as 'widow of farmer' etc

Mary's death cert records that her sister Julia Hackett nee Curtis was present at death which has spread new light on the subject.

If everything checks out I might finally be able to say from where my Monks ancestors hailed - namely the south inner city.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm not seeing a street listing for Grattan Court in 1885 - is that the correct timeframe ?

The street index mentions Grattan Court and being off Grattan St., and the street has a listing, although it doesn't mention a junction with the court. Might be too minor a street for a listing at that time...

The 1914 listing shows a Grattan Court but it's the one off Thomas St.

I'm not seeing a street listing for Grattan Court in 1885 - is that the correct timeframe ?

The street index mentions Grattan Court and being off Grattan St., and the street has a listing, although it doesn't mention a junction with the court. Might be too minor a street for a listing at that time...

The 1914 listing shows a Grattan Court but it's the one off Thomas St.

The burial record for John Monks is from 1853.
    I did not know there was a second Grattan Court - I'm assuming that the burial record is referring to the one off Mount Street as this ties in with the other addresses mentioned in the burial record - Bath Avenue, Beggars Bush and Powers Court.
    However it also mentions a Thomas Court - is there a Thomas Court off Mount Street or just the one off Thomas Street me wonders?

EDIT: I can answer my own question as the 1901 Census lists a Thomas Court in South Dock.

Genealogy Forum Mod

this is the Grattan Court mentioned in the street index - off Grattan Street, which runs between Grand Canal Street and Lwr. Mount Street.

They should be different sub-districts of Dublin south on a cert. These changed a little over time but by the mid to late 1800s the Grattan Court near Grand Canal Dock would have been South City No. 4 (East) and the one off Thomas in South City No. 1 (West).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hi not sure if you can help but would love to find out what the street was called that is now constitution hill my father grew up directly across from mc Gowans pub but he doesn't know what the road was called previously which makes it difficult to look up on the census. I know this isn't quite what you are doing here but if you had any idea it would be greatly appreciated.

I think Constitutiuon Hill only goes as far as the bus depot and then it's Phibsborough Road that passes McGowans.

see link

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for that, had a look and I see what you mean he always says constitution hill but that could just be a local thing, I'll try phibsborough road on the 1901 census.

salmocab wrote: »
    Hi not sure if you can help but would love to find out what the street was called that is now constitution hill my father grew up directly across from mc Gowans pub but he doesn't know what the road was called previously which makes it difficult to look up on the census. I know this isn't quite what you are doing here but if you had any idea it would be greatly appreciated.

McGowans appears to be on part of Royal Canal Terrace - here - just at the start of Phibsborough Rd

McGowans appears to be on part of Royal Canal Terrace - here - just at the start of Phibsborough Rd

Thanks can't find them on the census at any of those streets but sure I'll question the aul fella during the week and see if he has any other ideas.

The numbers seem to have stayed the same as they were back in 1910 or so, the Phibsborough Rd. street numbers opposite McGowans, i.e. east-side, are in the 200s, increasing as they go south, running from 211 at Kellys Lane/Phibsborough Place, 222/223 Foster Cottages, 231/232 at the White' lane jct and ending in 240 near the Dominick Street jct.

edit : as a starting point here's Edward Cummins at #238, Phibsborough Rd. (the street number, enumerator reference and directory listing match)

From 1953 J. McGowan is listed as Grocer & Wine Merch. at No.18 Phibsborough Rd., before that the surnames include Cooney (1949), Lawler (1943) and Maguire 1910 & 1911

Thanks again, I had a mooch around and found a kavanagh family on great britain street in 1911 with the right fathers name, Patrick and his children's names include Hugh and Angela which are my dads and aunts name, although this would be his father and aunt but it must be the right family as it would be a strange coincidence if it was a different family with the same names. I'm very interested now as I had a look before but couldn't find anything but I'm sure I'm on the right track. I rang him and he lived in 222A phibsborough road when he was born in 1941. He also claims his grandfather Patrick was interred by the British after the rising and I would love to follow that up as I'm sure half the people in Dublin at the time later made that claim and I'm really not sure if its true would you have any idea where I might look for that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 littlealison

Hello Shane. (Thanks again for previous help!)
    I am now looking for a man called Michael Andrews, ivory turner, in Dublin (most likely) who may be connected with my gggrandfather John Andrews. I've traced him from 1783 to 1820 in available directories, mostly at several addresses in Gt Britain St. At this point he vanishes.
    No birth, marriage or family identified. Or other occupation....

