Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

• 07-08-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

... and a live action series set within the Marvel universe.

http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-signed-the-avengers-2/
    Breaking news:  It was just announced on the Walt Disney Investors Conference Call that Joss Whedon will return for The Avengers sequel. Whedon is signed to both write and direct the upcoming sequel. Disney confirmed that Whedon is also involved in the development of the previously-rumored long-lead ABC live-action television series which will be set inside the Marvel cinematic universe.

Whedon had previously said that he was “very torn” about coming back:

“It’s an enormous amount of work telling what is ultimately somebody else’s story, even though I feel like I did get to put myself into it. But at the same time, I have a bunch of ideas, and they all seem really cool.”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fun game: if you replace every mention of 'The Avengers' with 'Serenity' in the OP, it reads like the best news ever!

As I've mentioned before, I was no big fan of The Avengers (seemingly part of the 1%), but hopefully Whedon will have settled in a bit more for a sequel and will build upon the promise shown during the film's second act particularly. If there's one thing I'd like to see it's a less excessive, more imaginative action climax. Give the colourful, charismatic team something other than characterless alien enemies to fight off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Screw the film, that's a foregone conclusion and will print money for the studio, the more intriguing prospect is the TV series. A TV show set in the films universe - and I presume focusing on SHIELDs activities - would have a fairly broad scope & plenty of room for manoeuvre given the comics massive back-catalogue of B-list characters not quite good enough for cinema. Bring it on I say: superheroes have never really worked on the small-screen, have they? (Batman cartoons notwithstanding). The last effort was The Cape, which I believe wasn't the may-west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

pixelburp wrote: »
    Screw the film, that's a foregone conclusion and will print money for the studio, the more intriguing prospect is the TV series. A TV show set in the films universe - and I presume focusing on SHIELDs activities - would have a fairly broad scope & plenty of room for manoeuvre given the comics massive back-catalogue of B-list characters not quite good enough for cinema. Bring it on I say: superheroes have never really worked on the small-screen, have they (Batman cartoons notwithstanding).

Heroes season 1 was excellent imo, went downhill quite quickly though.
    Smallville, the old Wonder Woman series and the old Batman were all popular (if not always high quality) plus various animated shows (batman, xmen etc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heroes was good!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah Heroes season 1 was great but from the get go of the second season it was terrible and I lost interest fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ceegee wrote: »
    Heroes season 1 was excellent imo, went downhill quite quickly though.
    Smallville, the old Wonder Woman series and the old Batman were all popular (if not always high quality) plus various animated shows (batman, xmen etc)

I dunno, I still maintain the first half of Heroes Series 1 was pretty woeful.

Superhero shows are not that common in any case, and I'd also argue that Heroes / Smallville (from what I saw of it) wasn't the kind of 'true' superhero TV show I'm thinking of here; in sense of a world where costumed superheroes fly about and save the day overtly & in the public eye, ala The Avengers.

Heroes (and latterly, Alphas) try to play them as something mysterious, covert or misunderstood, but an unabashed superhero TV show is a rare breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'm hoping Whedon gets a little more freedom with the sequel (not saying he didn't have any for the original, but it was fairly formulaic). Still, if we must have more Avengers, I'd rather he was involved than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fun game: if you replace every mention of 'The Avengers' with 'Serenity' in the OP, it reads like the best news ever!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

As I've mentioned before, I was no big fan of The Avengers (seemingly part of the 1%), but hopefully Whedon will have settled in a bit more for a sequel and will build upon the promise shown during the film's second act particularly. If there's one thing I'd like to see it's a less excessive, more imaginative action climax. Give the colourful, charismatic team something other than characterless alien enemies to fight off.

I want to give you a thumbs up for the first part of your comment but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole Avengers movie so I cant bring myself to give it to you! (the thumbs up that is).

Yeah a better nemesis would be good and by the short at the end of the credits its very likely but as it stands, Avengers for me was so far the best movie of the year and any news that Whedon is willing to go at it again is fantastic in my book, and that he is gonna both write AND direct it... I'm very excited.

Now to avoid any and all forthcoming news until opening day!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

superheroes have never really worked on the small-screen, have they?

*ahem*

280px-TIHcredits.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard rumours about scarlett witch and quicksilver being planned for this but are they not with Fox sense they're pretty much x-men?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Heard rumours about scarlett witch and quicksilver being planned for this but are they not with Fox sense they're pretty much x-men?

Kevin Feige has actually spoken about it. Apparently it's complicated but both studios actually have the rights to them, Fox because they're mutants and Marvel Studios because they're long time Avengers. Theoretically, you could have two different versions of them with different actors playing them at the same time

He mentions it in the 3rd last paragraph in this.

Oh and both studios also have the rights to the skrulls, due to their Fantastic Four connection.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 44,993 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so is this set before or after the first, given the main guy we see in the trailer...

so is this set before or after the first, given the main guy we see in the trailer...

The answer is public knowledge, and part of the show's promo material, but I'll spoiler-text it to save the blushes of those allergic to such things!
    it's set after the events of the film; Whedon is basically resurrecting Coulson due to his popularity, so the characters death never happened; instead it's going to be retconned

The thread dedicated to the TV show can be found here, where the subject has been oft-talked about!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The answer is public knowledge, and part of the show's promo material, but I'll spoiler-text it to save the blushes of those allergic to such things!
    it's set after the events of the film; Whedon is basically resurrecting Coulson due to his popularity, so the characters death never happened; instead it's going to be retconned

The thread dedicated to the TV show can be found here, where the subject has been oft-talked about!

Had a debate about Coulsen with somebody else on boards after the first movie , saying that he is alive. When somebody else was saying that he was dead. I really want to resurrect that old thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Source

Loki not back :(

ah i dont mind that.

be plenty of him in thor 2.

Had a debate about Coulsen with somebody else on boards after the first movie , saying that he is alive. When somebody else was saying that he was dead. I really want to resurrect that old thread :D

Technically he died and the plan was for him to stay dead but the out cry from some nerds made Whedon change his mind and resurrect him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Technically he died and the plan was for him to stay dead but the out cry from some nerds made Whedon change his mind and resurrect him.

Where did you hear that?

Nerd outcry never stopped Whedon from killing characters and them staying dead in Whedon world before. ;)

Where did you hear that?

Nerd outcry never stopped Whedon from killing characters and them staying dead in Whedon world before. ;)

Yes but Whedon is working for Disney now and if Disney think that bringing Coulson back will appease fans then they are going to do just that. Coulson was dead, there was never any doubt of that. We saw Loki's blade pass through him then die, and the decision to delete that moment from the home release implies that a decision was made to rewrite the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's kind of like a game of financial chicken between Downey Jr and Marvel. A really stubborn game of chicken with 100s of millions of dollars being thrown around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Robert Downey Jr really was always going to be the winner on this one he is the star of the Marvel Universe. There was no way Marvel were going to cut of their nose to spite their face.

The Billions they are making from these movies started with and continues to grow from the attraction of Robert Downey Jr to the cinema going public. They weren't going to risk changing the headline star now.

Crazy money they're throwing around; I'd wonder if this will cause a precedent and Downey's co-stars will follow in his footsteps. Clearly he's the biggest conventional box-office draw, but perhaps Evans, Hemsworth et al will realise there's a few increases to be had if they use a little brinksmanship. The wage bill could become quite hefty quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think Marvel realise how much of a hard time they'll have recasting the character of Stark, it'll be much more difficult job that WB will have recasting Batman. RDJ owns the role in so many ways it's ridiculous.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Officially titled 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Officially titled 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'

So no Thanos? Wonder does this mean we'll have Hank Pym, Wasp and The Vision showing up.

Advertisement