Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hills today - 15 minutes easy up the road, 8x 30 sec reps at Bohernabreena, 15 minutes easy home. Had to squeeze this run in because I'd a hair appointment at 3 and possible plans for later. Reps weren't as painful as last week because I was controlling the pace a bit more. Ended up with a mini-tempo at the end too when I realised that I had 18 minutes to run the last 1km, have a shower and get down to the hairdresser. :eek: Managed it though, and my hair now looks significantly better than it did a few hours ago. :)

Anyway - 3.8 miles @ 9.20/mile average pace.

Long run today, aim was 70 minutes easy. Did 12km (7.46 miles) in just over 1:13 (9.49/mile average pace). Windy as hell this afternoon, which made it feel tougher than it should have been. Pretty happy to get it done though - longest run since Barcelona. :)

Mileage for week: 27.7 miles / 6 runs
    Total for year: 418.3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Virtual high five on you longest run post Barca

Have you tried that new Lindt with sea salt or something? I think that may be the one i dont fancy touching. Saw it as i picked up the usual today

Haven't tried it yet. No harm in giving it a try though!

Bloody hell, you leave just over a day between runs and you're in the middle of page 4... things are busy around here! :eek:

Plan for this evening - 50 minutes easy. Did just over 8km / 5 miles at 9.50/mile average pace. Firhouse Road was disgusting this evening, so much wind and rain rolling off the mountains it felt like running with someone firing a Super Soaker into my face. Still glad to get the run in though, need to HTFU about running in the rain!

Got a rather silly comment from some of the local shallow end of the gene pool though - "Keep running in the rain missus, I like a wet t-shirt" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Got a rather silly comment from some of the local shallow end of the gene pool though - "Keep running in the rain missus, I like a wet t-shirt" :eek:

You should have said "So do I!" :pac:

Plan for today was 15 mins easy, 20 minutes tempo, 15 minutes easy. Headed out to the track with the usual suspects for this, didn't fancy having the faster bit interrupted every 5 minutes by having to cross roads! Did 15 easy, 20 tempo and a slightly longer cooldown than intended because I was coming to the end of my planned cooldown at roughly the same time as others were starting theirs. Overall 6.65 miles / 10.7km at 9.17/mile average pace, tempo bits were at between 8.30 and 8.50/mile pace. Pretty happy with that overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Seems like you're back in one piece missus, can almost taste that frothy pint in Cork now, Oh wait that's the one I have in my hand :rolleyes:

Not quite there yet. Still building a base again, and don't have much in the way of sharpness yet. Donore will tell me a lot.

• Advertisement

Pilates this evening, last of the 6 classes I've paid for. Need to decide now whether to splash the cash for more or not. It's decent core work, and I definitely do think it's helping me. Thing is, I don't think the teacher is a good fit for me what with her being very much the hippy-dippy type (details given a couple of weeks ago :pac: ) - I think I'd prefer a class taught by someone slightly more pragmatic. Time to have a good think about that.

In other news, this thread on the US Runner's World forums cracked me right up. Apparently something which very strongly resembles a vibrator is great for ITB problems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Come to my classes!

Come to my classes!

Only if you're in Dublin! :pac:

On the plan for tonight - 50 minutes with 6x100m strides. Done and dusted - 8.7km / 5.46 miles covered in total at 9.34/mile average pace. Strides at the end really loosened things out and I feel feckin' great now. Was a bit melancholy during the run though, started thinking mid-run about how much speed and fitness I've lost as a result of this injury and I really wasn't liking where that train of thought was going. Donore's going to be like getting back on a bike after a big crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

This km thing is catching :D
    great running of late btw

40 minutes easy planned for tonight, done and dusted. 6.81km / 4.23 miles @ 9.36/mile average pace. Pretty tired this evening, but that's more down to the fact that it's Friday than anything else. I was 10 minutes away from getting out of work at 5.30 today when a guy on another team thought he found a massive bug in what I test... ended up being a false alarm, thankfully. I don't like panic at the end of the working week!

