Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jurassic World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

irishh_bob wrote: »
    if you want to see dinasaurs in all thier splendour , watch walking with dinasaurs with narration by kenneth branagh

1. dinosaur
    2. Sadly, about half of the depictions in WWD are no longer considered accurate. Entertaining - yes. Particularly educational - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I havnt checked really. But since the whole *dinosaurs are giant birds feathers and all* discovery broke I've been fearing the image of a T-Rex looking like some sort of overgrown turkey.

So Galvasean being our local Alan Grant put me out of my misery.

Does the T-Rex have feathers or is it only the smaller dinosaurs like the velociraptor?

And what about the Utahraptor and Dinonycaus?

edit:

Oh GOD!

Young_Tyrannosaurus_rex_02.JPG

T. rex chicks would certainly have had feathers. Smaller (human sized) members of the tyrannosaur family had a reasonable amount of feathery coating. I would imagine male T. rex would have retained a small amount of feather coating in adult life for display purposes, but not a full body coat (this is speculation as no feathers or skin impressions of T. rex have been yet found.
    Dromaeosaurs ('raptors') of Velociraptor size (about 3 feet tall, half the size as portrayed in the movies) were almost completely covered with feathers . While IIRC no skin or feather impressions have been found of Deinonychus or Utahraptor*, I would say they had quite abit.
    *A new paper on a recently discovered complete tahraptor is being written. not much is in the public domain yet, but the writers have hinted that it looked very different to what we imagined, particularly the skull. It was also considerably larger than expected.

As for new dinos in JP4, the Lost World book featured a dinosaur called Carnotaurus which (in the book) could change colour like a chameleon. i'm sure the fans would love to see one, only problem being they featured heavily in Disney's Dinosaur (albeit without the colour changing ability and drastically exaggerated size).

Carnotaurus.jpg&sa=X&ei=7fI7Tv2JOM6KhQf6sPWnAg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEr0Jwp5c2_c0McxAEj_PJRp3wECA

Interestingly, a close relative of Carnotaurus has recently been described and it was massive - approaching T. rex in size and had a very stocky, named Ekrixinatosaurus novasi.
    http://www.notosoft.com.ar/pdfs/Juarez_Porfiri_Calvo.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

The idea of *talking* raptors though has been present since the first film, they just didnt push it in your face in a really bad way and it had a bit of menace to it.

Posh_Raptor_by_TinyDojo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

The first pics have been leaked:

The Story is about
    Michael Buble
    being hunted down by
    Velociraptors
    :D

tumblr_l55mkoFkOE1qbvrtoo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1312639492&Signature=KFCimBOIashqlClp4yMfTplfiWg%3D

tumblrkzv4d6stpl1qbvrtoo1400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I havnt checked really. But since the whole *dinosaurs are giant birds feathers and all* discovery broke I've been fearing the image of a T-Rex looking like some sort of overgrown turkey.

So Galvasean being our local Alan Grant put me out of my misery.

Does the T-Rex have feathers or is it only the smaller dinosaurs like the velociraptor?

And what about the Utahraptor and Dinonycaus?

edit:

Oh GOD!

Young_Tyrannosaurus_rex_02.JPG

He is more Jack Horner than Alan Grant. :P

Nonsense! I am definitely an Alan Grant type. I even have the cool hat and a dubious relationship with a young and attractive work colleague to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This will be the 1st Jurassic Park without Stan Winston :(

Stan_Winston_2a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

any newer word on a new JP film ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

leposean wrote: »

I'm in two minds. I'd like for them to leave it alone but to be honest, I feel they owe us a better offering than the third one.

I liked that the raptors were the focal point for the film but killing off the T-Rex is a big no no. Fúck off with your fin dinosaur tbh.

• Advertisement

Reason I posted was I had just watched the third one. Its terrible compared to the other 2, very weak cast but I actually really enjoyed it

They are re-releasing the first one with added 3D next year so I'd say it could be a while off yet. No idea if they plan to give 2&3 the 3D gloss.

Galvasean wrote: »
    They are re-releasing the first one with added 3D next year so I'd say it could be a while off yet. No idea if they plan to give 2&3 the 3D gloss.

They only re released the first one a few months back. 3d or not thats dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Dammit, I just bought the Trilogy on sale in HMV on Blu-yay! Now I'll have a missing movie if they bring out a 4th!!

Skinfull wrote: »
    Dammit, I just bought the Trilogy on sale in HMV on Blu-yay! Now I'll have a missing movie if they bring out a 4th!!

you have 2 films too many already

you have 2 films too many already

Yeah but I'm a completest! Cant just go buying one movie from a set...that would be... wrong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skinfull wrote: »
    Cant just go buying one movie from a set...that would be... wrong!

You really, really can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can you still not get Jurassic Park on its own on Blu-ray? I don't want the other two or three films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just amazoned it and seems not... very odd.

In general, though, I honestly just can't understand the compulsion to buy genuinely bad sequels for completion sakes. Money could be spent on something decent instead! I guess if a trilogy is all that's available, but it's a shame that's the case.

They only re released the first one a few months back. 3d or not thats dumb

EVERY last human being should have the privilige of seeing Jurassic Park in the cinema. EVERY LAST ONE.
    Can you still not get Jurassic Park on its own on Blu-ray? I don't want the other two or three films.

That's how they get ya? ;)

• Advertisement

Possibly they cant sell it on its own? The distributor probably got offered a discount deal for the the blu ray option but only if it included the entire series over simply just the first one.

I cant imagine too many people would buy the sequels as standalones if they could get the first one on its own. Most of the people I know who bought a trilogy boxed set have yet to watch either of the sequels.
    I remember when they first released them on DVD they were available to buy seperately. The first one became quite hard to find, but the sequels were shelf fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I cant imagine too many people would buy the sequels as standalones if they could get the first one on its own. Most of the people I know who bought a trilogy boxed set have yet to watch either of the sequels.
    I remember when they first released them on DVD they were available to buy seperately. The first one became quite hard to find, but the sequels were shelf fodder.

IMO JP2 is a solid movie.

Hey I really like JP3! Its fun! Not too big of a fan of JP2 though.

syklops wrote: »
    IMO JP2 is a solid movie.

I'm also of that opinion. It has a couple of WTF? moments, but over all it's a solid film. JP3 was several steps too many in the direction of daftness for me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Possibly they cant sell it on its own? The distributor probably got offered a discount deal for the the blu ray option but only if it included the entire series over simply just the first one.

True, but given how eager studios are to get Blu-ray prices down, I expected them to have released a standalone version of the first film by now. That's what happened with the Alien films. At first they were only available as part of the Anthology boxset, then about 4 months later they released standalone editions. But the Alien sequels are probably a lot more popular than the JP ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm also of that opinion. It has a couple of WTF? moments, but over all it's a solid film. JP3 was several steps too many in the direction of daftness for me..
    JP2 disappointed me because they only used the very barest parts of the plot from the book, but I guess if you ignore the book it's not a bad movie. Can't say I'm crazy about Julianne Moore in it though.

Just amazoned it and seems not... very odd.

In general, though, I honestly just can't understand the compulsion to buy genuinely bad sequels for completion sakes. Money could be spent on something decent instead! I guess if a trilogy is all that's available, but it's a shame that's the case.

You can get it on it's own from April 23. It's being released as part of the Universal 100th Anniversary collection.

You can get it on it's own from April 23. It's being released as part of the Universal 100th Anniversary collection.

Ah, cool! So I was right.

• Advertisement

On a related note, I was in HMV Henry St. yesterday and they were selling the steel tin trilogy BluRay for €79.99 :eek:

Advertisement