However in 1832, not before that I can find, my gggrandfather appears as an ivory turner - in Gt Britain St.
    I have traced him through directories from birth 1810 to death in 1893, and a Schultz marriage record in 1828.
    If he did an apprenticeship as ivory turner, this would only fit in in 1823-28, as far as I know! Might he have apprenticed to Michael Andrews, a possible relation?

I'm also STILL looking for John's father.......family story he's John as well, only birth found 1810 is Nicholas Andrews.

Just looking for a little more info!

...I am now looking for a man called Michael Andrews, ivory turner, in Dublin (most likely) who may be connected with my gggrandfather John Andrews. I've traced him from 1783 to 1820 in available directories, mostly at several addresses in Gt Britain St. At this point he vanishes....However in 1832, not before that I can find, my gggrandfather appears as an ivory turner - in Gt Britain St....

I dont think I can add anything to the directory entries you've already found, presumably on FMP..

I can see that Michael Andrews Ivory Turner at 171 or 180 Gt;. Britain Street in the early 1800s, but then no sign after abt 1818. I dont see any listing for him before 1812.

I'd a little vary of that 1783 Wilson's directory entry, as there's quite a gap back to it, and no common address or trade, so might possibly be related at some point but wouldn't be at all convinced it's the same Michael as shown in 1812.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 littlealison

I found him as Andres, Michael in 1820....
    I have a big suspicion that the two are related....but maybe will never know.

You could be right about the 1783 record, or he may be older than we think?
    Thanks for having a go anyway Shane!

Perhaps there will be new records online down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Hi Shane

I'm looking for any information you can supply from the directories on 26 Rutland Square, Dublin around 1908. I think it might have been some kind of boarding house or residence for young women.
    Much obliged
    Tenterfields

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ms K Hayes, Superintendents apartments was listed at 26 Rutland Square in the 1908 electoral register:
    http://www.dublinheritage.ie/burgesses/viewdoc.php?burgessid=10137&djvupath=imagefiles&orderby=001288&imagefile=BR.1908.1288.jpg

....I'm looking for any information you can supply from the directories on 26 Rutland Square, Dublin around 1908.

Thom's 1906

26 is on Rutland Sq. North
    Young Women's Christian Association and Home, Miss K. Hayes, lady superintendent

edit : changed to Solicitor dept., Congested District board by 1914

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Kildarefan and Shane
    Many thanks. That answers the question comprehensively.

Shane,

Another one for you to check if you don't mind. I'm wondering who or what was at 90 George's Street South Great in about 1870.

Cheers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    ...Another one for you to check if you don't mind. I'm wondering who or what was at 90 George's Street South Great in about 1870.

1869 : 90 George's Street, Grt. Sth .
    John V. Traynor, brush manuf. and importer - res. Terenure house, Kimmage Road., Roundtown

Roundtown, Kimmage Rd. - Jos. Traynor esq., Terenure villa

That's great Shane. I should have known that but it was late and I didn't make the connection.

Joseph Traynor is father-in-law of my g-g-grandfather Ignatius Moore of Newcastle House.
    John V. Traynor is Joseph's son who took over the running of the family business.
    Family lore had it that Ignatius sailed for South America to seek his fortune and was never heard from again so beyond his marriage and the births of his children I knew very little about him. Recently for pig iron I Googled his name and this website caught my eye. I contacted the person running the site and she sent me two letters from the US consulate in Dublin to the Governor and Mayor of Colorado respectively. The details matched but there was no mention of Newcastle House or anything else that might make the connection definite. Then last night I found an entry in the Irish Newspaper Archive which may be the confirmation I was looking for. An Eliza Moore of 90 George's Street looking for any information on an Ignatius Moore who left Dublin for America in 1865 [American papers please copy].

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Hermy wrote: »
    Then last night I found an entry in the Irish Newspaper Archive which may be the confirmation I was looking for. An Eliza Moore of 90 George's Street looking for any information on an Ignatius Moore who left Dublin for America in 1865 [American papers please copy].

Hermy, what paper was this notice in? Date too, please, if you have it.

• Advertisement

Front page of The Nation 3 Sep 1870.

7frYwA.png

I think it also appeared in another paper but not sure which one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement