Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I get off early?

Options
  • 18-12-2014 5:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

If I have the return part of a ticket from Sligo to Dublin can i get off in Carrick on Shannon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

You can get off at whatever stop you like as long as the bus/train stops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kidneyfan wrote: »
    If I have the return part of a ticket from Sligo to Dublin can i get off in Carrick on Shannon?

Not if the Sligo fare is cheaper. There is a specific rule for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

kidneyfan wrote: »

I can not see why not, one driver on the Donegal Bus said to me why the % euro offer was on that as long as you get on in Dublin you can pretty much get off anywhere, it does not work the otherway, this was the 5 euro end to end offer, I was going to Ballyshannon. So I could get on in and Dublin and off in Ballyshannon but the Ticket machine could not do it the other way round. He said you had paid to Donegal I could get off anywhere along the way, He also said if you had a return ticket from say Donegal you could get on anywher on the way to Dublin you liked as you had paid all the way from Donegal anyway. You just can not break you journey and complete it later. Hope thats clear and best of luck in your journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Well the reason why not is clear but I paid the full fare unfortunately so in this case it does not arise. Thanks lads.
    CVH24 wrote: »
    I can not see why not, one driver on the Donegal Bus said to me why the % euro offer was on that as long as you get on in Dublin you can pretty much get off anywhere, it does not work the otherway, this was the 5 euro end to end offer, I was going to Ballyshannon. So I could get on in and Dublin and off in Ballyshannon but the Ticket machine could not do it the other way round. He said you had paid to Donegal I could get off anywhere along the way, He also said if you had a return ticket from say Donegal you could get on anywher on the way to Dublin you liked as you had paid all the way from Donegal anyway. You just can not break you journey and complete it later. Hope thats clear and best of luck in your journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Well the reason why not is clear but I paid the full fare unfortunately so in this case it does not arise. Thanks lads.
    CVH24 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You just can not break you journey and complete it later.

Yes you can with Irish Rail provided you purchased a walk up ticket. You must complete the journey during the same day or the first service the following day where the timetable didn't allow full completion on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Break of journey is allowed in very limited circumstances also on Bus Eireann:
    Break of journey is not permitted except at interchange points for completion of journey by another bus on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Nobody can stop you getting off a bus or train if it stops at an intermediate stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not if the Sligo fare is cheaper. There is a specific rule for this.

This only applies on the train. Bus fares are a bit more flexible.

Advertisement