Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

selling house with no planning

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a query I hope some people on here may be able to offer some advice on. My elderly aunt lives in the country and lost her husband a year ago. She has now decided that she wants to move closer to town near my cousin’s family. As such, she is deciding to sell her home. However, my cousin told me that the house she lives in does not have planning permission (well, it received planning permission circa 1970, but it was built quite differently to the drawings and in a different part of the field). How will she go about this? My cousin says she will have to lodge a retention application for the whole house, but she is terrified there is a chance the council will tell her to knock her home of over 40 years. How might she go about selling her home, and what is the story with land registry maps, etc? Apologies for the lengthy post, but some very simple advice would be really helpful!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

ruskin wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a query I hope some people on here may be able to offer some advice on. My elderly aunt lives in the country and lost her husband a year ago. She has now decided that she wants to move closer to town near my cousin’s family. As such, she is deciding to sell her home. However, my cousin told me that the house she lives in does not have planning permission (well, it received planning permission circa 1970, but it was built quite differently to the drawings and in a different part of the field). How will she go about this? My cousin says she will have to lodge a retention application for the whole house, but she is terrified there is a chance the council will tell her to knock her home of over 40 years. How might she go about selling her home, and what is the story with land registry maps, etc? Apologies for the lengthy post, but some very simple advice would be really helpful!

You will not need to go for planning retention for a house built in the 1970's. Your aunt show speak to the solicitor who will deal with the sale on her behalf for piece of mind.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kkelliher wrote: »
    You will not need to go for planning retention for a house built in the 1970's. Your aunt show speak to the solicitor who will deal with the sale on her behalf for piece of mind.

??? please expand.

My first impressions is that she definitely would require permission to retain, if it cannot be shown that the conditions of the initial permission were complied with.

However, she definitely cannot be asked to knock her house, the statute of limitations has well passed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

The one thing I'm fairly sure of is that she will most definitely have to have the site and house surveyed and a planning retention application lodged by an architect/engineer.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ??? please expand.

My first impressions is that she definitely would require permission to retain, if it cannot be shown that the conditions of the initial permission were complied with.

However, she definitely cannot be asked to knock her house, the statute of limitations has well passed.

This is the crux of my position. It may be unauthorized development but as the statute has passed and no enforcement can be applied. The building control act only came in in 1992 so again this is after the property was built.

This is the crux of my position. It may be unauthorized development but as the statute has passed and no enforcement can be applied. The building control act only came in in 1992 so again this is after the property was built.

this doesnt matter in the case of trying to sell the house.
    It must be regularised in order for a sale to happen.

• Advertisement

this doesnt matter in the case of trying to sell the house.
    It must be regularised in order for a sale to happen.

This is not correct. Some people may decide not to proceed with the sale due to this which is their right but I do not believe (I am open to correction) there is any legislation that requires it to be corrected?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

People often fear what the Council may "do" to them if they do not have consents.
    They should fear more what lenders will NOT "do" in such cases- which is lend.

RITwing wrote: »
    People often fear what the Council may "do" to them if they do not have consents.
    They should fear more what lenders will NOT "do" in such cases- which is lend.

Completely agree but I would be very surprised if a lender refused to lend on a property built 40 years ago with or without planning. Where would they stop? Given anything build pre 63 does not have planning and given it cannot in any way have enforcement action against it, how is it an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Subsequent owners would not be permitted to carry out any development on the house (eg add a conservatory) without applying for retention. No bank is likely to offer a mortgage for an unauthorised development, even if the 7-yr statute of limitations has passed.

This is not correct. Some people may decide not to proceed with the sale due to this which is their right but I do not believe (I am open to correction) there is any legislation that requires it to be corrected?

im sorry but what i said IS correct

in order for a sale to happen it (the unauthorised development) must be regularised.

If not any prospective purchaser will be taking the risk on themselves.

Its not that there are no other consequences of having unauthorised development on site

1. no valid planning application can be made on a site where there is unauthorised development
    2. you cannot secure finance on the property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

im sorry but what i said IS correct

in order for a sale to happen it (the unauthorised development) must be regularised.

Its not that there are no other consequences of having unauthorised development on site

1. no valid planning application can be made on a site where there is unauthorised development

A solicitor would advise against it but if its a cash purpose nothing legally stopping it. The new owners could apply for the retention further down the line if needed.

Completely agree but I would be very surprised if a lender refused to lend on a property built 40 years ago with or without planning. Where would they stop? Given anything build pre 63 does not have planning and given it cannot in any way have enforcement action against it, how is it an issue?

anything pre 63 is considered to have planning "by default" as it existed before planning regulations.
    However, it is actually quite onerous to secure mortgages on these properties.
    Banks do not like any property which doesnt have independent certification applied.... similar to how they dont like financing half build houses.

How can it be correct when first you say this

and then contradict it with this

My point was simply that there is no legal requirement on them to regularise.

