Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone decipher name of townland/road pls?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Another court record that I need assistance with.

The accused lived in Ballycran(n)a, parish of Clonbeg, Co. Tipperary and I would like to know where he dumped the heap of dung on the public road:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where was the court? It would narrow down the are to search.

This is what I can make out.
    Selling spirits without licence on the 29th March last

......ling the public frontage(?) of the Road at Babuanaba on the 29th March last by leaving a heap of Dung thereon

Fined sixpence for both

Is this the location (note different spelling)? http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,580696,630175,5,1

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Victor, I believe that it is..
    "Obstructing the public passage of the road at Balin........ on 29th March last by leaving a heap of dung thereon"

The court case took place in Tipperary town in 1856.

Yes the OSI reference is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I'd make that Balinamaloo. I didn't look hard but if I've the right Ballycrana on Google maps, there's a townland just north of it called Knockballymaloogh. Last bit is 'Fined sixpence for costs.'

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Well done, CeannRua, well spotted. Thats it.

many thanks

Advertisement