Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic question about saorview/TV aerial

• 13-12-2013 9:19pm

Hi all,

Just moved into rented house having returned from abroad. Bought a new smart TV but decided we'd just use Saorview & Netflix rather than get a Sky or UPC subscription.

However...the TV can't pick up any channels. I'm doing something very stupid, no doubt - but I haven't a clue exactly what :o

There is a wire coming out of the wall but it had the wrong connection on the end. Local hardware shop sold me an adapter (turning male to female or vice versa) and I plugged in. Still nothing.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to identify the precise nature of my dimness. I will accept all shades of ridicule from anyone who can diagnose the problem. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

The wire coming from the wall could be an old sky/satellite or a U.P.C connection.Did you see any aerial on the chimney of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There is a wire coming out of the wall but it had the wrong connection on the end. Local hardware shop sold me an adapter (turning male to female or vice versa) and I plugged in. Still nothing.

I assume the existing connector is an F-connector used for satellite and maybe cable TV as jjf1974 says above
    F-Connector2.jpg

Rooftop aerial required for Saorview reception with standard co-ax connector at the end of the cable for connecting to the TV.

Switching to Saorview info here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/
    Aerial info here - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Saorview-DTT-October2010.pdf

Thanks folks,

Looks like you are spot on. I've an F-connector coming from the wall but, as far as I can see, no aerial on the roof.

The house is rented so I wonder how much it might cost to get an aerial installed and who should pay?

If I end up having to pay anything more than €100 it'd probably be as cheap to just add UPC's basic TV package.

Thanks a lot for your help. I was never great with this kind of thing and was away for the digital switchover so have a lot of catching up to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Thanks folks,

Looks like you are spot on. I've an F-connector coming from the wall but, as far as I can see, no aerial on the roof.

The house is rented so I wonder how much it might cost to get an aerial installed and who should pay?

If I end up having to pay anything more than €100 it'd probably be as cheap to just add UPC's basic TV package.

Thanks a lot for your help. I was never great with this kind of thing and was away for the digital switchover so have a lot of catching up to do!

If you live in an area where there is a strong signal a proper U.h.f indoor aerial might get you a perfect signal. Ask around the area. I am not sure if the landlord will provide you with an aerial .

Someone suggested I just connect to the UPC box on the wall and see what happens. That gave me a string of analogue channels with poor reception - better than nothing - but no digital signal. I have a UPC wifi subscription but no TV package so probably a bit much to expect to magically get a Saorview signal from them :)

The other wire sticking out of the wall, mentioned in the original post, is indeed connected to a satellite dish on the roof that has been unused for at least five years (landlord asked previous tenants who knows nothing about it).

No idea what to do next. Open to ideas! Otherwise it's Netflix only for Christmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Have you asked the landlord about installing a Saorview aerial?
    You could test a satellite receiver on the satellite dish connection, the LNB on the dish may be OK. You may be able to pick up a Freesat satellite receiver in Maplins before Christmas.

A bit close to Christmas to get much else done now so I guess you're stuck with the analogue cable channels from UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

Depends on where you are in relation to the transmitter but I use a combi box from powercity and an indoor aerial that sits on top of the box that I got in tesco for €13 and it all works fine.

Advertisement