Hills tomorrow, and the weather forecast is for strong wind rolling down off the mountains. Fun times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Woddle wrote: »
    This km thing is catching :D
    great running of late btw

Jebas, first we had the Splitters, then the Sunday Splitters..... We now potentially have the Metric Splitters :eek:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jebas, first we had the Splitters, then the Sunday Splitters..... We now potentially have the Metric Splitters :eek:

People's Front of Judaea, Judaean People's Front... :cool:

Hills today - easy run up the hill to Bohernabreena Church, 6x45 sec hill reps, easy run down. The extra 15 seconds on the rep really makes a difference, that hill really feels like it gets much steeper the further up it you go... and the Dublin Mountain Super Soaker weather (strong headwind and rain) didn't help either :pac: Still pretty happy with the session though.

Total distance covered 6.68km / 4.15 miles - average moving pace 9.45/mile.

Soaker weather (strong headwind and rain) didn't help either :pac:

Ah go on ourra da! You're bulletproof missus.

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    You're bulletproof missus.
    If I was bulletproof I wouldn't get injured this often :p

If I was bulletproof I wouldn't get injured this often :p

Bulletproof now!

Planned for today - 70 minutes easy. Did 12km / 7.46 miles today at 9.54/mile average pace. Looking at the paces on my Garmin log makes it really obvious where I was running in and out of the wind, was trying to keep it a consistent effort but paces range from 9.35ish/mile to well outside 10 min/mile! Thankfully the rain stayed away for the duration of my run. :)

Week: 32.9 miles - first 30+ week post-Barcelona :D

Would like also to mention a certain text from a certain person (who will remain anonymous) yesterday evening. "Oh when the saints go marchin in :)" - Talk about counting your chickens before they were hatched :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great running this weekend... and for braving that wind! Once this marathon is done and dusted, I'll have to join you for some hill reps!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Great running this weekend... and for braving that wind! Once this marathon is done and dusted, I'll have to join you for some hill reps!

Might actually start putting that session up on the group training sessions thread, I'm sure there are a few other people around who might like to have their legs burnt by that hill :)

Plan for this evening - 50 minutes easy. Did 8.05km / 5.01 miles at 10.08/mile average pace. Slow, but pace is really irrelevant when half the run is into a wind as strong as what it is today (and I wasn't exactly feeling full of energy today because I slept really badly last night). Still miles in the bank anyway! Intervals tomorrow at the track.

Intervals at UCD track today, with menopause, claralara and digger. Plan was 4x200, 1x600, 2x400 (200m jog recoveries) + 15 min easy warm-up and cooldown.

Splits for 200s:
    1:25 (310m, dunno how that happened)
    0:52
    0:53
    0:54

600m:
    2:57 (way slower than the intended 2:45! :( )

400m:
    1:51

Followed this up with quite a decent amount (nearly 5km!) of easy-paced cooling down. Total distance covered 10.37km. Good to get some intervals in, but I am now rather worried about Saturday! No zip in my legs at all, feels like I've lost so much sharpness since I've been injured. Back in January I was doing 10x400m sessions with all the reps faster than those 1:51s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Intervals at UCD track today, with menopause, claralara and digger. Plan was 4x200, 1x600, 2x400 (200m jog recoveries) + 15 min easy warm-up and cooldown.

Splits for 200s:
    1:25 (310m, dunno how that happened)
    0:52
    0:53
    0:54

600m:
    2:57 (way slower than the intended 2:45! :( )

400m:

Followed this up with quite a decent amount (nearly 5km!) of easy-paced cooling down. Total distance covered 10.37km. Good to get some intervals in, but I am now rather worried about Saturday! No zip in my legs at all, feels like I've lost so much sharpness since I've been injured. Back in January I was doing 10x400m sessions with all the reps faster than those 1:51s...

I wouldnt stress about the times too much. Your 600 was bit slower than intended but the 200s were also quicker than planned which is something you need to take into account and the wind was prob a factor.
    Just get out and enjoy the race on Sat plenty of time to be chasing times and "sharpness" you are still in very early stages of your come back so dont worry and just give it a lash. The race itself will help bring you on leaps and bounds

I'll be on the hill with the mini slows to cheer you on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good luck at the weekend RK and enjoy your first race back from injury, the time will look after itself.

Advertisement