Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, you're officially long term unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Well i have qualifications and found it hard to find work still. So i took an oppertunity when it came up, I was asked to do the job im in now...can't you understand that? Rather than being a number on the dole i took my job...paid tomorrow now as well :)

You generalised , you called people lazy slobs and described then as cancers can you understand how insulting that is ?.

Paid tomorrow as well ? good lad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

mattjack wrote: »
    You generalised , you called people lazy slobs and described then as cancers can you understand how insulting that is ?.

Paid tomorrow as well ? good lad .

Yes i did generalise long term unemployed people (people who refused to work during the boom) what is wrong with that, These people contribute nothing to society...if you can't see that logic then i presume that either you or some of your family members fall into that bracket..:)

Yes i did generalise long term unemployed people (people who refused to work during the boom) what is wrong with that, These people contribute nothing to society...if you can't see that logic then i presume that either you or some of your family members fall into that bracket..:)

That reply doesn't even warrant a response.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Treat looking for a job like your job.

When I was unemployed and on the dole, I "worked" for 8-10 hours a day, looking at advertisements, inquiring, tailoring my CV, composing cover letters specific to each job, researching jobs and starting the whole cycle again. I regarded my dole as my "pay". So I guess I applied a work ethic to job-hunting. I can categorically say I wouldn't have got my job if I hadn't done this because you just have to be dogged and hawk-eyed these days. And don't be afraid to inquire. The job I got needed an MSc, I only have a bachelors. I emailed asking for some papers that I couldn't access online to see what the lab was all about. I guess it made me stick out in their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I was made redundant on March 12th 2009 after being in work since I finished college in 2007.

Lehmann Brothers collapsed in Oct 2008 and with all the changes that happened in work after that, a lot of us had a good idea that redundancies were coming. Free teas coffee's no longer allowed, free lunches gone no more fruit etc.

The company I worked for were good to me though and I was allowed used the office, computers, internet and printing to look for work in the lead up to redundancy.

The last two weeks I was told I didnt have to turn up but I came in every morning for 8:30 and spent all day applying for jobs.
    I applied for over 300 jobs in two and a half weeks.

When the 12th came and went I continued working on applications from Home.
    There were two glorious weeks of sun in end of march and I used the time to meet other unemployeed friends for tea in the afternoons and walks in the Pheonix park, that way we were able to keep each other motivated.

In all the applications I sent out, I got four responses from real people, I managed to get two interviews and got a job that stared on the 3rd of April.

With in six weeks of starting I was asked if I wanted to work with a cleint in Abu-Dhabi, I said why not and on the 16th of May I flew to Abu-Dhabi and started work there for the rest of the year and until Feb 2010.

I feel really lucky to have gotten a job but it took lots of hard work and dismissing any rejection from my thoughts, its tough to stay positive but it can be done and with enough hard work, luck will be on you side.

I've been in work every day since and changed Jobs last September for a better position. I do feel lucky about it especially on horrible mornings when I'm soaked from the cycle into work. I think I have no right to be pissed off as there are so many people in the country who are struggling and here am I employeed.

Best of luck to anyone out of work, its not easy but with enough hard work at job applications and the right attitude things can change very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just finished a part time degree, did a fas course in the meantime, applied for countless jobs, some volunteer work, some chugging very briefly. Its the longest time i have been unemployed. Heading overseas soon now I am finished college methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was long term unemployed, made redundant in 2009 just as I went on maternity leave. I was bored at home so started doing some volunteer work when my baby turned one and after 6 months of that got offered a job with them.

I was just lucky I was in the right place at the right time though, I know people who are slogging it out doing interviews and sending out cvs and getting nothing back.

Its pretty soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

yore wrote: »
    You've been a year on the dole for over a year.....so what the f$#@ have you done about it?

Not much, I've been too busy being balls deep in Monica Bellucci for the past twelve months.

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

My anxiety has screwed me over in terms of getting a job,because I was limiting what I was applying for for a long time. Now i'm so long graduated from college I can't get a paid job in my field. Looking unlikely i'll get an unpaid job in it either. In any job I do I do it 100% but you don't get the chance when all employers see is a gap in your cv. I've started tutorials online so I can keep my mind in the area.

I didn't want to take on volunteer work before because most stuff requires you to commit a minimum time,and I thought well what if I get a job in the meantime. But i've done one collection day already,and am going to go for more things that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Its not as if you can say you didn't have the time to iron out that gap or anything.....

If an employer receives 200 cv's for 2 or 3 jobs, they have the absolute right to pick only the very very best for that spot.

Its harsh, but if you're not willing to plump out the extra effort, then you will lose out on the spot to someone who was willing!

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Its not as if you can say you didn't have the time to iron out that gap or anything.....

If an employer receives 200 cv's for 2 or 3 jobs, they have the absolute right to pick only the very very best for that spot.

Its harsh, but if you're not willing to plump out the extra effort, then you will lose out on the spot to someone who was willing!

Was that directed at me?

Well for much of that time I didn't have the choice.

My anxiety has screwed me over in terms of getting a job,because I was limiting what I was applying for for a long time. Now i'm so long graduated from college I can't get a paid job in my field. Looking unlikely i'll get an unpaid job in it either. In any job I do I do it 100% but you don't get the chance when all employers see is a gap in your cv. I've started tutorials online so I can keep my mind in the area.

