Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

West Highland Terrier Problem

• 07-08-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

I'm bringing my lad into a vet tomorrow, but he's breaking my heart to look at him...started off with a little scratching, and usually happens and dies down again around this time of year, but the scratching has gotten really bad this year.

His back is red raw, and he's pulling clumps of his hair out.

As i said im going to a vet tomorrow, but does anyone have a clue what it could be or someway to give him a litte rest bite until tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Westies are very prone to skin problems as I'm sure you know, it could be food related, it could be flea allergy (doesn't have to have fleas, one hops on and bites then leaves and he gets reaction), could be environmental.
    The first thing the vet will probably do is get him on an exclusion diet to eliminate grain and other common allergens.
    Do you use non bio powder to wash his bedding? non bio is best with extra rinse cycle, Fabric softner can set off some dogs.
    Is this only occurring in summer?
    What do you wash the dog with?

Sorry to ask all these questions but the vet will probably ask all these and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

might be some form of a mite infestation maybe calamine lotion like youd use for chicken pox relief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

mymo wrote: »
    Westies are very prone to skin problems as I'm sure you know, it could be food related, it could be flea allergy (doesn't have to have fleas, one hops on and bites then leaves and he gets reaction), could be environmental.
    The first thing the vet will probably do is get him on an exclusion diet to eliminate grain and other common allergens.
    Do you use non bio powder to wash his bedding? non bio is best with extra rinse cycle, Fabric softner can set off some dogs.
    Is this only occurring in summer?
    What do you wash the dog with?

Sorry to ask all these questions but the vet will probably ask all these and more.

didnt know that about the fleas...naturally first thing we did was check for them on him and other dog too. yeah believe it only happens during the summer. im away at college a lot, but the parents tell me only summer. we used only dog shampoo...then changed when it started...and tried human stuff when it continued just in the hope it might help. An dont worry about asking questions...anything that helps at this stage would make me and a little dog very happy.
    concur4u? wrote: »
    might be some form of a mite infestation maybe calamine lotion like youd use for chicken pox relief

never thought of using calamine...might dig around see if we have any. cheers!

Be careful of calamine lotion I think its toxic to dogs if they lick it.

Be careful of calamine lotion I think its toxic to dogs if they lick it.

avoiding the calamine! was a little concerned that could be possible

• Advertisement

Do you have any porridge oats?
    According to this link a bath with oats added may ease the itching, also says antihistamine can be given:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/itchydog.htm

I think we once gave a dog Pirotin(sp?) liquid antihistamine to a dog on vet instructions, but can't remember dosage, I know it was done by weight.

were going to try Zertex, an antihistamine. anything just to give him some relief. going to take him for a walk to keep him distracted too.

Be very careful, the tablets are measured for a human, a westie is a lot smaller than a person, the dose could be very dangerous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Be very careful, the tablets are measured for a human, a westie is a lot smaller than a person, the dose could be very dangerous.

I've a bit of experience with westie skin problems.
    Is it just along his back? Or have you noticed he's at his paws, ears, or other bits?
    Is there any Orange staining on his coat, other than around his mouth?
    It could be mites, but they tend to affect the feet, legs and ears, not the back.
    So, to see have you a case of atopy, the common westie skin condition... Is there a yeasty smell from him? Skin feeling damp? Blackening of the skin? Thickening of the skin? Coat feeling greasy? Ears itchy? It is more common to see it on the underside and legs, but I've seen a number of westies rip hair from their back too.
    If this is atopy, your dog will get antibiotics first off, as it sounds like his skin is "active" with infection. The vet will also probably put him on steroids to calm the itch. And he will definitely need to be given medicated baths.
    Atopy is an auto-immune disease, the body attacks the natural skin bacteria which healthy dogs don't react to. The damage to the skin from scratching causes secondary bacterial infections. Longer-term, he may need to be given an immunosuppressant drug.
    It is not caused by food, but it is not helped by a poor or unsuitable diet. vitamin E is great for skin health, so fish oils and small amounts of liver in his diet long-term will need to be thought about.
    So, he will need to go to the vet asap. This is not one you'll manage alone, whether it's mites or atopy.
    For now, nizoral dandruff shampoo is the closest over-the-counter medicated shampoo you can get for human atopy, if you can get some in the chemist today and bathe the dog with it, he should feel some relief til he gets to the vet. He should get to the vet tomorrow.

DBB wrote: »
    I've a bit of experience with westie skin problems.

Modesty!

But yea, its happened in previous years, and he got an injection which calmed it. However on his recent annual check up it was a different vet in the clinic and he claimed the injection wasnt available anymore. In the past it was just him scratching an area and it would stop with the use of that shampoo you mentioned. However just yesterday evening and today he has actually started to bite out clumps on his back and is tail.

No orange stain (apart from the usual one on his mouth)
    I noticed a blackening of the skin in the past, not this time.
    Coat feels good but he was bathed yesterday in baking soda.

He is going to a vet tomorrow, if his usual isnt available ill find somewhere. I only posted here hoping to get some short term help to help him relax...he's had a good rest, and i played with him to tire him out hoping he'll get a good nights sleep.

I think this may have gotten worse with age. He's getting on in the years which is something i dont like admitting! Anyway .. he loves his trips in the car so he'll be delighted tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, and I'll give an update with what the vet says.. I really appreciate the help, and very valuable information, thanks!

• Advertisement

eldwaro wrote: »
    Modesty!

Is it immodest to say you have a bit of knowledge about something?:confused:
    I posted because your original post suggests you don't know what's wrong with your dog who is clearly in quite severe discomfort, and "Westie skin" happens to be a topic I know a bit about. I didn't expect for you to get smart about it.:rolleyes:

Atopy gets worse with age. It also tends to be worse in the summer but the seasonal element tends to become blurred with age. Some vets are brilliant with atopy, others are seriously behind the times with proper treatment. Just my experience.

DBB wrote: »
    Is it immodest to say you have a bit of knowledge about something?:confused:
    I posted because your original post suggests you don't know what's wrong with your dog who is clearly in quite severe discomfort, and "Westie skin" happens to be a topic I know a bit about. I didn't expect for you to get smart about it.:rolleyes:

Atopy gets worse with age. It also tends to be worse in the summer but the seasonal element tends to become blurred with age. Some vets are brilliant with atopy, others are seriously behind the times with proper treatment. Just my experience.

No im just saying you're know loads about it...really appreciate your input! I was being genuine!

Well fingers crossed things go well tomorrow, and we get a good vet!

Heartbreaking seeing the poor lad tonight...raging it flared up so bad on a sunday...feel helpless!

Fair 'nuff;)
    If the vet diagnoses Atopy, your folks should consider always having a supply of the necessary meds and shampoo (malaseb, though there is a cheaper generic version available now) so they can pre-empt outbreaks in the summer months, and react immediately on the first signs of itchiness.
    There is also a very useful spray you can get called Cortavance, which helps stop itching. It doesn't cure the problem (Atopy isn't curable) but it brings symptomatic relief from itching and stops the dog opening up healing skin when he gets the odd scratchy spot during recovery.
    You can only get it from the vet, but all owners of Atopic dogs should have this in the house. I've used it on myself from time to time (dermatitis), and can tell you it stings a bit at first, but it definitely calms the itchiness!

Advertisement