I agree completely with this but that did not form part of the OP's query as it would be an issue for any perspective purchaser and not her aunt

You appear to be stating this as a fact which I know is not to be the case having being involved with many many clients who have purchased properties exactly like this issue and who in the main all (i recall 1 did not as the property was built in the late 1990's and did not resemble the original planning grant in any way whatsoever) got finance from a bank.

I do not for a second agree that the OP's Aunt should not regularise the issue, but the query was about her fear of it being knocked down which is simply not the case

A solicitor would advise against it but if its a cash purpose nothing legally stopping it. The new owners could apply for the retention further down the line if needed.

agree completely and this was the point i was making

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Typically in the ops case, they would be best to apply for retention as the likelihood is that any sale will be stalled until retention is obtained.
    It is possible that the buyer would go ahead regardless but imo you would have a 1 in 5 chance of it going through depending on whether it's a cash buyer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my housr and the few others near me are roughly 70 years old.
    two of them went on the market in the past year.
    each one had had extensions built onto the back. both without planning permission at the time (probably mid to late 70).

Both of them had to get planning retention before the sales could go through.

well lets just say im referring to proper procedure and due diligence and not "the oirish way".

Solicitors are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

well lets just say im referring to proper procedure and due diligence and not "the oirish way".

Solicitors are not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination.

Syd, I couldn't agree more

it would be an issue for any perspective purchaser and not her aunt

In practical terms this becomes the same thing.
    There are many threads here where prospective purchasers in this circumstance are correctly advised to walk away from a purchase.
    The buyers problem is in fact truly the sellers problem.

OP your relative needs to find a cash buyer ready to accept the situation as it is
    - or obtain retention

• Advertisement

OP your relative needs to find a cash buyer ready to accept the situation as it is
    - or obtain retention

You wouldn't believe some of the compliance certs I've seen issued and accepted by banks in some cases for properties that were being purchased.
    One such cert contained a note that said no opinion was being offered on planning condition no 1. That is the condition that states the the property must be constructed in compliance with drawings and documents submitted. I was acting for the purchaser in that case and advised that the cert imo wasnt worth the paper it was written on but solicitors didn't have a major problem with it.

mickdw - how recently did you see such practice?
    During the boom it was "anything goes" - but not recently I assume ?

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated, looks like theres no chance of the house being knocked! If she goes for retention though, will a percolation test thing have to be done and submitted with it? The plumbing has been perfect as long as I remember!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

! If she goes for retention though, will a percolation test thing have to be done and submitted with it!
    septic tank/existing percolation will be inspected by a qualified engineer and a report prepared for the council. This is standard stuff as part of any retention application.

BryanF wrote: »
    septic tank/existing percolation will be inspected by a qualified engineer and a report prepared for the council. This is standard stuff as part of any retention application.

thanks brian!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated, looks like theres no chance of the house being knocked! If she goes for retention though, will a percolation test thing have to be done and submitted with it? The plumbing has been perfect as long as I remember!

You retain the percolation area also. It will all be just a formality and the house will never get knocked. I even know of a guy who built a house in 2005 in different place on his site, changed the house and moved the perc area and his retention sailed through. A house built in the 70s will sail through as well even with defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

duckcfc wrote: »
    You retain the percolation area also. It will all be just a formality and the house will never get knocked. I even know of a guy who built a house in 2005 in different place on his site, changed the house and moved the perc area and his retention sailed through. A house built in the 70s will sail through as well even with defects.

I know a house built in 2000, and it's in the wrong place on the site, driveway and gate in the wrong place (vis-à-vis PP), but it has changed hands twice since. Nobody in legal/PP/banks seem to be bothered.

If a guy walks up to your door with a suitcase full of cash, there is no legal impediment to you accepting it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know a house built in 2000, and it's in the wrong place on the site, driveway and gate in the wrong place (vis-à-vis PP), but it has changed hands twice since. Nobody in legal/PP/banks seem to be bothered.

If a guy walks up to your door with a suitcase full of cash, there is no legal impediment to you accepting it.

mostly likely that dwelling has a cert of compliance which may be qualified to include those issues.

Incompetent or uncaring solicitors will allow sales with these certs, good solicitors will not.

the guy with the bag of cash is only taking ownership of someone elses problems.

mickdw - how recently did you see such practice?
    During the boom it was "anything goes" - but not recently I assume ?

2 months ago.
    It was for a house that had been build partially in the boom. Taken by bank, bought by cowboy builder and finished then put on the market. The cert was completed by an architect on a visual inspection basis on completion and had no input into the build.
    From what I see, the only change from boom to now is that the banks are only lending to more secure persons, not alot of change in regard to certification requirements.

Another case, I surveyed and reported that I was not satisfied as to the structural condition of the property and advised further investigation re posible pyrite issues.
    Buyer foolishly went ahead anyway and the bank issued the funds. Seems they simply sent a driveby valuer much like during the boom and he gave the ok.
    I had to cover my ass there alittle getting confirmation back through their solicitor that they were aware of what i had highlighted and we're going ahead of their own accord.

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9hJVa83UXksBRIWEMS14Gc5ClC87jYQE6aL-zB2Mr0_dKe5w2

Advertisement