I didn't want to take on volunteer work before because most stuff requires you to commit a minimum time,and I thought well what if I get a job in the meantime. But i've done one collection day already,and am going to go for more things that I can.

whats a collection day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Yes i did generalise long term unemployed people (people who refused to work during the boom) what is wrong with that, These people contribute nothing to society.
    Do you think we should shoot them? (shoot me while you're at it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Do you think we should shoot them? (shoot me while you're at it) :)

Not shoot them, but rather cut them off from support.

There is a difference between "here's some help to get you back on your feet support" and "here's free money for life you leech!"

Support those needing support, let the wasters and leechs starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

but with nothing to loose they will gun society down and end up in prison costing even more money and compromising social security

mattjack wrote: »
    whats a collection day ?

It's a day where a charity gets volunteers to go out with buckets to get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not shoot them, but rather cut them off from support.

There is a difference between "here's some help to get you back on your feet support" and "here's free money for life you leech!"

At what point does someone who loses a job become a "leech"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

eviltwin wrote: »
    At what point does someone who loses a job become a "leech"

someone who has not worked in years, during the boom and continue's not to work or look for work is a leech...this country seems to reward lazy slobish people, it's unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Midget, you need to stop watching TV3:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

phasers wrote: »
    I had 4 kids

I told you Phasers, up the bum no harm done. Now you've ruined yourself

• Advertisement

someone who has not worked in years, during the boom and continue's not to work or look for work is a leech...this country seems to reward lazy slobish people, it's unreal...

well yeah most would probably agree that those types are leeches, but what's that got to do with this thread?

It's a day where a charity gets volunteers to go out with buckets to get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I need to find a job that will pay my bills and a part time degree, just finishing my first degree which was a great experience but only would of got me work if I did a masters and got some skills that make me employable, ah maybe I can work in my creative industry and the project management will turn into something eh probably not.

Not looking forward to a possible year on the dole at 100 a week going to deplete my modest savings from the last 5 years just to survive, oh but I'll find something right? I left school in 2008 I have no work experience and a creative degree and I can't move abroad feeling very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Everyone thought you were on about fingers ffs! :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

saa wrote: »
    I need to find a job that will pay my bills and a part time degree, just finishing my first degree which was a great experience but only would of got me work if I did a masters and got some skills that make me employable, ah maybe I can work in my creative industry and the project management will turn into something eh probably not.

Not looking forward to a possible year on the dole at 100 a week going to deplete my modest savings from the last 5 years just to survive, oh but I'll find something right? I left school in 2008 I have no work experience and a creative degree and I can't move abroad feeling very low.

thats what ya get for choosing a hobby type degree lol

dunno why grants are available for courses that dont really do much for getting jobs. Humanities being one such pointless degree course. Sure it might be interesting but as a hobby not a career choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

kfallon wrote: »

Everyone thought you were on about fingers ffs! :rolleyes:

:pac:

You and your chocolate starfish stained fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

From what I've learned, apparently all long-term unemployed people spend most of their time fornicating to have more children in order to get a bigger council house.
    They do take occasional breaks from this work by going on sun holidays.

Just to clarify; the above was meant to be a joke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you had a job you'd have been in bed hours ago. Go learn a language or something ya bum!

Ha. I have a job thanks. I happen to be in a different time-zone. I posted here before at a time which would have been around 3am Irish time and somebody responded within 2 minutes trying to slag me for being a loser and being online at "3am" or something. I think the irony of the fact, that it was he and not I who was posting at 3am, was lost upon him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

yore wrote: »
    Ha. I have a job thanks. I happen to be in a different time-zone. I posted here before at a time which would have been around 3am Irish time and somebody responded within 2 minutes trying to slag me for being a loser and being online at "3am" or something. I think the irony of the fact, that it was he and not I who was posting at 3am, was lost upon him

What time is it there now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

for me it was like this

apply for jobs
    wait
    get automated response email acknowledging receiving your applications
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait

as you can see thats pretty soul destroying when companies don't actually send you a personal response.

in the end i took an internship just to get out of the house

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Have you done anything to put yourself further up the queue? You've applied for 12 jobs. Never heard back. 12 people have gotton those jobs. You haven't. If you keep doing the same thing over, and it's not working, you can't expect to be getting a different result.
    I'm not picking on you. Fair play for trying. Lots of people don't bother. But the purpose of the thread was not simply "How hard are you trying to find a job". It was more subtle than that. I'm asking what have you done/learned in the meantime to add to your skill set to make you stand out?
    You said that the recruitment company asked you a few times to update your CV. Which would lead me to believe that it hadn't been changed in a while. When you are applying for a job, you should always tailor your CV and cover letter for that job. That doesn't mean lying. It just means putting more emphasis the relevant points. You may have won a medal at the U16 community games and gotten an A1 in accountancy in the Leaving. If you are applying for a job in an office doing payroll, you might want to place emphasis on the accountancy result and not bother putting in your medal. Whereas if you were applying for a position in the local gym, they probably don't give a sh1te about your exact grade in Accountancy for the Leaving, but might be interested in the fact that you were/are an athlete.
    I did have in mind a video from one of Vincent Browne's shows a few months back. I'll try and find it later maybe and post it. Only on a quick break here!
    Yore wrote:
    And I'm not asking how many times you forwarded your standard CV and cover letter onto various employers.

Advertisement