Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

• 09-12-2009 2:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Was watching the 7s action in Dubai on telly.
    All the 6 nations teams were there, the tri-nations, Argentina, 7s regs like Samoa and Fiji, but also teams like Kenya, USA and Zimbabwe.
    But no Ireland.

With 7s getting into the Olympics and Irish rugby currently on a massive high I thought this situation most strange.

Anyone know what the story is?

(Or maybe it's cause Denis McBride retired, lol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

We entered the World Cup last year that contained extremely talented players all of who have played a high standard of rugby, and they got trounced by the might of Zimbabwe.

It should be invested in, it's a great way to develop young players (People like Conway who have a mountain to climb to get into their provinces first XV) just look at some of the players it has produced over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Agree with Stevo we should have a Sevens team.

Scotland have less professional players than us and they have a full time Sevens team. Albeit, I don't know how well they're doing and what players they have helped to develop. Can't do any harm though for young players to travel all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I used to think that we should invest in a 7s team but theres a few things that have changed my mind

1. We have produced our best ever team without any 7s
    2. Where is the money going to come from? A more competitive Connacht team is more important than a 7s

5 aside football and pitch and putt aren't used to produce international players in their sports I dont see why 7s should be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

guapos wrote: »
    I used to think that we should invest in a 7s team but theres a few things that have changed my mind

2. Where is the money going to come from? A more competitive Connacht team is more important than a 7s

5 aside football and pitch and putt aren't used to produce international players in their sports I dont see why 7s should be any different.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Josh Lewsey.
    Paul Sackey.
    Joe Rokocoko.
    Lomu.
    Cullen.
    Eric Rush.
    Any amount of Wallabies.

All came from 7s.

Most of the consistantly successful (which by definition excludes us) unions recognise the 7s game as an effective development for back 3 players.

Also, futsal is actually fairly extensively used to develop young players.
    5-a-side is a training tool. Not to mention the apple vs oranges aspect of that comparison.
    And pitch and putt has no relevance to the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

All great players i agree but i think our back 3 has been developed just fine without playing 7s. Kearney and Fitzgerald wouldn't have got the same amount of playing time for Leinster if they had been off playing 7s and wouldnt be the players they are now. Why spend money on 7s when our best chance of developing young players (Connacht) is under funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

All great players i agree but i think our back 3 has been developed just fine without playing 7s. Kearney and Fitzgerald wouldn't have got the same amount of playing time for Leinster if they had been off playing 7s and wouldnt be the players they are now. Why spend money on 7s when our best chance of developing young players (Connacht) is under funded?

As stevo said, for young guys like Conway, sevens would be invaluable experience for them in their development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

To be fair pretty much all of our wingers are converted fullbacks or centres. The handling of our forwards is also very poor. That's something that can't be fixed by investing in Connacht. 7s would help with those problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

jayteecork wrote: »
    All the 6 nations teams were there, the tri-nations, Argentina, 7s regs like Samoa and Fiji, but also teams like Kenya, USA and Zimbabwe.
    But no Ireland.

So it's either a good idea, or every other rugby playing nation on the planet is wrong.... ;)

Yup - we should have definitely have a 7s team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I really can't see any downside to having a sevens set-up. Its a fabulous way to get players comfortable with the concept of space and creativity, both aspects of the game which are sorely in need of promotion. It builds up stamina and fitness and essentially encourages/promotes the development of the skills which are crucial to the playing of rugby in the modern era.

It also allows players to play in the international arena in high quality fixtures against some seriously high quality opposition. I mean , as I've said before, if Kenya can do it why in the name of God cant we? No excuses, lets get in there and get competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

More players playing rugby in proper competition means more players to choose from for a national side.

And I doubt you will stretch things to thin with having a national sevens team.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Could also be Ireland's best non-boxing shot at a medal at the next Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Could also be Ireland's best non-boxing shot at a medal at the next Olympics.

Or Equestrian. :p

It's madness that we don't have a proper team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

toomevara wrote: »
    I really can't see any downside to having a sevens set-up.

Neither can I. But if, funding wise, its a choice between the strong A team schedule we have and a 7s team, I'f pick the A team schedule every tine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Neither can I. But if, funding wise, its a choice between the strong A team schedule we have and a 7s team, I'f pick the A team schedule every tine.

Absolutely. I'd love to see the 7s team given a little more support but it should come behinf the A team in the hierarchy of player development in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Scotland manage to afford both and their Unions much poorer than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Agree 100%, but for the life of me can't see why it needs to be an either-or.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

Scotland manage to afford both and their Unions much poorer than ours.

They do, and they are poorer BUT they're also 5 places behind us in the world rankings...

Saying that, I think a 7s team would be a great addition to our international representation. Younger lads would love the opportunity to travel the world and play against some of the fastest and most skillful rugby players in the world. The experience they'd gain would be invaluable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

toomevara wrote: »
    Agree 100%, but for the life of me can't see why it needs to be an either-or.

Me neither, but it does seem to be the line constantly trotted out by the IRFU, though I don't know how much merit it has in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Again I dont see why it has to be an either/or situation either.

Repayments for Landsdown road asside, the coffers of the IRFU have surely never been better.

Of course other areas need funding like the A team & Connaught.
    But if Scotland can do it, why cant we!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Again I dont see why it has to be an either/or situation either
    Its not.
    You'll see what is planned for Sevens during the season next year.
    if Scotland can do it, why cant we!
    Scotland: Fewer professional players & staff (development, active and administrative), smaller infrastructure, greater government funding, fully owned and paid-up stadium.

Justind wrote: »
    Its not.
    You'll see what is planned for Sevens during the season next year.

What do you know we dont?

Why spend money on 7s when our best chance of developing young players (Connacht) is under funded?

I totally disagree with the Connaught as nursery arguement.

1) Its taking the piss out of connaught rugby and its supporters/

2) Bar Keatly and the short, short tenure of Flannery there, when has it been done? Why is Felix Jones in Munster not getting his game, if connaught is some breeding ground for talent?

Its a dead rubber IMO.

The other thing about 7's is its frickin great.

IMO far more entertaining than the 15man game as it is stands.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    IMO far more entertaining than the 15man game as it is stands.

I dont know about that now, its a different type or game and provides a different kind of entertainment to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I totally disagree with the Connaught as nursery arguement.

1) Its taking the piss out of connaught rugby and its supporters/

2) Bar Keatly and the short, short tenure of Flannery there, when has it been done? Why is Felix Jones in Munster not getting his game, if connaught is some breeding ground for talent?

Its a dead rubber IMO.

Fionn Car, Cronin, Jackman, McCormack, Des Dillon even Victor Costello have all beneffited from playing with Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

Was watching the 7s action in Dubai on telly.
    But no Ireland.

With 7s getting into the Olympics and Irish rugby currently on a massive high I thought this situation most strange.

Anyone know what the story is?

(Or maybe it's cause Denis McBride retired, lol)
    still no policy from the irfu regarding entering 7s in 2016 olympics
    hong kong 7s coming up every rugby nation repesented
    we need to prepare now...we are sleeping just like the th prop situation
    alex cuthbert has come from the 7s in wales..irish rugby deserve a chance at olympic selection..suits wake up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

still no policy from the irfu regarding entering 7s in 2016 olympics
    hong kong 7s coming up every rugby nation repesented
    we need to prepare now...we are sleeping just like the th prop situation
    alex cuthbert has come from the 7s in wales..irish rugby deserve a chance at olympic selection..suits wake up
    Its not only the top brass in IRFU who need to wake up, its the provincial and regional youths and schools committees who need to do something

provincial and all ireland clubs and schools competitions would be great additions to season either at the start of the season before the leagues start up or at the end of the season after the youths cups to end the underage rugby year

Market them and turn finals into big day out, could be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ormond lad wrote: »
    Its not only the top brass in IRFU who need to wake up, its the provincial and regional youths and schools committees who need to do something

provincial and all ireland clubs and schools competitions would be great additions to season either at the start of the season before the leagues start up or at the end of the season after the youths cups to end the underage rugby year

Market them and turn finals into big day out, could be a great idea

Theres actually a schools 7s tournament on tomorrow in Terenure featuring all the big teams in Leinster.

http://umbrella7s.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was my understanding that there are club sevens tournaments in Ireland just that they tend to run after the 15's season has ended, not concurrently.

Advertisement